Sponsored

Launching Paxton Car on 2step

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I believe I am ready to make a full big boy pass in the car next weekend.

Just wanted to run my plan by you guys and see what you think.

Car makes 850 on a Paxton at 7500 RPM.

I have BMR lockouts, vert links, drag springs - (stock PP shocks until next round of mods is done)

I plan to run my 28 x 11.5 - 17 ET Street R Bias Ply at 11psi or so cold.

Yes, I have a twin disc (ET04XD), driveshaft, and axles. I do have 3.15 gears.

I plan to put it on the two step @ 4500 around the 1st/2nd yellow and let her rip.

My question is has anyone ran a two step on a centri car and done a similar launch? I know the car builds ~4psi of boost @ the 4500rpm setting. Not sure how the car is going to react. I am hoping the 3.15 gears help mitigate wheel spin but just curious on others' thoughts.

I have done a test hit (didn't want to break stock DS) just leaving the line like at a stop light and rolling into it a little past the tree just to get a datalog of the top end fueling. It went 11.1 @ 135 with a bit of short shifting and a 2.1 60 (I don't think I've ever run a 2.1 60 until then, lol).

I'd be happy with a 1.7 60 this time out but the goal is 1.5.
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Don't leave it on the 2step for over 3 seconds or take a chance on the cel light coming on for a misfire code and can mess the the rest of the run up.

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Don't leave it on the 2step for over 3 seconds or take a chance on the cel light coming on for a misfire code and can mess the the rest of the run up.

Right on, I planned to have the car revved to 4k or so part throttle and put it on the two step as the lights are coming down, around the 1st yellow.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
My buddy Ken had Lund send him a tune with misfired turned off just for the track.Other then I would say start out at 4k and work your way up.I never had luck hooking with my pp car with the 2ztep set that high,even with the 3.31 gears,but if the track.is prepped good maybe.Also slipping the clutch a little instead of just dumping it.

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
My buddy Ken had Lund send him a tune with misfired turned off just for the track.Other then I would say start out at 4k and work your way up.I never had luck hooking with my pp car with the 2ztep set that high,even with the 3.31 gears,but if the track.is prepped good maybe.Also slipping the clutch a little instead of just dumping it.

I was hoping the 3.15's would give me a little advantage however they may even hurt. I guess I will see.

I've been working on getting this clutch to slip repeatedly. It's just so grippy and has a teeny tiny window to work with at the top of the pedal.
I see lots of practice runs in my future. Guess I'll stop skipping leg day.

Sponsored

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I believe I am ready to make a full big boy pass in the car next weekend.

Just wanted to run my plan by you guys and see what you think.

Car makes 850 on a Paxton at 7500 RPM.

I have BMR lockouts, vert links, drag springs - (stock PP shocks until next round of mods is done)

I plan to run my 28 x 11.5 - 17 ET Street R Bias Ply at 11psi or so cold.

Yes, I have a twin disc (ET04XD), driveshaft, and axles. I do have 3.15 gears.

I plan to put it on the two step @ 4500 around the 1st/2nd yellow and let her rip.

My question is has anyone ran a two step on a centri car and done a similar launch? I know the car builds ~4psi of boost @ the 4500rpm setting. Not sure how the car is going to react. I am hoping the 3.15 gears help mitigate wheel spin but just curious on others' thoughts.

I have done a test hit (didn't want to break stock DS) just leaving the line like at a stop light and rolling into it a little past the tree just to get a datalog of the top end fueling. It went 11.1 @ 135 with a bit of short shifting and a 2.1 60 (I don't think I've ever run a 2.1 60 until then, lol).

I'd be happy with a 1.7 60 this time out but the goal is 1.5.
I just bought the same tires and have the same clutch. This clutch hits hard on shifts and It may be too aggressive, I will let you know. The tires I have heard like 18psi or so with our heavy cars??

I plan on coming out at 3000 for a start with no two step.....

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I just bought the same tires and have the same clutch. This clutch hits hard on shifts and It may be too aggressive, I will let you know. The tires I have heard like 18psi or so with our heavy cars??

I plan on coming out at 3000 for a start with no two step.....
I love the aggressiveness of this clutch, lol. Just need to find a tire setting that agrees.

@18 psi I spin these tires on a 60 roll.

I’m guessing they will want <15

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT
Here was my launch a few months ago at 5k with Paxton and 2 Step. Wasn't high enough. lol. This was on 93 and about 650hp on a 28x10x17 Hoosier. Need to go back and try it now that i'm on E85.

Didn't feel like posting on Youtube but here is my IG video.

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Here was my launch a few months ago at 5k with Paxton and 2 Step. Wasn't high enough. lol. This was on 93 and about 650hp on a 28x10x17 Hoosier. Need to go back and try it now that i'm on E85.

Looks like it didn’t pull it down bad at all, also looks like you may have spun a bit?

There is a big difference between 4500-5000 on my car. It really hits at 5. I generally roll race starting between 5/5500 and can barely maintain traction. I’m not sure it would go over well from a dig just yet.

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT
Yea it spun a bit. If I remember correctly I lowered tire pressure next run then bogged bad. Set 2step at 5500 and then spun and missed gear. lol. Was going to try lowering tire pressure again but ran out of time. Just need to find sweet spot.

Here is the run from the outside. You can see it spinning a bit. 1.667 60'.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVs5_vxjwh1/?taken-by=carlosa_garcia

Sponsored

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Nice video!:thumbsup:

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Why is the two step better than the factory launch control?

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Why is the two step better than the factory launch control?
It removes the ECU from the equation. You can turn all the nannies off and set the RPM to pretty much anything you want, unlike the limited options of the factory launch control.

This is primarily for cars running a super sticky tire that need an aggressive launch.

Launch control works great for street tires/ typical drag radial.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I was planning on launching at 4500 with bias plys.

It removes the ECU from the equation. You can turn all the nannies off and set the RPM to pretty much anything you want, unlike the limited options of the factory launch control.

This is primarily for cars running a super sticky tire that need an aggressive launch.

Launch control works great for street tires/ typical drag radial.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was planning on launching at 4500 with bias plys.
Let me know results!:)

Prob going for shakedown runs hopefully Thursday.... planning on just easing clutch out at 3500 for starters...
Sponsored