Sponsored

Hot Center Console

H PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/Performance
I purchased a 2017 Mustang GT Premium/Performance pack and noticed the center console gets very hot when the car is running without the AC. So hot that it is too hot to rest my arm on the center console after about 20 miles of driving. Any s550 mustang GT premium/performance pack owners with a similar problem? I took it to the dealer who said that they have not come across this issue and said that this is definitely not normal. After a month at the dealer, they could not find the cause. They said that they test drove another like car which also got hot so they are considering it normal now and will not investigate any further. Just trying to find out if this is considered normal or if there is a problem with my car.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's normal. The transmission and catalytic convectors are in that area.
I guess this is your first RWD vehicle?
The automatic tranmission gets to 200F and the cats are in the 1000F range. If you are in stop and go traffic a lot, it will get hot.
And just run the AC. If you can afford a Mustang, you can afford AC.

OP
OP

H PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback!! So is it possible to add additional insulation?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thanks for the feedback!! So is it possible to add additional insulation?
You can probably remove the center console and add some heat insulation to reduce the effect.

OP
OP

H PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its been years since owning a RWD (Mazda RX7) and don't remember the center console getting hot. Good to hear everything is normal though. I think I'll try adding some insulation.

Sponsored

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
Need to figure out a way to make a catalytic convector oven to cook burgers on the run.

OP
OP

H PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Need to figure out a way to make a catalytic convector oven to cook burgers on the run.
Right! All that heat and nothing to cook!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Its been years since owning a RWD (Mazda RX7) and don't remember the center console getting hot. Good to hear everything is normal though. I think I'll try adding some insulation.
My previous car was an RX-8 so this is pretty normal to me.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Now that would be "Fast food".

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
My 17 also has a very hot console. It's a lot worse than my 05 was but I had also added extra insulation to help when I installed my Hurst shifter. I also went to Ford to see if they had a fix. Their answer was no, their suggestion was the aftermarket. In other words fix it yourself. I really don't want to disturb the console to repair right now as the car's new without a squeak or rattle. I might try adding more heat shielding under the trans tunnel later.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Someone mentioned in another thread a resonator delete helps with this. But where I live I'm just used to everything being hot all the time.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Think I've finally found my hot console issue. I went under the car to measure for thermal barrier install, to cure the heat and found the shifter to trans tunnel boot was only seated halfway. It was letting hot air leak into the console area. I had to loosen the rear trans shifter bracket to get the rubber seal to engage properly and then re-tighten the bracket nuts. I've tested all day on my errands and found the console is fine now. Just a bit of heat on forward console low down near floorboard. Don't think I'll need the thermal barrier now, I'll have to wait for a really hot day.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
is this seal visible under the car without dropping tranny mount?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The console getting so got that it's hot on your arm isn't normal.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yes. I carefully used a wide blade screwdriver about 16" long to push the upper lip of the boot back over the tunnel. I pushed only on the outer 1/2" part of the lower boot so as not to puncture the flexing part of the boot.
This LMR video shows the boot I'm talking about. Because they removed the exhaust and trans mount, it's easy to see the boot installed to the tunnel. Note; 2:43 - 2:45 and 3:39 in the video for boot pictures.

Sponsored