Sponsored

Driveshaft Shop Carbon fiber driveshaft + MGW Shifter install and review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Hey everyone I wanted to write a small review after installing my MGW shifter and Driveshaft Shop Carbon Fiber Driveshaft.

Everyone has read the reviews on the MGW and it does not disappoint. It's packaged well and has literally everything you need. I am glad that the driveshaft was out of the way as it made things extremely easy.

The boot was the most challenging part but is critical in keeping dirt and water out of the shifter box.

The driveshaft was fairly easy to install as well and I wanted to touch on a few key points.
I am not using a super precise scale but I measured the stock EB Manual driveshaft at 29.9lbs which includes every OEM bolt and the rubber damper from the trans.
The CF driveshaft weighed in at 21lbs with all of its hardware including the aluminum adapter for the trans, adapter for the differential and all of the hardware.

It does not include a tap so I highly highly recommend getting a m10x1.25 tap to clean out the holes on the rear differential.

After attaching the aluminum adapter to the trans you will need an 8MM Ball ended Allen socket to properly torque down the bolts into the aluminum adapter. An Allen key would work but you won't be able to get accurate torque.

Otherwise it's straight forward to install it and clears everything with room to spare.

Overall I'm very impressed. The driveshaft has made getting out of first gear much more smooth and direct. Rev matching is a breeze too with no added NVH. The shifter is also great. Very direct and has a very solid feeling!

Thank you WMS for the great price on the driveshaft and MGW for the great shifter!

Here's the adapter plate bolted up the the rear differential.

Here's the adapter plate bolted to the transmission.

More install pictures.
16553122340_751edf6bc0_c_d.jpg

--
16714630726_817c0bf98d_c_d.jpg

--
16554405899_66b6e7e872_c_d.jpg

This is where you'll need the special Allen socket
16739330261_d4721276b0_c_d.jpg

Final product
16739450912_26b8d2b0f1_c_d.jpg
Sponsored

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Nice post. I am pretty interested in the one-piece driveshafts. My father-in-law is a mechanic and has already given the thumbs down on the factory two-piece in my wife's 2014, so it sounds like a good excuse to mod! I'm still not sure about CF vs aluminum. On the one hand, I'd want the maximum weight savings, but on the other I'm unsure how much abuse the CF could take from road debris befor it's fatal to the DS. I'm also surprised it only saved 8lbs over stock.

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Anthony have you done high speed driving yet to see if there is any vibration going from two piece to single driveshaft? I have the dss carbon shaft on a few of my custom cars and love it, makes a huge difference in driving and power delivery and smoothness. I did have one on my 5th gen camaro with the hopes of solving bad vibrations, it helped but didn't make the vibrations vanish.

It's expensive for sure and wish dss dropped pricing to sell more

Also what shifter ball is that in the photo I really like it.

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
How many miles on some of those cars after installing the CFDS, MustangCollector? How do you drive them? How do the driveshafts look now? Thanks!

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Nice post. I am pretty interested in the one-piece driveshafts. My father-in-law is a mechanic and has already given the thumbs down on the factory two-piece in my wife's 2014, so it sounds like a good excuse to mod! I'm still not sure about CF vs aluminum. On the one hand, I'd want the maximum weight savings, but on the other I'm unsure how much abuse the CF could take from road debris befor it's fatal to the DS. I'm also surprised it only saved 8lbs over stock.
It does have a fiber glass lining on it. So if something was to hit it hard enough it would chip it, if it was alumnim in the same situation it would dent it.

The stock driveshaft is fairly light. It's just the stupid rubber damper that has to go and the carrier. I will be doing a lot of racing so it will get its share of abuse.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Anthony have you done high speed driving yet to see if there is any vibration going from two piece to single driveshaft? I have the dss carbon shaft on a few of my custom cars and love it, makes a huge difference in driving and power delivery and smoothness. I did have one on my 5th gen camaro with the hopes of solving bad vibrations, it helped but didn't make the vibrations vanish.

It's expensive for sure and wish dss dropped pricing to sell more

Also what shifter ball is that in the photo I really like it.
No vibrations at all. I did a pull up to 120 and didn't notice anything. I should be going faster at the road course though.

Biggest thing for me on why I went cf over alu is it being able to absorb some nvh. Overall I am really impressed.

It's from a company called WC Lathe Werks.
http://www.lathewerks.com/shop/

It's full titanium and is very heavy. He can make anything you want, best shift knob on the market in my opinion.

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
It does have a fiber glass lining on it. So if something was to hit it hard enough it would chip it, if it was alumnim in the same situation it would dent it.

The stock driveshaft is fairly light. It's just the stupid rubber damper that has to go and the carrier. I will be doing a lot of racing so it will get its share of abuse.
That's good to know that it's reinforced with something a little better suited to take blunt impacts.

Is there any data yet on what kind of power the stock DS can take?

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
That's good to know that it's reinforced with something a little better suited to take blunt impacts.

Is there any data yet on what kind of power the stock DS can take?
No idea on the stock driveshaft, I saw a video of a last gen v6 mustang go over 140 and the stock driveshaft blew. I don't know how stout they made these from the factory.

The DSS CF is rated for 1000hp and the DSS Aluminum is rated for 800hp.

Mikeyd56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium PP
I am little confused on what the tap is being used for cleaning wise? Also did the driveshaft come with directions?

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I am little confused on what the tap is being used for cleaning wise? Also did the driveshaft come with directions?
The OEM driveshaft bolts have loctite on them from the factory. Loctite is also in the threads of the differential. To get proper torque it's ideal to clean the threads before putting new bolts in.

No directions but it's straight forward.
Remove catback
Unbolt driveshaft from transmission and differential
Also unbolt the carrier from the chassis
Unbolt guibo from the transmission.
Bolt aluminum adapter to trans
Steel adapter to diff
Bolt in driveshaft
Bolt in catback
And go!

Sponsored

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No idea on the stock driveshaft, I saw a video of a last gen v6 mustang go over 140 and the stock driveshaft blew. I don't know how stout they made these from the factory.

The DSS CF is rated for 1000hp and the DSS Aluminum is rated for 800hp.
I am planning on going with a mgw and dss driveshaft as well. Has anyone made a drive shaft safety loop for our cars yet? The only one I have seen is the one that's incorporated with the blowfish shifter bracket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I am planning on going with a mgw and dss driveshaft as well. Has anyone made a drive shaft safety loop for our cars yet? The only one I have seen is the one that's incorporated with the blowfish shifter bracket.

I am not sure, other than the blowfish one I know BMR has one but I don't know if it bolts to the shifter as well.

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am not sure, other than the blowfish one I know BMR has one but I don't know if it bolts to the shifter as well.
That was my only concern, because I know if you run mid 11s at the track or slicks they require it. Even on the street it would suck if something went wrong without a safety loop.

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
That was my only concern, because I know if you run mid 11s at the track or slicks they require it. Even on the street it would suck if something went wrong without a safety loop.

I won't touch the drag strip. But I do know what you mean. If I have some spare time maybe ill fab something up!

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I won't touch the drag strip. But I do know what you mean. If I have some spare time maybe ill fab something up!
Sweet sounds good, they have them for the 11-14 models I wonder how much different it is for the 15s.

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.