Sponsored

Active Exhaust Fail

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone ran into this issue. As i was driving i got a message on the screen between the gauges that told me exhaust mode change not available. It does not fix itself. It has been 2 days. I checked all the wiring on for the active exhaust and it looks perfectly fine.

It was on track mode but then reverted to Normal mode and it just stays there telling me i cant choose anything.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this without going to the dealer?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Try disconnecting the battery or checking whatever fuse the active exhaust system runs through?

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Try disconnecting the battery or checking whatever fuse the active exhaust system runs through?
I was planning on trying the battery method after work. But i completely forgot that fuses exist lol. It definitely has as separate one. I will have to check that.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
In the focus RS, the exhaust damper actuator would get stuck sometimes. Lots of guys including myself had issues with them. The majority of the issues were in very cold climates though. Try to mess with the damper yourself to see if it's stuck or bound up.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
In the focus RS, the exhaust damper actuator would get stuck sometimes. Lots of guys including myself had issues with them. The majority of the issues were in very cold climates though. Try to mess with the damper yourself to see if it's stuck or bound up.
That is interesting. I do not think it is that just for the fact that it went from fully close to half way open on it own as if it defaulted there. But i will definitely check that as well. Ill see if i can move it at all by hand.

Sponsored

BigBoss5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Premium
I had that issue come up as well. Checked the exhaust valve relay under the hood and it was fine. Took it to the dealer and they figured out it was an unrelated fuse in the passenger foot well that was loose.

Double check your fuses, all of them lol.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
I had that issue come up as well. Checked the exhaust valve relay under the hood and it was fine. Took it to the dealer and they figured out it was an unrelated fuse in the passenger foot well that was loose.

Double check your fuses, all of them lol.
That is interesting. Thankfully with my car it did end up being the the actual fuse for the exhaust valves. Nice and simple. For some reason the fuse blew. That is concerning as well but as long as it never happens again its all good.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
New update.

The fuse keeps blowing. I am hoping it is possibly a short in the wires somewhere because they got exposed and are touching a part of the frame. However, i am assuming the solenoid has probably gone bad.

After i replaced the first fuse, it took about an hour of driving before it blew. Once i replaced it again it took about 20 minutes to blow again. During the time it was working there was no issues at all and i was able to switch all i want.

Does anyone else have any idea what else may cause this?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
New update.

The fuse keeps blowing. I am hoping it is possibly a short in the wires somewhere because they got exposed and are touching a part of the frame. However, i am assuming the solenoid has probably gone bad.

After i replaced the first fuse, it took about an hour of driving before it blew. Once i replaced it again it took about 20 minutes to blow again. During the time it was working there was no issues at all and i was able to switch all i want.

Does anyone else have any idea what else may cause this?
I'd take it to the dealer and have them deal with it. Electrical issues are pretty hard to track down.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
I'd take it to the dealer and have them deal with it. Electrical issues are pretty hard to track down.
I understand that. I still would like to do whatever i can before bringing it to the dealer in case they somehow try and blame my long tube headers for the issue and deny the warranty.

Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Isolate the power source (pull the fuse) and the load (actuator). Check resistance to ground on all of the wires. Also check to see if any wires are shorted to each other. If you feel the actuator motor itself is shot, unplug it and see if the fuse continues to blow. That's a good way to see if it's wiring or component.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Isolate the power source (pull the fuse) and the load (actuator). Check resistance to ground on all of the wires. Also check to see if any wires are shorted to each other. If you feel the actuator motor itself is shot, unplug it and see if the fuse continues to blow. That's a good way to see if it's wiring or component.
I appreciate the advise. That was helpful.I took a look at the wiring and the amount of wrap around them is ridiculous. At a quick glance the wiring loom for the active exhaust seems to be alright. I replaced the fuse again after fiddling with the wires and it has been OK for 50 miles so far. Hopefully i moved something and its not going to blow. The actuator is most likely fine as it does keep working as it should when the fuse is intact. If it blows again i may just go to Ford.

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 SPD PREM MAGNETIC METALLIC
Got the same thing. Exhaust mode selection unavailable. it started every couple days about a month ago and now constantly. going to dealer tomorrow for that and new steering rack and pinion. it was binding up. I checked the fuse, I think it was #34 under hood, etc with no luck . I will let you know

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Got the same thing. Exhaust mode selection unavailable. it started every couple days about a month ago and now constantly. going to dealer tomorrow for that and new steering rack and pinion. it was binding up. I checked the fuse, I think it was #34 under hood, etc with no luck . I will let you know
That is weird.

Yes it is 34. I tried playing with the wires and i have replaced that fuse 3 times to see if i can find any consistency as to when it decides to stop working. I got nothing. It is completely different driving conditions, different amount of miles by a lot, and length of time is always different.

Let me know what Ford tells you.

Thanks.

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 SPD PREM MAGNETIC METALLIC
Ford had car all day last Friday. New steering rack/pinion is great, but exhaust still doing its thing. Said they cleared and recalibrated and that lasted about 10 minutes. Wanted me to leave it until "sometime next week". Nope, cold not drive that hybrid fusion that long. going back this Friday and we'll see what they come up with this time.
Sponsored