Sponsored

Speedhut Gauge Wiring

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I ordered some Speedhut gauges (boost, fuel pressure) and I'm prepping to wire them up. The speedhut wiring is pretty straight forward - I need to find and connect the following on a 2015 Mustang GT :

1. +12v switched source (this will be the main power to the gauges when the key turns on. I am planning to add a circuit to the passenger kick panel fuse block at position 29 or 30 which should give me switched 12v power when the acc/run position is on.

2. Ground - pretty simple - I'm sure there's a handful of options when I get under the dash so I'm not sweating this one.

3. +12 Dash Lighting - this is the one throwing me for a loop because this is to wire the inverter for the needle illumination and night time illumination. It needs to be 12v but ONLY come on when the car headlights do. I thought maybe the gear shifter illumination plug in the console based on something I read here - but that only metered 2.8v. I need 12v when the headlights come on. It won't work on a dimmer as the inverter itself provides the dimming so it needs to be 12v from what I gather.

I am planning, for now, to use the wire in the kick panel plug that people are using to wire their footwell lighting kits. It only comes on if the headlight switch is on but my hangup with that is that it will be providing lighting power to the inverter for the gauges even if the car isn't running, as the footwell lighting is on a timer. So I think it will make the gauges light up even if the car is off - which I'm not real sure about.

Anyhow - if anyone here knows a 12v hot wire inside this car that only comes on when the engine is running - please post up and I'll be glad to try it.
Sponsored