Sponsored

My Muffler Delete

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Dude, holy crap! This sounds beyond amazing! Could you PLEASE tell me if it drones at all? I can't stand a car that drones. And would you please be able to take in-car videos while driving it? I wanna know how it sounds like doing 2-3k rpm shifts and possibly a WOT? Thanks a whole bunch! But I might literally do that exact setup if it doesn't drone as soon as tomorrow morning!

Dennis.P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost Premium

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
Waiting to hear somebody pull off a muffler and resonator delete with a Catless downpipe ;)

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
No drone unless... you're constantly manipulating the throttle, but if you're doing that you most likely wouldn't be on the highway anyways. You also have to keep in mind that I don't have a solid roof over my head. With my top and windows up I can still hear somebody walk behind my car lol.
I recently changed my V6 convertible to Magnaflow 11365 mufflers. I'm very glad to hear a fellow convertible making changes. I have been very detailed in defining my drone to trouble shoot it to see how to get rid of it.

So forgive my detailed inquiry because I want to learn as much as possible as to what changes create what drone. So no drone unless... exactly what? The best way to test for drone is to set the cruise control on the freeway (top up windows up) where your rpm is at 1500* (6th gear), notice how this sounds.
Click + a few times until you get to 1600 rpm, notice how this sounds. repeat this until 2000 rpms or where ever cabin noise drops off pretty much. What one person may call drone, another may say 'cool sound'. BUt judgements aside, if you can report back what you hear a these various rpms, it will others better information to evaluate for themselves if it is a fit for them.

Bottom line, Glad to have another convertible experimenter. We seem to be few and far between. ;)

PS. Anyone with the same car in a hard top that duplicates Wesley's mod, it would be very helpful if you too could do the same rpm level inside car sound test. :thumbsup:

* my V6's drone actually starts below 1300 and is there all thru the range to 3000 rpms. My best estimation of the peak level is at 1700 rpm.

If you want to see my drone and investigations into it go here:
post #34 is the cabin drone video.
post #33 is before and after idle/rev plus fun Drive away & Drive by. :D
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19410&page=2

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
What I mean is you cannot hear the exhaust UNLESS it's under load regardless of how low your rpms are. I have cruised at 2k with no drone or at least nothing louder than the usual cabin noise. Your droning issues MAY have been caused by your mufflers. Removing mufflers is about as natural as it gets and when using an aftermarket muffler that someone else has designed, there are just way too many variables to account for
That is great! Awesome to hear (no pun intended ;)). So when accelerate gently (or even a little more than gently) you hear the nice exhaust sound that is coming from the tail pipes, no interior resonance that could be considered drone like? It is good to here of no drone success! :D

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
That is great! Awesome to hear (no pun intended ;)). So when accelerate gently (or even a little more than gently) you hear the nice exhaust sound that is coming from the tail pipes, no interior resonance that could be considered drone like? It is good to here of no drone success! :D
This is exactly what I'm trying to say! If under regular acceleration scenarios there is no drone (interior resonance), and just the exhaust note. Then that's the best thing ever!

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Dude, holy crap! This sounds beyond amazing! Could you PLEASE tell me if it drones at all? I can't stand a car that drones. And would you please be able to take in-car videos while driving it? I wanna know how it sounds like doing 2-3k rpm shifts and possibly a WOT? Thanks a whole bunch! But I might literally do that exact setup if it doesn't drone as soon as tomorrow morning!
And I too agree that an interior video would be very helpful, indeed. :)

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What I mean is you cannot hear the exhaust UNLESS it's under load regardless of how low your rpms are. I have cruised at 2k with no drone or at least nothing louder than the usual cabin noise. Your droning issues MAY have been caused by your mufflers. Removing mufflers is about as natural as it gets and when using an aftermarket muffler that someone else has designed, there are just way too many variables to account for

Ever try some braided stainless steel/other, with heat wrap, as part of a straight-thru exhaust..?

Removes repeatable frequencies & resonance.

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Ever try some braided stainless steel/other, with heat wrap, as part of a straight-thru exhaust..?

Removes repeatable frequencies & resonance.
Having lots of drone, I am interested in any solutions. Can you describe further what you mean? What specific materials might you try and how would you apply/install them.
Thanks

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
Alright here's your interior sample. I just remembered to do this on the way home, so it was more of a last minute thing. Keep in mind that I have a convertible top.

In this video, I start off with cruise control at 60, then 65 and finally 70. You can only hear the exhaust when the cruise control was accelerating up 5mph, and then you can't hear it anymore. Would have done 5mph intervals up to 80, but that's too fast for this small congested highway

I would recommend getting rid of the mufflers and just put in straight pipes. There's too many things that can go wrong with mufflers. You'll spend ages trying to figure out what is causing the drone.
You made me check my phone for a message

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
That license plate lol awesome

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Alright here's your interior sample. I just remembered to do this on the way home, so it was more of a last minute thing. Keep in mind that I have a convertible top.

In this video, I start off with cruise control at 60, then 65 and finally 70. You can only hear the exhaust when the cruise control was accelerating up 5mph, and then you can't hear it anymore. Would have done 5mph intervals up to 80, but that's too fast for this small congested highway

You might have to turn your volume up a bit, it literally is really that quiet lol​

I would recommend getting rid of the mufflers and just put in straight pipes. There's too many things that can go wrong with mufflers. You'll spend ages trying to figure out what is causing the drone.
Thanks for the interior video. The extemely loud ghoul screech at the end had my ears ringing and taking your name in vane though!

Can you make a drive away w/ drive by video? Or have you found one you can link like your set up? Damned ZOmbiE! :eyebulge:

Lynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang
how much did it cost, and please next time no little girls screaming in the end of the video, it turns me on ;)
Sponsored