Sponsored

Installing APR Rear Wing?

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Has anyone mounted up a rear wing on a 2015+ Mustang that didn’t have any factory spoiler already there? (The track pack comes with a factory spoiler delete for some reason..)

I’m fine drilling into my trunk lid, but my guess is that there are factory marks somewhere that ape based their spacing/template off of. I would rather drill one set of holes and not claim “weight reduction” if I fuck it up...
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Has anyone mounted up a rear wing on a 2015+ Mustang that didn’t have any factory spoiler already there?
Yeah. CDC Outlaw on my 2016 GTPP. It would have used the factory holes if the car came with a spoiler.

I only had to make one set of holes but did have to enlarge them some to get perfect positioning side to side and front to back. The double sided tape will make sure it can't shift what ever the holes would allow if the bolts were loose. I did get some 3/4" washers since the ones that came with my spoiler weren't much bigger than what one dimension of the oblong holes ended up being.

However they tell you to mark where to drill, double check it as many ways as you can because one of my holes needed enlarging to line up with the spoiler threads in addition for fine adjustment. So after you have the places marked on the trunk, measure the distance between them and compare to the distance on the spoiler and also measure from the marks to various parts on the trunk edge to make sure its the same on both ends. All just to double check nothing got marked off a little. Even with all that you might still have to widen the holes if the threads (or studs) on the spoiler aren't perfectly centered right to left and you are OCD about it.

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yeah. CDC Outlaw on my 2016 GTPP. It would have used the factory holes if the car came with a spoiler.

I only had to make one set of holes but did have to enlarge them some to get perfect positioning side to side and front to back. The double sided tape will make sure it can't shift what ever the holes would allow if the bolts were loose. I did get some 3/4" washers since the ones that came with my spoiler weren't much bigger than what one dimension of the oblong holes ended up being.

However they tell you to mark where to drill, double check it as many ways as you can because one of my holes needed enlarging to line up with the spoiler threads in addition for fine adjustment. So after you have the places marked on the trunk, measure the distance between them and compare to the distance on the spoiler and also measure from the marks to various parts on the trunk edge to make sure its the same on both ends. All just to double check nothing got marked off a little. Even with all that you might still have to widen the holes if the threads (or studs) on the spoiler aren't perfectly centered right to left and you are OCD about it.
Thanks.

Are you possibly able to take some pics of the bottom of the trunk with the trunk open so I can see? There was no template sent. I’ve got an email in to APR as well.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks.

Are you possibly able to take some pics of the bottom of the trunk with the trunk open so I can see? There was no template sent. I’ve got an email in to APR as well.
Not sure a picture of the underside of the trunk would help. The trunk lid is two sheets of metal with a sizable air gap between them. The inside sheet-metal has a 1" wide hole to access the spoiler bolt that goes thru the top sheet that you are going to drill. I suppose the drilled hole would be directly above the access hole but you wouldn't get any useful information from the picture.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not sure a picture of the underside of the trunk would help. The trunk lid is two sheets of metal with a sizable air gap between them. The inside sheet-metal has a 1" wide hole to access the spoiler bolt that goes thru the top sheet that you are going to drill. I suppose the drilled hole would be directly above the access hole but you wouldn't get any useful information from the picture.
Yeah, I found those rubber plugs and the two layers. So does it mount with just one hole drilled through that top sheet?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, I found those rubber plugs and the two layers. So does it mount with just one hole drilled through that top sheet?
One per side on mine and I suspect any that are made to use the factory spoiler holes. I think factory spoiler cars also have other holes in the trunk for alignment pins in the factory spoiler.

And if your spoiler didn't come with instructions, make sure the trunk is farther from your tail lights than the length of your drill bit ;) My instructions said to use a block of wood but I just wedged a small express mail box in there.
Sponsored