Sponsored

ford has a new plan

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
No way self driving cars take hold for another 20 years plus. Americans love to drive. Maybe in large urban congested areas but we won't be relegated to track use only anytime soon.

We the people still rule. Did anyone pay attention to this last election. The self driving, save the environment side lost. The silent majority still has influence and we love to drive.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
No way self driving cars take hold for another 20 years plus. Americans love to drive. Maybe in large urban congested areas but we won't be relegated to track use only anytime soon.

We the people still rule. Did anyone pay attention to this last election. The self driving, save the environment side lost. The silent majority still has influence and we love to drive.
I wish you were right but have you talked to the next driving generation? They don't even want to own a car, let alone drive. Ride sharing rules and if they have to buy a car, you can bet that they want it to drive them around, just like their parents do now.

I give it 5 years for almost every manufacturer to offer a self-driving model and it will be in wide use, IMO.

DUJALA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-LB w/Black OTT
I wish you were right but have you talked to the next driving generation? They don't even want to own a car, let alone drive. Ride sharing rules and if they have to buy a car, you can bet that they want it to drive them around, just like their parents do now.

I give it 5 years for almost every manufacturer to offer a self-driving model and it will be in wide use, IMO.
I unfortunately have to agree with this. I work with middle school kids and teens and I would say half have no desire to get their license. I would also say less than 33% actually care about performance cars. They would love a self driving car so they don't ever have to look up from their phones. Car enthusiasts are a dying breed...

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
This conversation reminds me of the scene from the movie Wall-E where all the people of the future are toted around with screens in front of them. Looks like the concept is becoming true.
IMG_2043.JPG

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not to get political, just to add clarity to your statement: individuals (and entities) purchase vehicles. The "self driving, save the environment side" you speak of outnumbered the "side that won" by far. Those are plain facts, not political opinion.

The majority of actual individuals are not in the group you think they are.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Yes, but the "next generation" isn't the majority. We still have lots of folks that are still interested in vehicles and driving.

Boomers aren't all dead. The earliest Gen X'ers are barely hitting 50. I'm one of the early Millenials and my group of cohort did not grow up with smartphones and some of us enjoy driving.

Cars are going to be around for a while, and self-driving vehicles will not take over any time soon.

OP
OP

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
Yes, but the "next generation" isn't the majority. We still have lots of folks that are still interested in vehicles and driving.

Boomers aren't all dead. The earliest Gen X'ers are barely hitting 50. I'm one of the early Millenials and my group of cohort did not grow up with smartphones and some of us enjoy driving.

Cars are going to be around for a while, and self-driving vehicles will not take over any time soon.
I don't know what you mean by soon We the world are on the edge of another technology boom it is happening in everything you come in contact with whether you know it or not. Driving cars in the near future 10 years will not totally go away but look at the 5 levels of driver assist that already is out there the only thing keeping it from blooming is the legal liability issues We are going to Mars!!! maybe we can drive our mini spaceships there

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Not to get political, just to add clarity to your statement: individuals (and entities) purchase vehicles. The "self driving, save the environment side" you speak of outnumbered the "side that won" by far. Those are plain facts, not political opinion.

The majority of actual individuals are not in the group you think they are.
We will have to agree to disagree and I am in no way making any type of a political statement either. Maybe the self driving millennial crowd are too busy to look up from their phones and social media sites to vote.

I see you are in Ohio. Maybe the numbers are aligned with your statement there but here in Texas they are not.

Back on topic. Hopefully Ford continues to utilized Ford Performance as a research and development platform to roll some cool technology throughout the entire product line and give us some awesome cars and trucks to drive.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The "self driving, save the environment side" you speak of outnumbered the "side that won" by far. Those are plain facts, not political opinion.
The loser in the last election had 2.1% more votes of the total cast. Big cities tend to help that way. Step outside those areas and see the country voted red.

2016_large.png

I don't like the road we are going down but it is inevitable. When I leave this world I'll be happy in knowing I won't be around with all the crap the younger generation is going to be "embracing."

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Dirt doesn’t get to vote.... Maps like this make no sense to reality. ;)
Exactly.

And, since we're talking about car sales and not elections... there were more than two candidates that had votes cast for them...

That said -- I'm not here to have a political debate, but we shouldn't bury our heads in the sand and pretend electoral maps are any indicator of consumer tendencies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That said -- I'm not here to have a political debate, but we shouldn't bury our heads in the sand and pretend electoral maps are any indicator of consumer tendencies.
Do you ever drive outside of a big city? If you do, either you don't look around, or you are kidding yourself.

Consumers ABSOLUTELY buy different things outside of a big city.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Do you ever drive outside of a big city? If you do, either you don't look around, or you are kidding yourself.

Consumers ABSOLUTELY buy different things outside of a big city.
Your assumptions about my experiences aren't relevant to this conversation.

Cincinnati is not a big city.. and we border Kentucky lol. In fact my office windows look straight over the river into NKY. I saw a guy with a Prius yesterday that had a piss on CNN and MSNBC sticker on one side and a Don't Tread on Me Sticker on the other. My county voted GOP. And I'm well traveled - so please refrain from assuming I'm the one with the closed mind or limited perspective.

Voting GOP or for Trump doesn't mean the person wants to roll coal or drag race just as voting Dem or for Hillary doesn't mean the person wants to hug trees or drive an electric vehicle.

We're more diverse and complex as a country than red and blue, and even if we weren't... the past election results don't contribute to your or Houston Kid's position, they detract from it. The fact is the majority of Americans (regardless of where they live) did not vote in a way that lends credence to your position. That is a fact, not opinion. You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to like it. It still exists and is true. There's no need to agree to disagree. I don't need to agree with anyone to understand that a fact exists.

Now, back to the topic ---

Future of performance cars
Sponsored

Last edited: