Sponsored

To black roof or not to black roof!

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Just an fyi here's some closeup shots of my roof showing details of the wrap I had done. Someone on here asked for them a while back. The shop that did my work used a liquid "glue" for the edges and also a tape to help hold it down.
Been my DD for 3 years without a single issue on the roof.
20160517_183348_resized.jpg
20160517_184919_resized.jpg
20160517_184926_resized.jpg
20160517_184935_resized.jpg
20160517_184944_resized.jpg
Sponsored

93notch5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP, 1993 LX 5.0 Notch
I have been debating the same thing and am now going forward with the glossy black vinyl on my 17 Lightning blue. I really like the look from behind when you also have tinted windows. I put on blacked out 5.0 and horse badges, eliminated the GT emblem, and am installing SVE S350 wheels in gloss black. IMO, the LB with gloss black looks great, plus with vinyl over the paint option, you can easily remove if you change your mind.

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
Just an fyi here's some closeup shots of my roof showing details of the wrap I had done. Someone on here asked for them a while back. The shop that did my work used a liquid "glue" for the edges and also a tape to help hold it down.
Man even if I wouldn't do CF, they did a damn good job with that wrap. I saw a couple local guys where you could see the bad cuts around the edges and corners.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
well i know this is a old thread.. i just ordered some avery gloss black vinyl. 5ftx6ft. 51 bucks.. my buddy owns a tint place. hes been tinting for a long time said he could do it for me for like 50 bucks seeing as i bought the vinyl.. will see how it goes.. going to get it done next month when the weather breaks

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I did my roof a week ago. Not perfect, but from far away can't really tell. Up close, there are a few bubbles which are slowly coming out (hasn't been warm enough outside), and the side edges are not straight. Was my first time working with vinyl so I will eventually redo it. One other thing, since my car is yellow, it's very easy to see mistakes in the seams between front and back glass, as well as on the sides by the doors. Darker colored cars would be more forgiving.
IMG_6110a.jpg

Sponsored

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
I am thinking on wrapping my ruby red's roof black. Got quoted $300 is that fair?
The "good" local shops around me charge 300 for roof wrap. Whether that is a good price or not, make sure they are using high quality film that will last. I know people locally that saved 50-100 going elsewhere, but their vinyl was all cracked within a year, while others that spent a bit more have had no issues for more than 2-3 years. If your debating over 50 bucks, make sure you are comparing apples to apples, you usually get what you pay for, but at same time, don't get ripped off. A lot of vinyl shops will have flat rates for roof wraps on their site and what materials they use.

I'm thinking of having my roof wrapped in black too, on the fence about it right now, I've seen another Orange Fury color with black roof, just not sure if I like it enough to go do it. At least it isn't permanent if I don't like it down the road, that's what I keep telling myself.

0rd0cfvv48l01.jpg

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
I might try to do mine myself as well. You should get some Knife tape if you want to do it yourself, so you can get a perfectly straight cut.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I might try to do mine myself as well. You should get some Knife tape if you want to do it yourself, so you can get a perfectly straight cut.
Just make sure you don't lift the tape up when you lift the vinyl to re-position or release bubbles. I did that and ended up having to cut the edge by hand and it sucked.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
yeah cheap vinyl will go to crap in a yr or two thats for sure .. from what i researched avery and 3m are on of the top ones, theres a few more but avery is second its 3.2 mils thick which is pretty nice for vinyl, i even talked to a few install guys and they said avery was one of the best they used and lasted

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I'm pretty sure it was me that asked. I was curious how it looked in the outer edge roof seams.

Looks like your installer did an amazing job. It ends at the seam without going into the seam just how id want it.

Any idea how this glue is to be removed? is it permanent??

Anyone with an actual painted roof from the factory show some close up pics of the seam areas??

I'm curious what ford uses as their demarcation line for the black/color.

Steven9194

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT California Special
I know this is late in the game to be asking on here, but does anyone know if there are any good applicators for vinyl in South Carolina? I've been thinking about wrapping my roof in gloss black on my Kona Blue. How do you think the gloss black would look against that Kona?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I know this is late in the game to be asking on here, but does anyone know if there are any good applicators for vinyl in South Carolina? I've been thinking about wrapping my roof in gloss black on my Kona Blue. How do you think the gloss black would look against that Kona?
Since you asked.... it will look worse to me. I don't like black roofs on dark colors period. I only like black roofs when they provide significant contrast and are part of a scheme that would include black spoiler, mirror caps, badging, etc..

Steven9194

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT California Special
Since you asked.... it will look worse to me. I don't like black roofs on dark colors period. I only like black roofs when they provide significant contrast and are part of a scheme that would include black spoiler, mirror caps, badging, etc..
Any opinions are welcomed. I couldn’t decide if it would look good on a darker car or not. But I agree it would look good for sure if the car were a light color.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
mines lightning and i wrapped my roof myself well me and a buddy and it looks awesome to me, yeah i also have a black gt350 spoiler 20 % tinted windows and black rims so it matches my theme
Sponsored