Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Its simple, take the slowmaro for a long test drive see how it feels and see how you feel in it! Then make your decision!
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Logical because the SS does not have fake scoops (inside joke)!

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
You should also look into the Vette's. My dad just picked up a $63k MSRP Vette for $45k OTD.

Not sure if they are still running the specials on the new models, but slightly used Z51 Vettes loaded nicely can be had for low/mid 40s as well.

Really you just need to drive a LT1 powered car. They feel different than the Coyote. Much more oomph down low and through the mid range but it isn't as peaky, so the drop off at the top of the RPM band feels more dramatic as opposed to the drop off in the Coyote.

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
You should also look into the Vette's. My dad just picked up a $63k MSRP Vette for $45k OTD.

Not sure if they are still running the specials on the new models, but slightly used Z51 Vettes loaded nicely can be had for low/mid 40s as well.

Really you just need to drive a LT1 powered car. They feel different than the Coyote. Much more oomph down low and through the mid range but it isn't as peaky, so the drop off at the top of the RPM band feels more dramatic as opposed to the drop off in the Coyote.
On paper it seems that way but it doesn't really feel that way in reality.
Power is felt strongly to its 6500 rpm red line, the "power dropoff" isn't dramatic at all; believe me, I daily drive this thing daily. The low-mid torque is definitely punchier than the coyote. Punch it at any gear at 4000 rpm in track mode while no lift shifting at 5000+ rpm feels the best:)

OP, definitely test drive both. The visibility is not that bad imo(especially with the blind spot monitoring), I don't even think about it, but the bath tub feeling interior isn't for everyone. The 1LE currently is the best bang for the buck as a track ready car. If you arent tracking it the 2SS is plenty for most and more comfortable, especially with the magnetic ride.
When you test drive the ss, make sure the rev match is activated as it makes the up and downshifts feel about perfect everytime!

The 2018 GT will have a larger aftermarket and higher power ceiling than the LT1 without tearing in to it. If you are more into straight line performance, the 18 GT with 10A is a no brainier imo. BTW, stay away from the SS 8 speed auto, the paddle shift are slow and the transmission is flaky.

I have owned a 12' gt manual, 14' GT auto, 15' GT auto w/3.55, 16' 1SS A8, and 17' 2SS 6M:p, so know both very well although ive never driven the 18 GT..

Last edited:

tyler2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
i just left my 15 gtpp at a chevy dealer and ordered a 1le, got it for around 41k otd. tried to get the pp2 but none of the 9 dealer's i went to wanted to work on a price for me

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
i just left my 15 gtpp at a chevy dealer and ordered a 1le, got it for around 41k otd. tried to get the pp2 but none of the 9 dealer's i went to wanted to work on a price for me
Nice, congrats!:D

You can't go wrong with either but the 1LE is the better value if track performance is the priority. :amen:

tyler2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
i track and weekend drive my car, the gt only had 7k on it. honestly i like both, absolutely hated the gen5 camaro but the gen6 is a good looking car. but for the almost 7k difference in price it was no brainer

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I may be going to the dealer today to put a deposit down an a PPLv2, but I also just found a dealer by me with an 2018 SS 1LE for just $42k.

That no only gets rid of my wait, but also, is about 6K cheaper. I've always been a Ford guy(aside from current car) but am I nuts for considering the 1LE instead or just logical?

If you like the Camaro, get it. :headbang:

I didn't like it. I wouldn't care if its $6k cheaper and I use to be a Chevy guy. I just don't like the current Camaro. The visibility, the interior and the exterior all suck when you compare it to the Mustang IMO. YMMV.
I've had my car for a year and a half now and every time I get in it I say " Man this is a real Car "
I'm sure Camaro guys feel the same way but ....

But hey, It's you car payment. Buy what you want.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Logic dictates that there is a reason for the 1LE being so inexpensive. The car performs well, but you’d have to put a bag over its head before taking it for a ride each and every day.

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Logic dictates that there is a reason for the 1LE being so inexpensive. The car performs well, but you’d have to put a bag over its head before taking it for a ride each and every day.
Completely subjective. What isnt subjective the Cost Vs Performance. For track work the 1LE dominates the GT. Relatively equal straight line. For 6k cheaper? Its a no brainer.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
The SS 1LE is not faster than a GT350R. I really wish someone would do a comparison on the same day with the same driver.
On the Big Willow lap time they are tied. The GT350R is prob a little faster IMO. But the 1LE being that close is pretty impressive.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
On the Big Willow lap time they are tied. The GT350R is prob a little faster IMO. But the 1LE being that close is pretty impressive.
I’m surprised someone hasn’t done a comparison yet. At least SS 1LE vs Non-R GT350. They need to be driven by the same driver on the same day under similar conditions for the lap times to really mean anything.
Sponsored