Hoosiers on GT?

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
OK... I picked up a set of Apex 18"x10" ET43 (square setup).

I plan on running a 285/35R18 tire and I believe I need spacers up front. Are there any board sponsors that can recommend the proper size/fitment? I would prefer not to do a stud conversion immediately so will likely need longer lug bolts as well.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OK... I picked up a set of Apex 18"x10" ET43 (square setup).

I plan on running a 285/35R18 tire and I believe I need spacers up front. Are there any board sponsors that can recommend the proper size/fitment? I would prefer not to do a stud conversion immediately so will likely need longer lug bolts as well.
5 mm should be all you need. You won't need new studs.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Isn't a 285/35-18 mighty short? Like 1.5" + shorter than the stock tire?

Seems like I heard someone on the forums was running 295/40-18 Hoosiers with those wheels But they had to run like a 12mm spacer (& thus longer studs).

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yeah, it’s definitely short. 25.9” diameter, but aside from an even shorter final drive ratio with the PP diff, it should be ok.

With these wheels and stock suspension, Apex says you can run 275/40R18s without spacers, so I’m thinking I may only need 5mm.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A little.

Mine are 25.9" tall, which makes my 3.55's feel about like 3.73's with OE-diameter tires. And on a lap where I get a good run onto and down the main straight that gets my 5900 rpm upshift light flashing at me (6000 redline for a 4.6 3-valve) shortly before my braking zone. That's about 125 mph and close enough to the braking zone to where an upshift to the to-tall-to-be-very-useful 5th isn't currently worth the effort.

With 7000 or 7450 rpm to play with, or a gear midway between 1.00 and 0.68-ish, shorter tires would be more useful to higher speeds.

Norm

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You can always space out your fenders and add about 1/3" to 1/2" of tire to fender clearance if needed

Dave
Any details on how to accomplish this? I'm running the same wheel spec and 305 dhs had got some light fender rubbing on the inside of the outer fender with 15mm spacers. I believe most of it was due to the oem shocks, struts and sway bars trying to wrangle the car on slicks but want to make provisions just in case my konis and aftermarket bars don't eliminate it all.

I'm on bmr version a handling springs so lowered about 1.1 inches I think it is?

Thanks!

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Any details on how to accomplish this? I'm running the same wheel spec and 305 dhs had got some light fender rubbing on the inside of the outer fender with 15mm spacers. I believe most of it was due to the oem shocks, struts and sway bars trying to wrangle the car on slicks but want to make provisions just in case my konis and aftermarket bars don't eliminate it all.

I'm on bmr version a handling springs so lowered about 1.1 inches I think it is?

Thanks!
I would not go as far as I did if you have a light rub.

Pull the fender liner.
Find the fender support piece (see pics below).
unbolt support and cut mid length.
cut a piece of hardware store aluminum that should now fit in the channel of the back of the cut support.
drill and bolt the outboard side only.
put the support back in place and use a clamp to temporary hold the support to the inboard half as you check how much you can push fender out.
You might loosen the mounting crews, bolts etc holding bumper and fender to chassis to get a few mm.
You can get things very tight so be careful.
Keep in mind that over time, the plastic will "creep" and relax some stress, so after a summer, you may find you can get away with another 2-3 mm pushed out.
Be prepared to need to redrill holes in plastic fender liner, under tray etc to be able to get screws to hit original trim nuts.

Maybe get a heat gun for the paint and a fender roller to get a couple mm by rolling the lip as well.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36470&page=158

pic of fender support
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1506885&postcount=2366

attachment.jpg

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Here are the APEX 18"x10" ET43 square setup with 8mm spacers up front, running 285/35R18s.

That wheel/tire combo is about an inch in diameter less than stock, but since this will be 99% a track car I'm not terribly concerned. I have the Ford Racing Stage 3 engine bits, so a slightly increased redline will offset the higher final drive ratio with the shorter tires. I also have their race suspension setup which lowers the car I think 1.25" under stock?

28tyn0z.png
Sponsored