Sponsored

Base GT 4-Pot Caliper upgrade

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
A while back ago, I stumbled across a company that offered an upgrade kit for the 4-pot calipers that included stainless steel piston cups and high temp dust boots and seals.
Now I'm in need of this kit as the dust boots are currently dust themselves, and I can't find this company again. Google searches only seem to lead to Big Brake Kits.
Has anyone seen this kit? Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I think I need this too. I just roasted my front brakes this morning at Road America. After a few laps, the pedal went all the way to the floor. Not good.

OP
OP
Grafanton

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Bump

yiweno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
The stock 4 piston setup is unfit for track duty. They have a reversed rotor setup and therefore have no way of cooling them. It doesn't matter what pads you put on them, they will overheat after a few laps.

The best upgrade is to just get the factory 6 piston brembo upgrade from the performance pack.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
The stock 4 piston setup is unfit for track duty. They have a reversed rotor setup and therefore have no way of cooling them. It doesn't matter what pads you put on them, they will overheat after a few laps.

The best upgrade is to just get the factory 6 piston brembo upgrade from the performance pack.
With track pads and good fluid you can use the 4 piston brakes for 20 minute HPDE sessions as long as you don't try to threshold brake every corner while trying to set personal best lap times EVERY lap. Now if you are going to Time Trial your car then yes upgrade to at least the 6 piston setup so you can really push the brakes to the limit but to say the 4 piston is unfit for track use is untrue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grafanton

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I've been tracking this car for the last three years and haven't any issues with this brake setup. I have also been consistently fast, not the fastest, but typically give theoretically faster cars headaches. They have been abused over 3 years and therefore need a little help.

This is also my daily driver, to which I mount 18' wheels with winter tires November through March. Switching to the 6-pot Brembos is not a viable option at this time. If I hit the lottery, I will invest in larger wheels and tires.

I also think that a little too much is made of brake fade on this forum. I was instructing a novice student with a Focus RS that mentioned brake fade after 2 laps. At the granny speeds he was doing at the time, the brakes weren't even warm.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I really like Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. For brake pads I like Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear. However I did use the Powerstop Track Day pads front and rear this last event, which are a third of the price of the Carbotechs, and they did a pretty good job on a very brake intensive track (Eagle's Canyon).
This is a video from that event. I am using with Firestone Indy 500 tires with the Powerstop Track Day pads.
[ame]

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
with the setup u mentioned do u notice any fade or anything? also u havr thr 14 inch base gt brake set up.correct?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With track pads and good fluid you can use the 4 piston brakes for 20 minute HPDE sessions as long as you don't try to threshold brake every corner while trying to set personal best lap times EVERY lap. Now if you are going to Time Trial your car then yes upgrade to at least the 6 piston setup so you can really push the brakes to the limit but to say the 4 piston is unfit for track use is untrue.
You're still saying that the base 4-piston setup is not fit for unrestricted duty even at the HPDE level . . .

Norm

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
so woulf u call the s550 a serious track weapon or a weekend track car?
Depends on what flavor of s550 and what has been done to it. My car is a daily driver that can do occasional track days with minimal prep. I think my choice of tires (Firestone Indy 500) shows that it isn't a serious track weapon.

with the setup u mentioned do u notice any fade or anything? also u havr thr 14 inch base gt brake set up.correct?
At this event, with this setup no fade. I made sure the Powerstop pads were bedded in correctly and I tried to stay out of ABS by braking smoothly. Yes we are discussing the 14" base GT brakes, which is what I have.

You're still saying that the base 4-piston setup is not fit for unrestricted duty even at the HPDE level . . .
Norm
If you don't use restraint any Mustang short of GT350 will fail on track, if not by brakes, by over heating something else.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you don't use restraint any Mustang short of GT350 will fail on track, if not by brakes, by over heating something else.
True.

But I can't see any legitimate justification for choosing pads that are known to set the lowest limit on your driving.

Norm

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with this. When I bought my EB PP in February, I put it up on my lift and noticed the goofy rotor design. I pointed it out to my son and noted that this might not bode well for track duty. Sure enough, last weekend at Road America, the car couldn't survive 8 laps. Fluid was weeping from the bolts that hold the caliper halves together. As some have noted on this thread, if you "take it easy" the brakes my hold up. But for me, I go to the track to push the car close to the limit (and I've been doing this for over 20 years). If the car can't take take this, it needs to be modified. If there are no modifications that can solve this, it will be replaced with something that can (like my '86 944 Turbo!).

As suggested above, yesterday I installed the 6 piston Brembos. Easy swap. This, with some good pads and Motul 600 or 660, should provide a better track day experience. We'll see :thumbsup: