Sponsored

Coyote engine oil for the track?

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
sorry it wasnt a tech at a mechanic shop. it was the amsoil representative that asked what i was gonna do with it. he basically said the the amsoil 5w-20 would hold up because of its aditive packages and that the coyote engine had very tight tolerances so he wouldnt recommend anything higher than maybe 5w-30 if i really wanted to put something else.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
i get everybodies theories and logic but 5w-50 just seems wayy to think for this engine.

I think most people tend to use 30 or 40 weight for these.

But FWIW, the Gen 2 Coyote uses mainly the same parts as the Roadrunner engine in the S197 Boss 302, including all bottom end and most valvetrain. That engine was spec'd to use 5w20 on the street and 5w50 when tracked.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Road Runner

As Norm has noted: Techs are not familiar with R/T cars and are "trained" to tow the line. I am in the unique position as a driver between clients in the medical field to sustain heavy pressure on my Gen2 Coyote w 3.55:1 gear and can run 80 mile twisty runs at 75 mph thru Texas Hill Country. I use my pony to make money this way and recently doubled my income and abuse on my pony. I use the Ford Racing filter and 5w 30 oil to no ill effect partly due to my warming the engine until the temps come up before leaving to my next client. I also use Lucas oil stabilizer.
IMG_20180303_121630_714.jpg

JimiClutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2016 California Special Mustang
Hey DickR, could you repost that oil temp gauge pic? Been searching for it for awhile now with no luck

There is a good chance I posted the oil temp info in 2015 but here it is.
[/url][/IMG]

The only temperature sensor I can find in the 2015 FSM for the 5.0 is the cylinder head temp sensor (CHT). I cannot find one on the Ford online parts site either. Therefore it appears that the gauges are "inferring" both oil temp and coolant temp from the CHT.

I "think" most reference to oil temps is based on sump temp sensor and generally are much lower than what the FSM says. I don't know how to explain why Ford says temps well above the typical oil temp "limits" are fine.

I certainly "hope" that relatively fresh major brand 5w-20 synthetic oil is sufficient for autocross in the 5.0. :-) but don't know. Given all the coatings and other modern technology used in the engine I'm not worried but don't actually "know". I certainly cannot tell from "how the car drives". The oil level barely moves, if at all, on the dipstick between changes.

My car has about 28K miles mostly driving to/from distant autocrosses since early 2015.

Sponsored