New to the Track, How does a stock Mustang GT hold up

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Hopefully the aftermarket will step up and provide rotors with the proper back-side air inlets in non-PP dimensions.

Norm
I'm not overly troubled by this. I think a good set of pads and fluid, and car will perform just fine
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When you start needing brake cooling ducts, how are you going to route them?

When you start cracking entry-level track pads is probably a good indication that it's time for those ducts.

picture.jpg

Norm

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Another questions you guys might be able to answer is, a used c7 z51 Corvette is another option for me. I know stock for stock the two are naturally different cars on a track, but from your guys opinion how much better is the corvette on the track and would someone new to performance driving like my self even really notice within the first few years (I don't expect to be going every weekend, just like 3 times or so the first year then scaling up from there).

Also what kind of potential do I have with the mustang interms of improving handling with aftermarket parts.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Your going to get a lot of opinions this question. I, for one would not recommend it for a first time track car.
Certainly the Corvette has a lot of potential and is a worthy adversary to nearly any car on track. I have caught and passed many theoretically faster cars in my humble Ecoboost S550, except for Corvettes. That said, I've also only seen 3 wrecks at my home track of Waterford Hills, and 2 of them were Corvettes. They can be very tricky to tame.
I think I could recommend just about any other car as a first time track car over a Corvette.
Bang for the buck the Corvette is very hard to beat, but...

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
I think I could recommend just about any other car as a first time track car over a Corvette.
Bang for the buck the Corvette is very hard to beat, but...
Ya I figured this is a somewhat subjective question.

Would you then say the mustang would be significantly better for a beginner?

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Ya I figured this is a somewhat subjective question.

Would you then say the mustang would be significantly better for a beginner?
For a first timer, I would also agree that a corvette may not be the best choice. Typically lower horsepower RWD cars are ideal since they allow you to focus more on the driving aspects that matter most... racing line, braking techniques, weight transfer management, heel/toe etc... I would recommend a Miata or Honda S2000.

I didn't take my own advice when I started out as I took my mustang and I have had quite a few pucker moments along the way. It is not entirely unfeasible, but... there has to be respect with any higher horsepower RWD car. As long as you start out with proper throttle management and give the car smooth inputs you will be OK. Remaining humble and listening to your instructor is key.

If you do take the mustang, I wouldn't recommend ANY power modifications. The car has plenty of power in stock form to pass most cars in the corner with an experienced driver.

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
For a first timer, I would also agree that a corvette may not be the best choice. Typically lower horsepower RWD cars are ideal since they allow you to focus more on the driving aspects that matter most... racing line, braking techniques, weight transfer management, heel/toe etc... I would recommend a Miata or Honda S2000.

I didn't take my own advice when I started out as I took my mustang and I have had quite a few pucker moments along the way. It is not entirely unfeasible, but... there has to be respect with any higher horsepower RWD car. As long as you start out with proper throttle management and give the car smooth inputs you will be OK. Remaining humble and listening to your instructor is key.

If you do take the mustang, I wouldn't recommend ANY power modifications. The car has plenty of power in stock form to pass most cars in the corner with an experienced driver.
Thanks! Yeah I've considered getting a smaller car like that, but after driving them (Lotus Elise and Miata) and the mustang and the corvette, even just as a daily i just really loved the power and sound of the v8s.

I plan on taking it really slowly and understand that i am a complete novice who essentially knows nothing when it comes to performance driving. Also yup, I have no power modifications planned for a long time. First thing ill touch is the damn audio cause its pretty bad, and then looking an cooling and handling improvements as I get better.

Last edited:

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I went to the track for the first time because soon after I bought my 2015 Mustang I quickly figured out that to fully explore its limits on the street was potentially suicidal if not homicidal.
If I had put thought into developing a full-fledged track career, I probably would have started with something else; something cheaper, something lighter and something with a little less power. That said, I have found the S550 to be a fairly benign partner. It has few handling quirks that will catch out a newbie and it is competitive right off the bat. As I've said, I've caught and passed many theoretically faster cars on track.

Choices, choices...

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
Choices, choices...
I KNOW THEY'RE SO HARD!

But really, ya I know if i'm gonna track full time, I need to look somewhere else. And maybe down the line i will and just purchase a track only toy.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
It can be truly sphincter clenching to take your brand new car to the track. Having a dedicated car that you can thrash with only minor consequences is really the way to go.

My nephew picked up a E46 330i for his track car for only $3,000. Parts are cheaper and he's only out a small investment if it all goes horribly wrong. You can be surprisingly quick with a Honda Civic or Ford Focus for even less money and there are a few that highly recommend a front wheel drive car as a first track car as the predominate understeer is easier to deal with for a novice.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I plan on taking it really slowly and understand that i am a complete novice who essentially knows nothing when it comes to performance driving. Also yup, I have not power modifications planned for a long time.
I'll even include exhaust system mods under "power mods".

Not because I think they might add a lot of power (they won't), but for the distinct possibility that you might get carried away with the sound and end up entering a corner too hot or too far off the line for what your experience can support.

Norm

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Be cautious with exhaust mods. Many tracks have sound limits. Nothing worse than having to coast down the back stretch.

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
I'll even include exhaust system mods under "power mods".

Not because I think they might add a lot of power (they won't), but for the distinct possibility that you might get carried away with the sound and end up entering a corner too hot or too far off the line for what your experience can support.

Norm
I didn't even know that was common problem people had lol. Well its a good thing i really love the new mustangs sound stock.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Get some track experience before buying anything like a C7 Z51 Corvette for your track time. That's a very capable car better suited to intermediate and advanced level drivers than brand-new novices who may not even have any autocross experience.

Norm

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Get some track experience before buying anything like a C7 Z51 Corvette for your track time. That's a very capable car better suited to intermediate and advanced level drivers than brand-new novices who may not even have any autocross experience.

Norm
A less powered car will be easier to learn on. With high-powered cars, even the newer ones with really good traction and stability management, they can be overwhelming (mainly if you are new to performance driving). With a less powered car, you can concentrate on what you are doing as a driver (your line, brake zones, brake management, steering inputs, looking ahead...).

You're in Michigan, and I can say this with the tracks here: Waterford is a good value. It has some areas that you really need to be mindful of, because you can get into some real trouble, but if you are mindful of them, the track is a great one to learn on; Waterford is lower speed track, but it has some really good technical learning points that you can grow with in competence and translate to other tracks. Gingerman, in my opinion, is the safest track to learn on in Michigan, but it will cost more than Waterford. Gingerman is more high-speed, but it is a lot less technical and there is really good runoff [for most of the track]. Waterford, also, has a lot of track days to attend.

If you asked me, with ANY car, assuming a good bill of health already, if I could do one (1) modification to prepare for a track day, it would be a good DOT 4 brake fluid flush.
1. Safety for you.
2. Safety for others.
3. More fun for you.
Sponsored