FI and Part Throttle behavior

ptoemmes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible, White, PP 6sp
This post is NOT about which is the best supercharger. It's probably going to be a muddled attempt to describe what I am looking for from a power adder in order to determine the best blower (or type of blower - Centri versus PD) for my intended use.

I've mentioned earlier that I am interested in FI for a "cruiser" for my 2016 GT PP 6sp vert with 3.73 gears. 550-600rwhp HP and I assume 500 torque might be the full capability of the setup at WOT and 7,000 RPM plus, but I will rarely if even drive there - or even WOT in any gear at any RPM for very long.

Do not plan to track it in any way - really just looking for "reasonable" additional power (torque mainly I guess) in the 2,000-5,000 RPM range but under part - say 1/2 to 3/4 - throttle.

That's not to say I may never go WOT, but with 3.73 gears gonna have to be careful especially in the lower gears and from a dead stop. Do not really want to vaporize tires or swap the gears.

My only comparison was our 2007 Z06. At 505/500 crank it had gobs of low end torque. I realize this is apples to oranges to a 2016 GT: engine displacement, vehicle weight, gearing, NA versus desired FI, etc, etc, etc. But I do recall the feel of the power of the car at low(er) RPM. Slow by today's capabilities. You could take off in 3rd and not really lug. No, I don't want a vette - I LIKE this GT.

Iv'e read about the stock-like behavior of the Centri blowers at low RPM that then come on at higher RPM and build literally to redline. It does not sound like they would provide much part throttle additional power (torque) in the range I am taking about. But I am open to correction.

Perhaps a PD supercharger with conservative tune and good foot management gets the job done best.

I dunno...that's why I am asking.

Pete
Sponsored

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you want more torque 2-5000 rpm half throttle, why not just push down the pedal to get more torque out of the NA engine?
Maybe you need a more aggressive throttle pedal calibration instead of supercharger.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Whipple with 132mm TB drives better than when my car was stock. Innitially I had the stock TB on it. Partial throttle was horrible. However, switched the the 132mm TB and my car is so damn smooth at any throttle. Then, when you open it up....
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]PzAJ4GcicCs[/MEDIA]"]

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
PD blower. hands down.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I was originally going to go centri and was talked out by several car enthusiast for the exact reason you stated. Unless I wanted to drag stay away because i wouldn't be happy with low RPM behavior, they were made more for WOT as they build boost. I'm really happy with my set up (Roush) as a cruiser/weekend warrior. I main reason I went Roush was resale value, I know Whipple has a great product also, but "IMO" I feel more Joe blow average person is familiar with the name Roush. Again just my opinion.
My car drives and runs better than factory will just-cruising around with my wife.

Sponsored

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Why get a blower if you're not going to use it? I find it hard to keep myself from getting on the car. It's just too damn fun. The ROUSH cal shifts perfect at part throttle and has plenty of torque down low. If you're going to spend the money on a blower, what's another 600-1000 for the right gearing?

But I have seen the ROUSH kit run 10's on street tires (all-seasons) with a 3.73 rear end shifting into 5th... he did do half-shafts though and has since done gears...

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Why get a blower if you're not going to use it? I find it hard to keep myself from getting on the car. It's just too damn fun. The ROUSH cal shifts perfect at part throttle and has plenty of torque down low. If you're going to spend the money on a blower, what's another 600-1000 for the right gearing?

But I have seen the ROUSH kit run 10's on street tires (all-seasons) with a 3.73 rear end shifting into 5th... he did do half-shafts though and has since done gears...
Exactly, I am in boost all of the time. I average 11 mpg:headbang:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I figured he'd find that out as I did!!! Lol Once you add that SC'er its tough to keep your foot out of it!!! I had the same goals as he did, but once you get it your in WOT more than you think!!!

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
I figured he'd find that out as I did!!! Lol Once you add that SC'er its tough to keep your foot out of it!!! I had the same goals as he did, but once you get it your in WOT more than you think!!!
haha, yeah that is the main problem :D

Sponsored

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
PD blower, I have the Whipple with the Whipple cal and their 132mm TB auto and 3:55 gears. You almost don't know its there until about 1/4 throttle then it comes alive and pulls hard until redline and I average 18 mpg daily and get 22-24 on trips..

This car drives great and is crazy fun on the street.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
if your goal is like you say, part throttle boost, than a pd will fit better probably

to say a centri is drag only is a little stretch though, the boost just ramps up.

most people using a power adder go "wot" quite often, but you don't have to be wot to get boost in a centri setup.

just like your factory calibration in your auto, if your foot goes bast point ABC on the pedal, car will downshit, it's the cars natural characteristic.

more throttle, more boost, thats from any s/c it just ramps in different with a centri setup.

but, if all your doing is part throttle, then yes, pd will get you more of what you want,
Sponsored