Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
One slight misstep during parking, and you're spending another $600.00

Come to think of it, it's a brilliant product and business plan; sell someone a very delicate piece of expensive C.F. that installs in an area that takes a real beating.

Repeat customers are guaranteed!!!

OP
OP
Joelang33

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Whippled 16 Mustang GT Premium PP
One slight misstep during parking, and you're spending another $600.00

Come to think of it, it's a brilliant product and business plan; sell someone a very delicate piece of expensive C.F. that installs in an area that takes a real beating.

Repeat customers are guaranteed!!!
Thanks for the opinion. yeah I have been thinking along those lines as well. but I am not really concerned with price as all parts for this car are very expensive and I am stock height so as long as im careful I should be ok.

that being said... anyone else running this piece? I'd love to see some pics.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I prefer something that goes deeper behind the bumper. I already see that I need to add a couple more strut supports between my APR splitter an the chassis, somewhere under where the engine is for added support. Now, if it is just for look, then to each his own. ;-)

OP
OP
Joelang33

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I prefer something that goes deeper behind the bumper. I already see that I need to add a couple more strut supports between my APR splitter an the chassis, somewhere under where the engine is for added support. Now, if it is just for look, then to each his own. ;-)
so you think apr is a better option? it there any other carbon ones on the market with that similar look?

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally do, but opinions are like assholes.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
ZL1 add-ons offers something somewhat similar, just not CF, for like $300.

Every APR splitter I've seen (in CF) looks like garbage after a year of being on the car. There is little point in paying big money for a CF splitter you don't intend to properly install with intent on gaining actual downforce. Just get something plastic, then.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My APR parts all look great. You have to take care of them like you do the paint on your car. But, with about 7K miles with the splitter, and about 8 hours of track time, it still looks new. But I agree. If it is just for looks, then buy what is cheap and looks the way you want it to look.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
That's awesome. The ones I've seen, after a good 20K (and in one case, 50K) miles, they faded and the gel coat was chipping off. One guy has the big APR wing, too, and that's absolutely destroyed from a finish perspective. It's not acceptable given how expensive that stuff is, in my opinion. Not a dig on APR, per say, just doesn't seem any CF products look good for a long period unless they're taken to a painter to be properly UV coated with a proper clear coat, which just adds tons of money and nobody ever does it. Anyway, I'd rather just have something made of HDPE plastic, which is very strong. Everyone always uses ABS because it's cheap, but it's weak unless structured like the OEM splitter, but aftermarket splitters are just a flat piece cut to a shape.

OP
OP
Joelang33

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome. The ones I've seen, after a good 20K (and in one case, 50K) miles, they faded and the gel coat was chipping off. One guy has the big APR wing, too, and that's absolutely destroyed from a finish perspective. It's not acceptable given how expensive that stuff is, in my opinion. Not a dig on APR, per say, just doesn't seem any CF products look good for a long period unless they're taken to a painter to be properly UV coated with a proper clear coat, which just adds tons of money and nobody ever does it. Anyway, I'd rather just have something made of HDPE plastic, which is very strong. Everyone always uses ABS because it's cheap, but it's weak unless structured like the OEM splitter, but aftermarket splitters are just a flat piece cut to a shape.

do you know if that kit made by ZL1 add on is the HDPE plastic? I actually like the look of it and like how it has a 3 piece set with the side skirts and rear skirts

Sponsored

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Why not just get a fiberglass one? It's a ton cheaper and a few ounces heavier and looks same.

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
If a CF part fades just because of exposing to the environment, it's just absolutely rubbish CF and simply a scam product.

I had a full carbon fiber bicycle and it looked glorious as it was new after 4 years of riding. It's also generally know the Carbon bicycle frame can remain same performance for as long as ten years, let along any chips or color fade.

Carbon fiber is the type of thing being expensive only because of the procedures to properly manufacture one. It takes high level machinery inspection for quality and a large amount of products are destroyed in factory by not meeting the qualification. They are so expensive because you are paying for the destroyed ones as well as the delivered one.

However, if one manufacture doesn't care about the internal quality and stability, it can actually be cheap to produce and there is no reason to charge a high premium over plastic, which is unfortunately the case of most aftermarket CF cosmetic mods.

OP
OP
Joelang33

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Why not just get a fiberglass one? It's a ton cheaper and a few ounces heavier and looks same.
because it doesn't look the same? carbon fiber is the look im going for. don't want to take shortcuts on this build, want to take things to the next level :headbang:

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
because it doesn't look the same? carbon fiber is the look im going for. don't want to take shortcuts on this build, want to take things to the next level :headbang:
Just wrap it with vinyl wrap and it would look same from a foot distance. A 20-dollar project.

By the way, the carbon fiber with real strength and performance are the ones without the patterns, and they just look like plastic. Some manufactures, at least for the bicycle case, would add an outer layer of patterned weave just to fit for the cosmetic demand.

No offense but real men don't care for patterned carbon fiber:amen:. (As a cyclist)

OP
OP
Joelang33

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Just wrap it with vinyl wrap and it would look same from a foot distance. A 20-dollar project.

By the way, the carbon fiber with real strength and performance are the ones without the patterns, and they just look like plastic. Some manufactures, at least for the bicycle case, would add an outer layer of patterned weave just to fit for the cosmetic demand.

No offense but real men don't care for patterned carbon fiber:amen:. (As a cyclist)
not really the look I was going for. I don't want to vinyl wrap anything else either. I always loved the look of full carbon pieces as it shows how much you put into the build as well as the unique look. as the thread post states I was looking for people who are running this part or know things about this part. to be honest sir I believe real men don't buy v6 mustangs :lol:
Sponsored