Sponsored

novice needs opinions on tires for track(GT350)

Gstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Gray
I did try searching and am still confused.

I'm a novice with 3 prior HPDE events in my M4. GT350 now.

I'am getting the P51 size 11, 11.5 wheels, direct bolt on. I don't want to deal with spacers. Probably will use them 90% of time for track only.

Tire options are limited in staggered 305/325.
Should I just go square with 305 all around. I don't care about being able to rotate tires, square just gives me more choices in tires(thinking RE71r or RE-11). No suspension mods. My concerns with square are 1. handling characteristics on a track for a novice , 2. Will it look odd. 3. Am I missing something.

Thanks
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'd do 305 square Hankook R-S4 tires or run the R spec Cup 2s if you want more speed. RE-71Rs work too, but they get greasy quickly because they're autocross focused tires. RE-11 are a decent option too, though I'm not a big fan of them.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would go 305 square. The stock GT350 still has just a bit of understeer on the track, and a square setup gets that closer to neutral. As far as tires go, if you can find RE-11s they are a great choice for a quick, durable tire, but they are out of production now and will be scarce (shame). RE71R are extremely grippy but they'll get hot and lose grip quicker, because as mentioned they're autocross-focused. I'd agree with DocWalt on R-S4 or PSC2's. NT01 wouldn't be bad either.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I personally think a square setup looks good and proper, the staggered setup looks goofy.

On the track the square setup helps reduce understeer on corner entry. Most people would consider that desirable. On the road, the car will sometimes want to follow road imperfections, "tram-lining". Some people consider this somewhat spooky. If you expect it and understand it, it's a non-issue.

That's a lot of car for a novice, it will probably be awhile before you start to find the limits.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Highly recommend the RS4s. I run them on the street and the track and they have great wear, grip, and consistency at the limit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gstone

Gstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Gray
Great, direct opinions here.

Thank you

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Nitto NT01 is in my opinion the best bang for the buck track tire you can buy because they will wear like iron and do not tend to heat-cycle out like other track tires. It is an entry level R-Comp tire and you may not want to start out on an R-Comp tire until you get some more time with the car under your belt. I am a fairly aggressive driver on track with my current setup and I can get 40 to 45 sessions before they get to the cord, grip levels are very consistent to the cord on the tire.

These cars are heavy and they require a proper track alignment to keep track focused tires alive and happy, most of your good or bad tire wear will be down to the alignment so factor that into your decision. The further you go from your street tire in grip level the further your alignment will be from ideal for a street tire.

Enjoy the car, the GT and GT350 a very fun track cars.

Dave

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I might have to check out the NT01 based on the feedback here...

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
If you're a real novice novice then 305/325 is going to be safer because it will understeer a bit and understeer is way easier to deal with than oversteer. Unless you banzai into a corner at 30 MPH over what you should be doing in which case you're screwed either way.

Can you deal with a loose oversteering car at 100 mph? If the answer is no then take the safer option, go staggered and gradually work your way forward. I hear people going on about understeering cars, its up to the driver to find and drive to the limit of the car and tires. I see people pounding into corners way too hard all the time and the car pushes like a dog as a result and they blame the car when the driver is the problem.

Work up to the limit of adhesion slowly and you won't be needing to call your track insurance agent to file a claim. But put yourself into a loose car without the skill to deal with it and you'll get to know the agent quickly.

People should be more careful about telling novices to jump into an advanced driver's setup, that's just setting someone up for an expensive lesson.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
FWIW with the stock R spec 305/315 setup on my GT350 it's not what I would call oversteery even with a more aggressive alignment. 305 square will shift the balance to neutral, I think.

Good point!
Sponsored