Shocks vs coilovers

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
Hey guys been asking around and haven't really gotten an answer, I'm looking to start upgrading my suspension after my axle shadts so it's honework time. I use my car as more of just a daily driver, but I do from time to time take it to the strip and do some canyon carving and would like to do some autoX. So my question is, should I just upgrade the shocks to some Vikings or should I get coilovers? Are coilovers only better for handling? Or can they be set up to handle both jobs? Ik the viking shocks are dual adjustable so can adjust to either set up im assuming? Any help would be great
Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
IMHO a set of quality coilovers will always be better then a set of quality matched shocks and springs. Just my .02

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Coilovers are made with springs engineered to compliment the shocks settings (unless they are double/triple adjustable, then you can change the settings based on your feeling).

Standard non adjustable shocks are designated at a certain rate while the springs you purchase are designated at a certain rates, these rates may not compliment each other as well as a coilover system, it is possible, but usually not the case.

If you are happy with the drop and spring rate of a certain lowering spring, there will be no sacrifice if you decide to upgrade your shocks and struts with triple adjustable after market shocks and struts

Its all preference

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Coilovers give you more adjustments/range. Which can be good or bad, as bad coilovers/adjustments can make your car handle worse.

If you don't care about lap times and aren't trying to make significant changes to your spring rates, you're probably better off with shocks and maybe lowering springs, especially if you are comparing them to cheap coilovers.

RidetechJosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 LX Mustang, 2003 Mach 1
IMHO a set of quality coilovers will always be better then a set of quality matched shocks and springs. Just my .02
+1.

If you get a setup, that is engineered to the car that you're building, you can have the best of both worlds. When putting a coilover package together, the spring rates need to compliment the valve code that is put in the shock. The corner weights of the car, style of suspension, and intended use for the car all play a big factor in how the car will need to be put together. We're actually releasing our coilover line for the '15, here shortly! We've had some extremely good results out of our cars that we're testing!

Sponsored

aFe POWER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.afepower.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0L
Shocks and springs are going to be a step better than stock, but for true cornering and adjustability experience. Coilovers are going to be your best bet, aslong as they are a quality set of coilovers designed for track and spirited everyday driving.

Here are several video links, of our in house 15 Mustang GT taking a lap at Laguna Seca. We were testing our new coilovers, sway bars, and stage 2 intake system we are releasing soon.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]OMYTpiNHz5U[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]o3pjHauebdI[/MEDIA]"]

Here is a picture of a CAD drawing of what our coilover, and front swaybar will look like ;)

OP
OP
Jeffy_2010

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Alright cool I really appreciate it! Are they gonna be dual adjustable? Also, what's different between Ur momentum gt cold air Intake and the stage 2? I sent an email to your customer support asking what the inly tube diameter and maf size was but never got anything back, just looking for the CAI with the most amount of air flow

aFe POWER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.afepower.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0L
Alright cool I really appreciate it! Are they gonna be dual adjustable? Also, what's different between Ur momentum gt cold air Intake and the stage 2? I sent an email to your customer support asking what the inly tube diameter and maf size was but never got anything back, just looking for the CAI with the most amount of air flow
Your welcome :)

They are going to be single adjustable, most of our customers wouldn't want to pay a really high premium coilover, for a vehicle that see's occasional track use. We felt why pay for something that you may not use to it's full advantage, so we felt that the single adjustable's would be perfect. You can adjust for both rebound and compression, but thru one simple easy to reach knob.

Now our Momentum GT intake kit is a sealed kit, giving those who want a OEM look and a quieter ride a option. It also has the box to protect the filter from hot engine bay temps. Doesn't make as much power as the stage 2, reason why is because the box limits the size filter we can use, but keeps temps down and consistent.

The stage 2 however has a bigger filter which means it can draw in more air for more power. Ours the filter will be in the fender well, reducing the chances of heat soaking. But we are further tweaking on both kits, as this car is very sensitive to the amount of air coming thru without a tune.

We are releasing both intake kits without a tune. As I get more info I will post it here on the forums, so keep an eye out for them, we also developing headers and exhaust for the 5.0's too :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jeffy_2010

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Your welcome :)

They are going to be single adjustable, most of our customers wouldn't want to pay a really high premium coilover, for a vehicle that see's occasional track use. We felt why pay for something that you may not use to it's full advantage, so we felt that the single adjustable's would be perfect. You can adjust for both rebound and compression, but thru one simple easy to reach knob.

Now our Momentum GT intake kit is a sealed kit, giving those who want a OEM look and a quieter ride a option. It also has the box to protect the filter from hot engine bay temps. Doesn't make as much power as the stage 2, reason why is because the box limits the size filter we can use, but keeps temps down and consistent.

The stage 2 however has a bigger filter which means it can draw in more air for more power. Ours the filter will be in the fender well, reducing the chances of heat soaking. But we are further tweaking on both kits, as this car is very sensitive to the amount of air coming thru without a tune.

We are releasing both intake kits without a tune. As I get more info I will post it here on the forums, so keep an eye out for them, we also developing headers and exhaust for the 5.0's too :thumbsup:
Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it! I already got the exhaust covered but will def be taking a look at the intakes, coilovers, and possibly your headers if they will work with the ford racing resonator delete

aFe POWER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.afepower.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0L
Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it! I already got the exhaust covered but will def be taking a look at the intakes, coilovers, and possibly your headers if they will work with the ford racing resonator delete
Your very welcome, if the Ford racing resonator delete kit works with the stock manifolds. Then it will certainly work with our headers as well, if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me :)
Sponsored