Sponsored

Passing emissions with my Procharger

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well that dreaded day has happened. I can't get two of the emissions monitors to pass, O2 and the O2 Heater. I've followed the drive cycle instructions in the factory manual twice to the letter and have put 1000 miles on the car since the last tune update. The tuner said all the emissions stuff is turned on in the tune. I've read lots of posts where guys with S197 mustangs had a bear of a time to get these same two monitors to set. Anyone out there get their car to pass and know of any specific tricks to get them to set on our cars?

Aside from that, I'm thinking of installing the tune that came with the procharger, but from what i gather the tune I have now was based on the PC tune, so not sure it would help.

Its a stage two, so also wondering if I put the OEM injectors and spark plugs in if I could leave the BAP installed, leave the MAF on the intercooler, pull the supercharger belt and re-install the factory tune. Would this work would the car run like factory??

Here is what the ngauge is showing when going into the monitors section under diagnostics. Basically the same info the Smog print out gave me, they said I have to have at least one of those last two sensors show ready. Also including the drive cycle info from the FSM for reference.

Anyone have any help for me or been through this and get it working?

Oh yeah, I there are no pending codes or anything, just these two monitors that won't go "ready"
nguage smog fail.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
dont think miles means a lot you have to do stop and go driving cold starts. sustained speeds of 30,40,55.. i had a problem getting the obd to ready for my inspection.. i installed breather filters, gutted my pcv valve. when i took it for inspection obd wasn't ready cause of evap stuff..so i changed back to stock pcv, ran the roush piping for it cycled it that night and it passed the next day

it is poss that one of your o2s is going. did you start the car in test mode yet and check

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
dont think miles means a lot you have to do stop and go driving cold starts. sustained speeds of 30,40,55.. i had a problem getting the obd to ready for my inspection.. i installed breather filters, gutted my pcv valve. when i took it for inspection obd wasn't ready cause of evap stuff..so i changed back to stock pcv, ran the roush piping for it cycled it that night and it passed the next day

it is poss that one of your o2s is going. did you start the car in test mode yet and check
Thanks for the reply. I suppose an O2 could be going, was under the impression it would either give a “ready” reading on the monitor or a trouble code if something was glitchy. I’ve checked with the Ngauge and there aren’t any trouble codes. Car only has 11500 miles on it, so who knows. I’m unaware of a test mode, is that acessed through the dash display?

As far as the different types of driving you describe, I daily drive it and put over 1000 miles of mixed city and highway over the few months with at least one cold start per day. Both yesterday and today I did the ford driving cycle instructions after a cold start to see if that would trigger the monitors. Was hoping that would do it, but nothing yet.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Stock cats or aftermarket???

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I have a friend with a Lund tune that has the same exact issue on his procharged 16. he has driven it for month in traffic, road trips, all around and they will not set.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Stock cats or aftermarket???
Stock cats.

I have a friend with a Lund tune that has the same exact issue on his procharged 16. he has driven it for month in traffic, road trips, all around and they will not set.
Well that’s not good news. If he finds a solution I’m all ears.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
If u have stock.cats,I would hook up.a scan and view live data of what your downstream 02's are doing and also make sure the heaters are working.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If u have stock.cats,I would hook up.a scan and view live data of what your downstream 02's are doing and also make sure the heaters are working.
I hate to be that guy, but not sure what kind of scanner. I have the Ngauge and a generic obd2 scanner that I’ve used to clear codes on other vehicles. Looking through the available PIDs on the Ngauge it wasn’t clear to
Me which PIDs would be for monitoring the O2s, and I didn’t see any that make mention of O2 heater. Thanks for any help you can offer.

chaoscentral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Are you 100% sure those monitors weren't turned off in the tune?

On my old 3V my tuner did some wizardry so I could pass a plugin OBD2 test with a cat-less H-pipe and all monitors showing ready. Usually the only time I have failed an emissions test is because the tune had them turned off like one of the canned tunes I had from AM prior to getting my 3V dyno tuned.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are you 100% sure those monitors weren't turned off in the tune?

On my old 3V my tuner did some wizardry so I could pass a plugin OBD2 test with a cat-less H-pipe and all monitors showing ready. Usually the only time I have failed an emissions test is because the tune had them turned off like one of the canned tunes I had from AM prior to getting my 3V dyno tuned.
Well I’m not 100% and can only go by what my tuner tells me. I asked for him to make sure and leave them on when I requested the tune. Then the other day I asked him to double check and he said that they were turned on. Not sure if anyone on here writes HP Tuners tunes, I’d appreciate a double check if anyone knows what they are doing.

I’m going to reach out to my tuner to see if he knows how to help me pass.

I’m also curious if anyone has passed with the Procharger tune on a stage 2 kit? I have the tune that came with the kit and wondering if that would work?

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I hate to be that guy, but not sure what kind of scanner. I have the Ngauge and a generic obd2 scanner that I’ve used to clear codes on other vehicles. Looking through the available PIDs on the Ngauge it wasn’t clear to
Me which PIDs would be for monitoring the O2s, and I didn’t see any that make mention of O2 heater. Thanks for any help you can offer.
If u can get any scan tool that shows data,u can u usually go in and see live data of what your 02,s are doing.If they are turned off In the tune nothing will show that pid section or it will say not available.If they are turned on u should be able to look at mv they are operating at and it will tell u if the 02 heaters are working or not.Note heaters will only be on for a short time during a cold start.But if u can look at the data between the 2 downstream 02,s and compare them live u can usually tell if one is not working correctly.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If u can get any scan tool that shows data,u can u usually go in and see live data of what your 02,s are doing.If they are turned off In the tune nothing will show that pid section or it will say not available.If they are turned on u should be able to look at mv they are operating at and it will tell u if the 02 heaters are working or not.Note heaters will only be on for a short time during a cold start.But if u can look at the data between the 2 downstream 02,s and compare them live u can usually tell if one is not working correctly.
Thanks, would think the ngauge should be able to do that since it’s live streaming all the data. I was looking at the 90 or so available PIDs on the nguage and none of them had “O2” in their description. I’ll have to go look at them all again to see if I can decipher their description better. Thanks again.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Yea I doubt the nguage would have live data for the downstream 02's the upstream yeh which would be the same thing as reading measured air fuel.But the downstream 02's only tell u how efficient your convertors are working.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
U know anyone with forscan??Or ids .

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yea I doubt the nguage would have live data for the downstream 02's the upstream yeh which would be the same thing as reading measured air fuel.But the downstream 02's only tell u how efficient your convertors are working.
Well shucks..

U know anyone with forscan??Or ids .
No I don’t. Hmm, I don’t have a laptop, but do have a little windows based tablet that might let me install some software.
Sponsored