Sponsored

How to keep a10 from shifting

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
What's the best way/mode to keep the a10 (18gt) in from a roll? If I'm in drag/sports+ and keeping a certain MPH, go full throttle will it stay in manual mode if I don't shift or will it automatically shift for me?
Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I can't comment on the drag and sport+ modes as I have a base model. With mine leaving it in D it will always shift for you. In S once you use the paddle shifters it will stay in manual mode till you shift back to D or hold the + paddle for more then a second. If I were roll racing I would shift into S and pick the gear manually to race from (2nd or 3rd most likely), then just shift it manually with the paddles. You could do the same thing in D and it will shift for you but if you don't race right away it may decide to upshift early and may not shift as aggressively.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Shifter in S using the paddles it will not override you. It will bounce off the rev limiter until you upshift.

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I can't comment on the drag and sport+ modes as I have a base model. With mine leaving it in D it will always shift for you. In S once you use the paddle shifters it will stay in manual mode till you shift back to D or hold the + paddle for more then a second. If I were roll racing I would shift into S and pick the gear manually to race from (2nd or 3rd most likely), then just shift it manually with the paddles. You could do the same thing in D and it will shift for you but if you don't race right away it may decide to upshift early and may not shift as aggressively.
That's the issue- It kept upshifting too soon. There has to be a better method for roll racing.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the issue- It kept upshifting too soon. There has to be a better method for roll racing.
With Lunds tune the car shifts at redline in regular drive mode if you stay full throttle.

Sponsored

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
With Lunds tune the car shifts at redline in regular drive mode if you stay full throttle.
That’s good to know. I’m really just looking for a way to have it hold at a certain speed and not upshift so quickly.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That’s good to know. I’m really just looking for a way to have it hold at a certain speed and not upshift so quickly.
Without tuning to adjust the shift tables (or using manual mode and paddle shifters) there's not much you can since all this stuff is hard coded in the tune parameters.

Just press harder on the pedal if you want to hold onto a gear longer, the higher the throttle is open the higher in the RPM the tune shifts.

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Without tuning to adjust the shift tables (or using manual mode and paddle shifters) there's not much you can since all this stuff is hard coded in the tune parameters.

Just press harder on the pedal if you want to hold onto a gear longer, the higher the throttle is open the higher in the RPM the tune shifts.
So a Lund tune can change this?

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, Lund tuned mine and the shifts are more aggressive even in regular drive.

Deleted member 33561

If you do not want the A10 to shift for you from a stop/roll then here is the way to do it.
You must be in the "Drive" position. Whether you are at a stop or moving, you then drop the shifter into "S" position and only then you have to tap one of the paddles (usually the "down" paddle). That will put you in the mode where the A10 will not shift automatically except when slowing down to the point that the engine would "bog" down without dropping to a lower gear.
Racing on public streets is not recommended !

Sponsored

jlwilson10609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
To roll race with the A10 I selected S and put my mode to “Drag” not needed for this method, paddle shifted down to my desired gear for ideal launch RPM, when I went WOT I pushed the shifter into D and 40-140 went by in a flash. DO NOT F**king paddle shift a race unless you want to lose.

Good luck and have fun (legally when possible)

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
To roll race with the A10 I selected S and put my mode to “Drag” not needed for this method, paddle shifted down to my desired gear for ideal launch RPM, when I went WOT I pushed the shifter into D and 40-140 went by in a flash. DO NOT F**king paddle shift a race unless you want to lose.

Good luck and have fun (legally when possible)
So how would this be different than putting the car in drag mode and using the paddle shift to get to desired gear in normal drive?

Not very keen on moving from S+ to D while going WOT and seems it basically just does what I mentioned above.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
So how would this be different than putting the car in drag mode and using the paddle shift to get to desired gear in normal drive?

Not very keen on moving from S+ to D while going WOT and seems it basically just does what I mentioned above.
Because you can hold the selected gear via paddle shifter as long as you want with the shifter in S. If you use the paddle shifter while in D, it can shift on it’s own before you are ready.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Regarding using the steering wheel paddles for down/up shifting with an A10, here’s some helpful info for new A10 owners:

[1] In Normal (D) mode:
After initial vehicle start up, when the vehicle is in (D) and without driver intervention of touching the paddles, the trans is going to auto shift based on what it has adapated from learning the Driver’s driving habits and Ford’s mapping. The trans will hold the gear long enough as preprogrammed from Ford’s mapping and will auto down/up shift as needed based on that mapping AND the adapted Driver’s habits. The transmission will select the BEST and most OPTIMUM gear needed - it does NOT always shift like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 nor does it downshift through 10 consecutive gears.... it could go 1,3,5 or if downshifting, go 9,7,5.... you get the idea.

HOWEVER, if the driver intervenes while in (D) and clicks up/down with the paddles, the trans will hold the gear selected longer than the preprogrammed mode, but it will NOT redline and will auto shift out into the next gear IF the driver has not. The same is true for downshifting.

[2] In Sport (S) mode, the Driver has (2) options:

A) Touch the paddle and the trans is now controlled strictly by the Driver. This means if you click the paddle from a dead stop and start accelerating - the trans will NOT shift from 1 to 2 until the Driver makes the change manually. The car WILL hold the gear and WILL redline until the manual change is made. If the car was in motion and the Driver clicked a paddle (up or down), again, the trans WILL hold the current gear and CAN redline until the Driver makes the manual change.

B) If after vehicle start up, the Driver selected (S) initially and has NOT touched the paddles at all - in (S) the car will hold out the gears much longer than if in (D); the trans WILL auto shift but will NOT hold the gear out to redline based on the preprogrammed mapping from Ford. IF while driving, the user moves the shifter from (D) to (S) and the Driver does NOT touch the paddles, again the trans will react exactly in the same manner where it’s following the preprogrammed mapping from Ford.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To roll race you can also put the shifter in S, get side by side, stab the throttle quickly and the trans will automatically down shift to the gear that puts you at about 4500rpm, do the three honks and mash the pedal. You don't have to manually shift to the appropriate gear with the paddles using this method. This also works in D but the downshift is not to an rpm as aggressive (possibly below 4500rpm). Give it a try, its actually works well. This method keeps you from having to paddle shift through the race or trying to get out of manual shifting mode right before the race begins.
Sponsored