Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
It would be foolish if you didn't consider any significant lightweighting, some of which is pretty out of the box.
Any chance they do much to redesign the interior? Would be killer if they would pull some cues from the GT(maybe like the steering wheel)! That would make it very special. One can dream I guess!

Ford-GT_2017_interior_6543.jpg
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I'm just relaying what Bmac noted. 3800 lbs ? 'Sounds about right' I rounded up to 3850.
Guess there are other foolish people here.

I fully agree, no where did I say it would beat a demons DRAG time, but I fully expect it to keep up with it on the road. There is a huge difference between a street and a prepped track. Also, guys aren't gonna drive around with race fuel and even if they did, most have a loaded rear and front seat and it's still not putting all the power to the street. Same with the GT500. I'll make friendly wager ($1.) it does better than your 10.5 tho. By several .1
Gentleman’s bet. You’re on!

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
It would be foolish if you didn't consider any significant lightweighting, some of which is pretty out of the box.
Just use aluminum like with the trucks. Doesn’t have to be too fancy. Carbon composite. Carbon. Lots of ways

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I really hope they don't go for a crazy horsepower number just for the sake of being able to do it. I want power that can actually be used on the street or track without having to turn to drag radials. Maybe it will have a progressive tune that doesn't blow the tires off from a dig and ramps up at speed. Taking that even further maybe different engine power settings tied to different modes.
I agree.

From B's posts, however, there's something in place that gives it superior launch capabilities than ZL1. What that is we don't know. We know it's not AWD. Perhaps a trick launch control from the DCT, or maybe even more mass over the axles by virtue of a transaxle.

Ford has sandbagged with the 2018 promo shots; "455" was less than the official number of 460hp, which according to the armchair dyno mathematicians is underrated.
There was another photo showing "755", and another showing the rpm count as 2.6 (x 1000rpm), which didn't align with the speed of the gear displayed. My thoughts are if Mustang GT is sub 4 I'd be hoping the 500 would be significantly quicker. Maybe that 2.6 is a hint of a sub 3.

SlowShelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Grabber Blue GT500
Personally, the pricing that has been suggested/opined is too high.

Take the new Zl1 at what, 61k, and compare it to a 2012 zl1 at 48k. If you do the same thing to a GT500 you see a MUCH larger disparity with a 80k msrp.

In real world driving and acceleration, the zl1 stomps the gt350, and has a lot more bolt on promise to be amazing. To add 20k to the base price of a ZL1 and say you can stomp it (at what most people will never do) is plain stupid to me.

FYI, this is coming from a long time gt500 owner, with a daughter 17 days out that will be named Sheby. I will be pissed if Ford makes me choose between a hellcat and a Zl1....

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Gentleman’s bet. You’re on!
:cheers:
I think the second one with the added torque with the EB (electric boost) will have it easily handled.
1st one, I'll take my high number, but still lower than your 10.5

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, the pricing that has been suggested/opined is too high.

Take the new Zl1 at what, 61k, and compare it to a 2012 zl1 at 48k. If you do the same thing to a GT500 you see a MUCH larger disparity with a 80k msrp.

In real world driving and acceleration, the zl1 stomps the gt350, and has a lot more bolt on promise to be amazing. To add 20k to the base price of a ZL1 and say you can stomp it (at what most people will never do) is plain stupid to me.

FYI, this is coming from a long time gt500 owner, with a daughter 17 days out that will be named Sheby. I will be pissed if Ford makes me choose between a hellcat and a Zl1....
You lost me here. They were never intended to compete with each other, especially on straight line performance.

As for the 500, well, they want something to not merely compete, but to vanquish. The performance level of the super coupe segment continues to rise, and the bits required to get there get more expensive. My advice, if a >$65k car is too much for you: get a loaded '18 GT, and put a blower on it. You'll have ZL1-eating performance with that, too. Or, get a '13-14 GT500.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In real world driving and acceleration, the zl1 stomps the gt350
They aren't aimed at the same type of buyer.

An F150 stomps the Zl1 in how many sheets of plywood it can haul. Apples to oranges. Now someone might buy a GT350 for straight-line acceleration but it would be dumb, just like buying a Zl1 to haul plywood.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Just like the weight reduction people were hoping for with the S550 launch.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
:cheers:
I think the second one with the added torque with the EB (electric boost) will have it easily handled.
1st one, I'll take my high number, but still lower than your 10.5
Okay. So to confirm:

I’m at 10.5 and somewhere around 135mph (not relevant to original bet)

And

You’re at 10.2. Is that correct?

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Any chance they do much to redesign the interior? Would be killer if they would pull some cues from the GT(maybe like the steering wheel)! That would make it very special. One can dream I guess!

Ford-GT_2017_interior_6543.jpg
I doubt it but that would be nice. I think the interior finish (mainly material) is what holds back the Camaro, mustang and challenger. The performance is beyond the bmw, Mercedes, Audi similar cars. When you pay over 75k you expect an equally adequate interior not the same interior from a 25K car. They have made strides in the last few years and I think it’ll just continue to get better.

SlowShelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Grabber Blue GT500
You lost me here. They were never intended to compete with each other, especially on straight line performance.

As for the 500, well, they want something to not merely compete, but to vanquish. The performance level of the super coupe segment continues to rise, and the bits required to get there get more expensive. My advice, if a >$65k car is too much for you: get a loaded '18 GT, and put a blower on it. You'll have ZL1-eating performance with that, too. Or, get a '13-14 GT500.
I understand they are not targeting the same buyer, but they are the same class car at similar price points. It is natural to compare them and cross shop them, no?

I understand Ford may want to really make a statement, but if making said statement comes at a 30% higher price (going buy your opined 80k base msrp), then what is the point? To me, beating your competition means offering better performance at similar price points. 61k =/= 80k.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I doubt it but that would be nice. I think the interior finish (mainly material) is what holds back the Camaro, mustang and challenger. The performance is beyond the bmw, Mercedes, Audi similar cars. When you pay over 75k you expect an equally adequate interior not the same interior from a 25K car. They have made strides in the last few years and I think it’ll just continue to get better.
I'm hopefully due to the fact we are now talking about a 80-100k potentially car! We should expect more in that price range. I do agree though that fords interiors are getting better!

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
The design for this car was completed a little over 10 months ago. It is killer. You will see it in January.
Is this inside information or pure speculation? What do you know? Either way I hope you are right!
Sponsored