Sponsored

Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

dB Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Vert 6M PP MagRide AE FPTune Vel./Mid.Blue
So we drove BMWs from 2005 to 2011, first a 330is with their Performance Package and then a 2008 M3. When the Coyote came out, we test drove, and were so impressed we switched to Mustangs. At that time a similarly optioned and powered Mustang was $20k less than an M3. We've been Mustang enthusiasts ever since, and have custom ordered three. (And we've owned four, the first was not a custom.)

Presently own a 2015 Fastback GT PP and a 2016 Convertible GT PP. Love them, but...

Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)

Anyone have thoughts on this. (Other than to suggest that I'm a troll, which I'm not, or to say something derogatory about San Francisco?)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
you wont get the same feeling of a musclecar
no V8 rumble
no cheap aftermarket mod stuff
you will feel the repair costs if you keep it past warranty compared to the Ford

does the bmw have more or less options than the 2018 Ford?

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with [MENTION=24202]Gurjit[/MENTION] you won't get the v8 rumble. But I will admit if you put the right exhaust they can sound sick. I heard a 2018 m4 with a titanium exhaust and that was a beast. I will probably get one in 3-5 years. Depends on how much I love the 'stang. This will be my first V8 mustang. So we'll see.

Reactions: A7X

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Bingo. Get what you want. Just don't justify your next purchase on a Mustang forum. I doubt you'll find many people giving you a high five or sharing your opinion.

OP
OP

dB Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
you wont get the same feeling of a musclecar
no V8 rumble
no cheap aftermarket mod stuff
you will feel the repair costs if you keep it past warranty compared to the Ford

does the bmw have more or less options than the 2018 Ford?
Those are pretty good points. I was looking for those.

I know there is an inherent advantage to a naturally-aspirated 5.0 V8 vs. a teched turbo 6 that plays "engine sound" through its speakers.

And it's true, I would never keep a German car out of warranty. (But the warranty is longer, and includes service.)

One thing I've been thinking about is that the 14-year-old boy in me (I'm 44) still likes roaring up to a stoplight and hearing an actual 14-year-old kid say to his friends, "Dude, did you hear that 5.0?!" Makes me smile every time.

And it's not like kids put a poster of an M240i on their walls, right? (?!)

I'm seriously tussling with this, thanks for any and all thoughtful comments.

Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
Those are pretty good points. I was looking for those.

I know there is an inherent advantage to a naturally-aspirated 5.0 V8 vs. a teched turbo 6 that plays "engine sound" through its speakers.

And it's true, I would never keep a German car out of warranty. (But the warranty is longer, and includes service.)

One thing I've been thinking about is that the 14-year-old boy in me (I'm 44) still likes roaring up to a stoplight and hearing an actual 14-year-old kid say to his friends, "Dude, did you hear that 5.0?!" Makes me smile every time.

And it's not like kids put a poster of an M240i on their walls, right? (?!)
I'm seriously tussling with this, thanks for any and all thoughtful comments.
I wanted a bmw m4 (I'm 25) but my parents made a good point. I asked them what THEY can see me in. And their response was a V8 mustang. I see them around town (of course where I live is mostly beamers and Mercedes driven by old folks (70+). I was actually wanted a AMG C63S. But I looked around where I live and decided against it.

Get the car YOU will be happy with. And you'll look back at and smile and say "thats my car."
88cf91490dffd66ef358824fdf1b02df.jpg

This is a quote I live by. Buy a car that you'll do this.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So we drove BMWs from 2005 to 2011, first a 330is with their Performance Package and then a 2008 M3. When the Coyote came out, we test drove, and were so impressed we traded in the 414hp M3 for the 412hp Mustang that very day. At that time a similarly optioned and powered Mustang was $20k less than an M3. We've been Mustang enthusiasts ever since, and have custom ordered three. (And we've owned four, the first was not a custom.)
Sure seems like a lot of cars for San Francisco.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I think that the question really comes down to what you want to do with the car.
If its a daily driver grab whichever makes you happy. If you have other plans for it, that can sway the decision one way or the other.

Personally, I plan on eventually making my Mustang a dedicated track car once it's out of warranty. The difference between making a Mustang a track car and a BMW M4 a track car is a significant price delta and the cost of operations and maintenance made this a no brainer when i was shopping.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)
Problem with the 2 series apart from M2, is that looks like a box on wheels, engine sounds terrible, the badge and the 240i will always be seen as the car bought by someone who could not afford an M2.

OP
OP

dB Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Sure seems like a lot of cars for San Francisco.
Well, if you're interested, it went:

2005 BMW 330is PP
2008 BMW M3 (traded the above)
2011 Mustang GT Convertible with Brembo's (realized we needed two cars)
2012 Mustang GT Coupe with Brembo's and rare Lava paint (traded the M3)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback PP (traded the 2012)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP (traded the 2011)

So we've never had more than two cars at once. (But true, that has not always been easy in SF, at least we have a garage and a driveway.)

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I have a friend with a BMW 2 series with all the M goodies on it. It's a very cool little car. I keep on talking to him about coming out to the
track with me. Odd thing is that he's constantly talking to me about my car. It's like he's got some type of thing for it. From a design
perspective BMW knocked it out of the park with the 2 series. I would definitely be interested in a raced out M2.

At any rate, do what makes you happy. It might even be an easier car to own living in the city. Lord knows finding a spot there that I can
fit in is a PITA...

On a separate note, before I bought my mustang I was looking at a beautiful 2016 BMW M3 (yes 4 door) in Alpine White. It was gorgeous
but with the 7 speed DCT and all the options it was a $70K car :eyebulge:. That was the end of that.

OP
OP

dB Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Why do you want to trade your car? Both are still new.
Oh, I probably won't for quite a while. I was just looking at where the Mustang seems to be going in its pricing and looking at comparisons. (We're all always looking for the next and better, right?! Well, at least those of us who are buying newer Mustangs.)

I've had the 2016 for less than two years, I couldn't bear to take so big a hit to trade it in the immediate future.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
All the housewifes around here drive BMW's. If that's how you won't to roll, enjoy.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm always amazed at the practical side of this gen Mustang. You can actually carry stuff in these cars as the trunk is pretty big. I can fit a 6 foot step ladder in the back with the seat folded down.

And for track days, everything fits in the trunk with room to spare. Not sure if that is a consideration for you, but you won't get that in a 2 series.
Sponsored