Not open for further replies.

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Seriously!?! Does anyone actually read the OP myself and others poured time and money into? That WPT1239 is a JST connector part. It's less than $2. Don't waste your money on the Ford parts.
I even show a picture with f'n part numbers on how to make an adapter if you have MFT and want to go to Sync3. I then post a schematic showing exactly what USB cables you need from Ford AND how to route them for a factory install. Yet people still come in here and cause confusion.

Not to shit on you mkenny28; but you guys have to realize that every time someone posts a "I heard this on fusion2g," "I saw this on an F-150" "My friend who's ex-boyfriend who knew a guy tha once took a ride on a Harley knew this kid that swapped Sync 3 into his Focus RS and he said..." I get 5 PM's for each of those posts because its confusing people. I have laid this out as simply as I can. If I could source enough units and had the time to put together kits at cost I would. But until then please PM me before adding information that could cause confusion.
Whoa, calm down, I did my setup with that part number but I also mentioned you could use an old floppy disk drive connector. You could have easily PM'd me and asked me to edit my post or basically anything besides what you just did. I was one of the earliests to do the MFT to Sync 3 swaps so I didn't hear it from "a friend's ex boyfriend" or anything else I actually did the work and had success with it.
Sponsored

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
more feedback

Definitely still glad I did the upgrade. Still no regrets on spending more than necessary to get it as an all in one, preprogrammed kit. My replacement screen arrives today, and hopefully it won't have frame damage, so I can finally button up my dash. But have been using the system just fine, otherwise, for a week now.

I had said that sync3 was much better than CarPlay, so I turned it off most of the time. That is still generally true, but there are exceptions.

TEXTING: disappointingly, sync3 is barely better than sync2 for texts. You can receive texts thru both systems. In sync3 you can respond, but only with prewritten choices from a list. And you cannot initiate a text...only canned responses to one you receive. CarPlay works just like it does on iPhone. Most of my texting is stuff like..."on my way"...or "running late, but will be there". So short, but driving related, not long discourses, which are driver distractions.

NAV: I still like sync3 nav maps better than CarPlay, but searching via your iPhone is much broader and quicker than going thru the nav steps via sync3. 3 is better than MFT was, but you still have to say things in a certain way and go thru steps, unlike iPhone.

Best of both worlds would be if you could have CarPlay on, but hit the sync button and have use of sync3 nav maps, without having to disable CarPlay. Of course you wouldn't be able to do a search with apple and have it go to sync nav, anyway.

It's fun playing with both systems. Each has it's pros and cons.

THE FINAL TEST for me, will be when sync3 updates come out...both the system and the NAV maps. I want to see if I am able to easily update both, since I am in a 2015 model, which my vin will give away, of course. Time will tell, but I am hopeful. :first:

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
TEXTING: disappointingly, sync3 is barely better than sync2 for texts. You can receive texts thru both systems. In sync3 you can respond, but only with prewritten choices from a list. And you cannot initiate a text...only canned responses to one you receive. CarPlay works just like it does on iPhone. Most of my texting is stuff like..."on my way"...or "running late, but will be there". So short, but driving related, not long discourses, which are driver distractions.

:
On the phone page there is a "Siri" button. Touch that and say, "reply to that last text message". Or "send a text to John". You can then input your text via voice.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
On the phone page there is a "Siri" button. Touch that and say, "reply to that last text message". Or "send a text to John". You can then input your text via voice.
Yes, as I said, texting with iPhone (or siri, which is thru your iPhone) is great, as always. But if you are using only sync3 it is limited. I assume you are talking about having CarPlay off, but your iPhone connected. Better, but still cumbersome...you have to go to the phone page, then push siri. Takes your eyes off the road. In CarPlay, just hit the talk button on the wheel and use voice completely. Which, btw, I was able to do with MFT...so not much of a change, as far as texting.

Sponsored

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
So to make sure I understood correctly, this is all you'd need to go from MFT to Sync3?
It might help others see it visually and put a price on it
MFT-Sync3.PNG

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base with PP
... I notice also that you get your seat heat and cooling up on the Sync 3 Home Screen. I think that they edited a line of code in your APIM to get that.

In the APIM, my car, bone stock, does not show me those settings. They probably coded APIM line 07D0-01-01 from

xxxx xxxx x0xx (what mine was) to xxxx xxxx x2xx

to show both seat heat and cooling as yours does. I may change the code in my APIM next time I am using FORscan to do anything.
I went out and did this today - confirmed to work! My home screen now looks just like Rich's. You need FORscan with an extended license and the OBDLink MX which plugs into your OBD port. My APIM now reads for this line:

7D0-010-01 622A 0503 026F

Remember that those last two characters are a checksum, generated by the program. It changed mine from 6C to 6F.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I went out and did this today - confirmed to work! My home screen now looks just like Rich's. You need FORscan with an extended license and the OBDLink MX which plugs into your OBD port. My APIM now reads for this line:

7D0-010-01 622A 0503 026F

Remember that those last two characters are a checksum, generated by the program. It changed mine from 6C to 6F.
Cool. Glad you figured it out. I actually use it more now. On MFT it was so sluggish I never bothered.

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
Will a F150 APIM

Do you guys know if this APIM from a 16 F150 would work? I really need a Sync 3 upgrade
APIM F150 (2).jpg

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
My missing piece of puzzle is TE 1924955-1 terminals. On mouser.com, the minimum quantity to purchase is 7500, which makes it 232 bucks. Where did you guys purchase these terminals?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
My missing piece of puzzle is TE 1924955-1 terminals. On mouser.com, the minimum quantity to purchase is 7500, which makes it 232 bucks. Where did you guys purchase these terminals?
Buy your Tyco numbers from online components.com

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Do you guys know if this APIM from a 16 F150 would work? I really need a Sync 3 upgrade
You'll just have to try it. If the brackets are different [MENTION=29252]mgrey[/MENTION] had some that he was selling. Most likely it will work if you change all of the as built data with FORScan

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Buy your Tyco numbers from online components.com
Thanks for the response. Yes, I was able to find on multiple websites. But the only issue I found is I have to purchase TE 1924955-1 terminals in pack of 7500. Since that's the minimum amount required to purchase, a pack of 7500 would cost me $225. I think we only require about 25 or so terminals as per your guide. So is there a way where I can find them in smaller quantities?

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
This F-ing article is impossible to understand, it's like opening an engineering manual somewhere in the middle with no back story or directions. That being said, it's free. :headbonk:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
This F-ing article is impossible to understand, it's like opening an engineering manual somewhere in the middle with no back story or directions. That being said, it's free. :headbonk:
It's not impossible to understand. Take your time and read few times you will get it. The OP spent a lot of time and money into this and just because you don't understand, doesn't mean you have to disrespect it. There might be a video coming soon to show the process and hope that would help you.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.