Sponsored

Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
BMW greater resale...?

5bf.jpg

There's a reason why you can pick up a 2014 M5 for under $40K now. A car that stickered for over $100K
Where? If I can find that deal I'll take it. Just saw a chipped m5 roughing up procharged mustangs at the strip last night. Car was running 7.2 in the 1/8 with just a $650 tune on a crappy track. My mustang was running 8.15 with headers, e85 tune, intake
Sponsored

OP
OP

dB Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Vert 6M PP MagRide AE FPTune Vel./Mid.Blue
OP here. To say that I've been pushed back into the Mustang camp would be an understatement.

I wasn't trying to spark an argument, I wasn't trying to do anything at all. But what's weird is that I had forgotten why I had switched to a Mustang after a Beemer in the first place. Well, y'all have reminded me.

Thanks. Won't have to switch my Pony license plate!

Last edited:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Where? If I can find that deal I'll take it. Just saw a chipped m5 roughing up procharged mustangs at the strip last night. Car was running 7.2 in the 1/8 with just a $650 tune on a crappy track. My mustang was running 8.15 with headers, e85 tune, intake
Higher end BMW and Mercedes fit into kind of a weird class where they are not quite rare or unusual enough to maintain value as collectors items, and they are crazily expensive to maintain out of warranty. Add to that most of the original owners are either leasing or just want a new car every couple years. The worst depreciation is from cars like the 7 series or S class. A 2014 7 series can be had in the low 30's to low 40's without even looking very hard, while originally 80-100K+.

M5s are closer to $50K, but you might find one here and there for $40.

Selo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Shelby GT500
Higher end BMW and Mercedes fit into kind of a weird class where they are not quite rare or unusual enough to maintain value as collectors items, and they are crazily expensive to maintain out of warranty. Add to that most of the original owners are either leasing or just want a new car every couple years. The worst depreciation is from cars like the 7 series or S class. A 2014 7 series can be had in the low 30's to low 40's without even looking very hard, while originally 80-100K+.

M5s are closer to $50K, but you might find one here and there for $40.
No doubt about it. I own a 2013 740 LiX drive that was slightly over 100 msrp. B&W stereo, extended leather, nearly all options. Just turned 60k mi. Clean. I'd be lucky to get low 30s private sale. I bought it a yr old, though, and purchased an extended warranty, I think 8 yrs 100k mi. So I'm good for at least another couple years. The only way it makes any sense to buy these cars is to get an extended warranty and hold onto them a long time. If you turn over every few yrs, you're looking at 1200-1500/mo. Yikes.

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
I have leased 11 BMWs, everything except the SUVs and the 7 series. I currently have a 2014 M5 coming off lease in 3 months. The M240 convertible is my favorite BMW right now but they are priced high relative to other BMWs and will depreciate like crazy which is not relevant if you lease which you definitely should. Buying a BMW is insane. The lease residual on my M5 is $75k but it's worth $45k. My 2016 GT Premium vert compares favorably to my M5. I've been really impressed by the car. Of course the BMW has a prestige factor. If I had my choice of the mustang or the M240 it's a close call but I would take the mustang. FYI BMW is only paying for oil changes now.

Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
All I have to say is, my Mustang V8 5.0, GT, '17, is the FIRST sport/muscle car I've purchased. And, I've purchased quite a few cars. The next car I want to purchase will be as high end as possible Mustang.

Buy the car YOU want ;)

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If buying for the long term, go for the mustang.
If leasing for 3 yrs then certainly consider a BMW. They seem to do good auto diesels now and I'm quite tempted by the 650i. Certainly well made, but oh so common and a bit boring in an understated way. We have an x3 diesel for the family car and it's fantastic.

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
I agree with @Gurjit you won't get the v8 rumble. But I will admit if you put the right exhaust they can sound sick. I heard a 2018 m4 with a titanium exhaust and that was a beast. I will probably get one in 3-5 years. Depends on how much I love the 'stang. This will be my first V8 mustang. So we'll see.
[MENTION=31264]sbrenskell[/MENTION] I was under the impression that op only wanted to spend about 2-5k more than a stang that is why I made my original post. not 40k more for an M. ;P

my cousin has an m4 and m5 and had a 650i. The m4 has a BMW M exhaust and sounds really good, the m5 sounds o.k., but the 650i sounded more like a muscle car than my GT does.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
My family owned a BMW and they switched to Lexus because of the maintenance. As soon as the car hit 50k miles it was nonstop problems and cost. Seeing that helped me make the decision for V6 mustang since it's reliable and has cheap parts.

Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
I think you made a good choice coming back to Mustangs (wow, so surprising on a Mustang forum right?). I don't care too much for the BMW style you're looking at, BUT at the end of the day you have to get what YOU want, and what YOU like. If that's a Beemer then so be it. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone :)

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
FYI BMW is only paying for oil changes now.
This is true. They really pulled back on what they are covering now. I have a buddy who is a service manager at a BMW dealership and he was talking about it now that long ago. People are pissed because they don't pay attention.

Also, one of my best friends used to work at the same dealership, he texted me one day that I should buy a 2014 750li they had on their lot. I laughed because I would never do that, too expensive and their value drops like a rock. I asked him what the car was new, he told me they had sold that car almost exactly 1 year ago (this was in 2015) and the sales price was $124,000.

The had it on their lot for $64,000 with 11k miles on it. But with that said, most of the drop in value is the first year. It's actually a cheap car to buy once it drops that initial 50% and then sell it 2 years later. If you hold on to them they drop really hard once the warranty is up.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is true. They really pulled back on what they are covering now. I have a buddy who is a service manager at a BMW dealership and he was talking about it now that long ago. People are pissed because they don't pay attention.

Also, one of my best friends used to work at the same dealership, he texted me one day that I should buy a 2014 750li they had on their lot. I laughed because I would never do that, too expensive and their value drops like a rock. I asked him what the car was new, he told me they had sold that car almost exactly 1 year ago (this was in 2015) and the sales price was $124,000.

The had it on their lot for $64,000 with 11k miles on it. But with that said, most of the drop in value is the first year. It's actually a cheap car to buy once it drops that initial 50% and then sell it 2 years later. If you hold on to them they drop really hard once the warranty is up.
And you've just described why I'll probably never own a BMW. Residuals are awful and the maintenance is too once the warranty goes.
Sponsored