Sponsored

First Track day with the Mustang coming up .

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Mods by then will be Steeda sport springs , Steeda pro action adjustable , BMR lockout kit and Steeda subframe alignment kit .

I have 11mm on the stock pads

Intend to do Diff fluid (85w140) , brake flush (Motul 600)

Stock Pirellis with 3000-ish miles on them.

I will probably get a JLT catch can and ZL1 tow hook before then too.

Sound good ?

This will be my 5th track day all other before in a BMW e36
Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I would say you are all set. I found that the pirellis aren't bad on track once they are warmed up.

Have fun and enjoy!

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I run the Pirelis only a few months of the year (DWS other times) . Once I burn them up I am going 18x10 Apex squared. 275/40/18

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I run the Pirelis only a few months of the year (DWS other times) . Once I burn them up I am going 18x10 Apex squared. 275/40/18
Nice, what tire you going with?

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Nice, what tire you going with?
Firehawk Indy maybe ? Seems to be a good economical choice , and $70-80 per tire cheaper then the next viable option ( RE-11s)

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Firehawk Indy maybe ? Seems to be a good economical choice , and $70-80 per tire cheaper then the next viable option ( RE-11s)
I've heard good things about the Firehawk although I haven't ran them myself. I ran PS4S in 285 squared and then 295 squared when I started out and those worked great, although on my second set I started wearing the outer shoulders quite considerable even with decent camber out front -2.5.

Moved on to 305 RS4s squared and couldn't be happier. It seems like you have some experience so you may progress quicker than most... I would recommend a more track focused tire like the RE-11 or RS4 (if available in your size) especially if you plan to only run those on track as well as a good set of camber plates.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I've heard good things about the Firehawk although I haven't ran them myself. I ran PS4S in 285 squared and then 295 squared when I started out and those worked great, although on my second set I started wearing the outer shoulders quite considerable even with decent camber out front -2.5.

Moved on to 305 RS4s squared and couldn't be happier. It seems like you have some experience so you may progress quicker than most... I would recommend a more track focused tire like the RE-11 or RS4 (if available in your size) especially if you plan to only run those on track as well as a good set of camber plates.
Yup I forgot to add when I do my suspension I am adding Steeda camber plates and rear shock mounts . May aw well do it all while you are there I figured.

AZFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 401a GT/PP
I'm on Steeda Sport linears and have the Indy 500 in 275/40/19 on the rear of my car with stock pirellis up front. They are predictable and don't snap when at the limit. I could use a little more grip coming out of the tight corners but I think swaybars would help more than a grippier tire.

Albert, why the switch from MPS4S? I'll never catch you at the track if you keep upgrading!

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Albert, why the switch from MPS4S? I'll never catch you at the track if you keep upgrading!
Haha, I got to the point where I started out driving the PS4S. No matter what I did with tire pressures, body roll, camber... the outer shoulder started deteriorating a lot faster than I was comfortable with. It was time to move up.

The RS4s have tremendous grip compared to the PS4S, are consistent throughout each session, and the outboard shoulders are reinforced. Loving these tires!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'm going to find myself a way into a set of RS4s as soon as possible for track tires. They just sound like the best option for a grippy tire that will last ok in our heavy cars.

The stock summer Pirellis are ok at the track. They wear badly and fast, but they hold a decent G if you do your part. I'd never buy them intentionally, but perfectly happy to wear out the stock tires.
Sponsored