Sponsored

If I get a '15 200a will I be able to swap out unit for Sync 3?

MustangEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KA24DE-R 240sx
Hello all. I was hoping to get an EcoBoost premium in the next month or two, and was wondering, if I do get it, will I be able to swap out the whole center unit for a Sync 3 one eventually?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlackWidow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2016 GT PP MT
From all of the information i have seen, No. They are two completely different systems from two different manufacturers. I'd be hard pressed to say they will be interchangeable. However, this does not mean it can't be done. It might just not be as easy as a direct OEM swap. Either way, it is still too soon to tell but I wouldn't bet on it.

OP
OP

MustangEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KA24DE-R 240sx
From all of the information i have seen, No. They are two completely different systems from two different manufacturers. I'd be hard pressed to say they will be interchangeable. However, this does not mean it can't be done. It might just not be as easy as a direct OEM swap. Either way, it is still too soon to tell but I wouldn't bet on it.
Well, I mean taking out the whole unit, screen and all. I know you can't use just the software, but if you pull out the whole "headunit" I wonder if you can.

veeATE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I am also wondering the same

oustaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2016 Mustang
Wait a couple months and you will have it straight from factory!!!

Sponsored

los1223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I have been wondering this myself as well. We'll probably have to wait until the 2016 is out and compare part numbers between both years for all possibly affected parts. If it's less than a few grand to make the swap, I might consider picking up a used 2015 next year when I'm ready to buy. If anyone has solid info on what would need to be swapped out and the cost of said parts, please chime in.

jZarco

Ride Fast or Go Home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I also really want to know what it'll cost to swap it. Unless they create a port of the apple CarPlay for the sync 2. That's all I really want, but I want enough that I'm highly considering ripping out the current display and everything to swap it for the new ones when they're out.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I would think Sync3 would a premium option anyway. Likely will not be available on 200a and 400a.... Have to go 201 / 401.

EleanorsBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Bumping this thread up
Now that the 2016s are on the street, is this possible?
I've got an Ecoboost Premium, and really want to get Android Auto/Sync 3 in my car! (warranty be damned)

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
First thing would be to see if the plugs are the same on the MFT versus Sync3. Ford couldn't have made it that easy though.....I am sure that buying the Sync3 head unit won't be cheap until there are a bunch of them in the wrecking yards.

I'm thinking there are probably some differences in the wiring and functionality over Canbus - i.e. you'll lose ability to control HVAC. I never use the HVAC controls on MFT or through voice, so I don't care.

I'm not holding out much hope this is going to be possible.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Bumping this thread up
Now that the 2016s are on the street, is this possible?
I've got an Ecoboost Premium, and really want to get Android Auto/Sync 3 in my car! (warranty be damned)
Except right now Sync3 has no Android Auto - I would personally wait until it does before doing any kind of swaps if that's what you're after.
Sponsored