Easiest way to stop wheel hop?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Do the Steeda alignment bushings make it easier to line up the bolts and reduce the chance of cross threading when doing the CB005 kit? Once I install the kit and get a 4 wheel alignment, it is unlikely that I will ever lower the cradle again.
Sponsored

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Absolutely they do! Makes all the difference. Holds the bolt straight so it goes in correctly.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Do the Steeda alignment bushings make it easier to line up the bolts and reduce the chance of cross threading when doing the CB005 kit? Once I install the kit and get a 4 wheel alignment, it is unlikely that I will ever lower the cradle again.
They unquestionably reduce the chance of cross threading with a CB005. Whether they make it easier to line up the bolts probably depends on production tolerances of the cradle and body.

I'll go for no cross-threading every time even if my car's tolerances mean a little harder to line up the bolts.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. The alignment bushings sound like a good idea. Getting it lined up properly and getting the bolts started seems to be the only possible problems I have heard of with the CB005 installation.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
For those on the fence, here is a great article & testing by Billy Johnson - driver of the Ford GT at the 2016 & 2017 Le Mans ... also, the 2016 IMSA Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge GS Champion.

Billy is a true racer ...

Overall, we were very impressed with Steeda Autosports’s Ultimate “Stop the Hop” Package and Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System in eliminating wheel hop and greatly improving the drivetrain response and handling of our 2016 Mustang. We feel that the Mustang should have been like this from the factory since there is virtually no increase in NVH, but the car is substantially more responsive and precise than before. We highly recommend installing these components for any drag racer, road racer, or your average driving enthusiast for the daily driver due to the significant improvements with zero downsides.
To check out the complete article, you can read it here - http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4570/PageID/11919/TESTED-Steeda-Anti-Wheel-Hop-Package.aspx

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a perf pack GT with the 3.73 and the pzero tires it made some difference with a swap to Conti DWS. Given it has been fall/winter since I got the car that would make sense. Also put on the steeda subframe braces and that also made a noticeable difference (currently the hop is gone) but that was after the tires. This is sensible road acceleration only but the factory setup was terrible even in this scenario.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have installed the BMR cradle lock out kit and vertical links. Wouldn't you know? It has been snowing and crappy weather ever since so I really haven't been able to give it a good test to check on wheel hop. I do not notice any particular change in NVH though so I am pleased with that.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
The roads finally dried out and I was able to give the BMR cradle lockout kit and vertical links a better test. I am extremely pleased with the difference. Before, first gear was basically useless. Second wasn't much better. With the mods, the car hooks MUCH better. I didn't launch it exceptionally hard but I had no wheel hop and it feels really planted.

It obviously still breaks traction off the line and on the 1-2 shift but there is no drama or hop. In spite of having all-season Michelins on instead of my summer tires, traction is improved. I was hoping for just a reduction in wheel hop but the improved traction is a nice bonus. Excellent mods!

JeromeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, Premium, Performance, Kona, A10
Thank you for this report. Which bushing option did you get with the vertical links?

Jerome

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for this report. Which bushing option did you get with the vertical links?

Jerome
Delrin. While the rear end feels firmer, I do not notice any additional NVH. I was a bit concerned that spherical bushings might be too stiff.

Sponsored

JeromeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Delrin. While the rear end feels firmer, I do not notice any additional NVH. I was a bit concerned that spherical bushings might be too stiff.
This is good to hear. I have been leaning towards simply the urethane bushings thinking they would have the least NVH than the delrin ones. My main goal is to reduce wheel hop. I will be getting the cradle lockout kit too.

Jerome

svtsupremacy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Obviously these reduce wheel hop...does that mean you are less likely to snap half-shafts?
I was thinking about taking my 16GT manual with 3.31s to the track on the stock crappy pirelli 235s but im still worried about breaking half-shafts due to the horror stories

JeromeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously these reduce wheel hop...does that mean you are less likely to snap half-shafts?
I was thinking about taking my 16GT manual with 3.31s to the track on the stock crappy pirelli 235s but im still worried about breaking half-shafts due to the horror stories
Less likely but does not mean will not. Two forces contribute to breaking a half shaft, torque and shock and vibration.

The BMR cradle lockout kit and vertical links prevents nearly (not 100%) all chances of wheel hop.

Traction is need to present torque to the half shafts. Typically a 235 Pirelli tire will not provide much traction. So it is highly unlikely that you will break a half shafts with those tires.

Jerome

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
This is good to hear. I have been leaning towards simply the urethane bushings thinking they would have the least NVH than the delrin ones. My main goal is to reduce wheel hop. I will be getting the cradle lockout kit too.

Jerome
I don't think you will be disappointed. While there is no perceptible difference in NVH, the rear end is stiffer for sure. These cars don't exactly ride like Lincolns, anyway, so the additional firmness in the rear is not objectionable to me. If I was commuting to work on heavily pot-holed streets every day, I might find it a bit too firm but it isn't bad at all.

I am very pleased with the traction and elimination of wheel hop with the 235/50-18 Michelins that I am using this winter. I don't know what to expect when I put my 265/35-20 summer Pirelli P Zeros back on. I HOPE the results are just better traction without much, if any, hop. My first dragstrip event is in April so I will find out for sure.

Stang Racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 301A
The roads finally dried out and I was able to give the BMR cradle lockout kit and vertical links a better test. I am extremely pleased with the difference. Before, first gear was basically useless. Second wasn't much better. With the mods, the car hooks MUCH better. I didn't launch it exceptionally hard but I had no wheel hop and it feels really planted.

It obviously still breaks traction off the line and on the 1-2 shift but there is no drama or hop. In spite of having all-season Michelins on instead of my summer tires, traction is improved. I was hoping for just a reduction in wheel hop but the improved traction is a nice bonus. Excellent mods!
Same here the BMR combo did the JOB!:thumbsup:
Sponsored