Sponsored

Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So we drove BMWs from 2005 to 2011, first a 330is with their Performance Package and then a 2008 M3. When the Coyote came out, we test drove, and were so impressed we switched to Mustangs. At that time a similarly optioned and powered Mustang was $20k less than an M3. We've been Mustang enthusiasts ever since, and have custom ordered three. (And we've owned four, the first was not a custom.)

Presently own a 2015 Fastback GT PP and a 2016 Convertible GT PP. Love them, but...

Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)

Anyone have thoughts on this. (Other than to suggest that I'm a troll, which I'm not, or to say something derogatory about San Francisco?)
My mom has an M240i Vert. fun car, but nowhere near the performance level of a GT performance pack. Also, the 240s feel like a cheaper built BMW. Not sure why.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Around me, BMW's drop in price like a rock once they are off warranty. Having owned a BMW off warranty, I fully understand why.

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
you wont get the same feeling of a musclecar
no V8 rumble
no cheap aftermarket mod stuff
you will feel the repair costs if you keep it past warranty compared to the Ford

does the bmw have more or less options than the 2018 Ford?
Just to reinforce what Gurjit said about the repair costs after the warranty, My previous BMW X5 35i (N55) was about to end its warranty and during the time of ownership, the warranty paid approximately $15,000 in repairs.

I've owned two BMWs in the past and I have to say, I got more compliments in the Mustang than I had with my 3 series and X5. Will I consider buying another BMW in the future, perhaps but not for sporty reasons.

But hey if you want a BMW go for it, they're still great cars overall :)

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Loll on more resale value as opposed to a GT mustang. People with the ability to type in an internet search will grimace at the thought of purchasing any BMW outside of 60k miles or warranty. I'm putting an old 302 in a Z3, no not a troll, but it's hard to beat a V8 that ''you'' can work on .

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)
The year is 2017, and Kia can make a decent car. Believe it or not, BMW's brand equity is not what it used to be, and the used market will mainly be made of people that want to have a sense of false class consciousness, rather than the performance merits of the car.

In other news, most drivers of this forum are proud that the Mustang is made by Ford because it's the most American brand, helped in fast forwarding the interstates of this country, beat Ferrari in Lemans from 65-69, and provided wartime production for two world wars. Last time I checked, German engineering was on the loosing end of two world wars :)

:ford:

Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Nothing wrong with going back to a brand that you love - it's incredibly common. If you have a great experience with a car that makes a lasting impression, and then switch to another vehicle (no matter how good the new vehicle treats you), you're incredibly likely to go back to that first fun car.

Nostalgia is a powerful emotion.

I couldn't see myself owning a BMW, only because I have loyalty to other German autos, and I definitely couldn't see myself owning a German turbo 6 out of warranty. It'll be a fun car, but comparing it to a Mustang would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Although they are clearly excellent cars, the newer BMW's dont seem to have any soul or personality. They all look alike and seem fairly generic looking. I know they perform, but for me, they don't do it. I'll take the Mustang.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Regardless of what anyone on the forums says, go with what you like more. If Mustang is no longer your thing, so be it.

I always keep my mind open. When the time comes to replace/upgrade I'll look into what my bank allows me to.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
When you first started typing this question to post it on Mustang 6g, did you expect to get non-bias answers? lmao?

DeadLoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I would rather have the mustang with 20k put into it. That's what I did. I came from a 2008 BMW m3. Traded it in for a mustang and sold my other car to build it. Was also debating with an m4/m3 but decided this was what I'm going to do. And I'm loving it.

BMWs are awesome cars. But very..... very expensive to mod. Or your just another guy driving a stock BMW.

M2 is a little joke I wouldn't even consider that over a GT. Teenager car

Sponsored
OP
OP

dB Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Vert 6M PP MagRide AE FPTune Vel./Mid.Blue
When you first started typing this question to post it on Mustang 6g, did you expect to get non-bias answers? lmao?
Actually, no I didn't!

I was kind of hoping to be nudged back into the Mustang pool, and y'all are doing a pretty good job!!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
All the housewifes around here drive BMW's. If that's how you won't to roll, enjoy.
People who are secure with themselves don't really worry about what other people drive...:crazy:

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Get the car YOU will be happy with. And you'll look back at and smile and say "thats my car."
88cf91490dffd66ef358824fdf1b02df.jpg

This is a quote I live by. Buy a car that you'll do this.
I tell people this all the time. Any car I ever own, I have to want to look back at it as I walk away and look forward to seeing it again.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I really like the M2's and even the m240i. To be honest I wouldn't mind a 440i at all. I love my mustang but the shitty build quality wears on me sometimes. With the price of the 18's it would be inexcusable. 53k for a well optioned PP premium GT and still having squeaks and rattles all over the place is ridiculous. I hope Ford steps up their game, as this is the worst built car I've ever had. I love it to death, and there's a certain pride I feel rolling around in an American car that's just a pure icon and has tons of history. I love the v8, the sound, the power, the looks. It's a damn sexy car. But I do miss a well built car sometimes. I wouldn't blame you for switching it up, but I'd go used in the BMW. Buy that carmax warranty and get it 20k cheaper than new with like 12k miles on it haha.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
BMW greater resale...?

5bf.jpg

There's a reason why you can pick up a 2014 M5 for under $40K now. A car that stickered for over $100K
Sponsored