Sponsored

2017 Mustang GT ticks

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Hi guys,

my 2017 Mustang GT base model ticks since a couple of month when it is not warmed up. I googled a little bit and found some others with the exact same noise.
I can hear it very well in my garage in the morning and it doesn't sound very healthy.

Here is a video of somebody elses car having the exact same noise.

It is quite hard to replicate if no gear is in, but in 1 and 2 gear I can hear it a lot.
After the car warms up the noise disappears. Was at the dealer, but I couldn't replicate it. Does anybody know what the issue is?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hi guys,

my 2017 Mustang GT base model ticks since a couple of month when it is not warmed up. I googled a little bit and found some others with the exact same noise.
I can hear it very well in my garage in the morning and it doesn't sound very healthy.

Here is a video of somebody elses car having the exact same noise.

It is quite hard to replicate if no gear is in, but in 1 and 2 gear I can hear it a lot.
After the car warms up the noise disappears. Was at the dealer, but I couldn't replicate it. Does anybody know what the issue is?
My car does this a bit when cold with that BBQ tick. I've heard it in parking garages and when leaving my house when the windows are down. I looked into it and chose to just ignore it. Seems like a lot of the Coyotes do this. I don't see any check engine lights or anything that appears to feel wrong with it. I chose to just let it go since its gone when everything is up to temp anyway.

Think it has something to do with the bearings and lubrication.

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
OK, then I will live with it. Luckily I can't hear it on the inside of the car.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
OK, then I will live with it. Luckily I can't hear it on the inside of the car.
If anything, as anyone should regardless of car, don't drive it hard until things are up to temperature.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
I get this at 1750-2000 RPM especially when warm...

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That sounds so weird and it sounds like the rpm would drop when it happens. It almost sounds like a bad pinging.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
A member on here had this noise, sent oil to blackstone labs for analysis. They said it all looked great. Then he took it to the dealer and they found that there was engine damage. That noise is absolutely not normal for a healthy car. It's ridiculous that anyone thinks it's ok. Don't bury your heads in sand and pretend it doesn't exist. The source needs to be found in each car before the warranty runs out and you're left with a 600lb paperweight of an engine.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
I was at the dealer last week and hope to get it opened up this coming week. They said they smelled burned oil and just changed the oil 2-2.5k miles ago. My ticking is only heard when warm now but is consistent. I got videos i will post them when i get off my flight later tonight

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Eww, I'd be sure to take that in. It changes as you rev and is never consistent. It doesn't sound right, and even if its the BBQ tick, get it documented at a dealer.

Sponsored

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Finally dropped it off. Thankfully I got the extended warranty so no out of pocket for a rental/loaner... Which was not brought up prior. Updates when I get them.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
It's so weird that Ford doesn't automatically give you a loaner when your car which has a warranty is in the shop for a problem... It's ridiculous.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
It's so weird that Ford doesn't automatically give you a loaner when your car which has a warranty is in the shop for a problem... It's ridiculous.

Agreed. I was told there has to be more than 4 hours work hours scheduled before they will cover a rental.... Until then it is on my dime. But if they are backed up and won't get to it for a couple days and you can't bring it in when they are ready you're kinda SOL.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Was called yesterday... Apparently my concerns and replicated ticking coming from the engine were not translated to the mechanics properly. I am some how getting a new throw out bearing instead. :doh:
Sponsored