LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
You're in Michigan, and I can say this with the tracks here: Waterford is a good value. It has some areas that you really need to be mindful of, because you can get into some real trouble, but if you are mindful of them, the track is a great one to learn on; Waterford is lower speed track, but it has some really good technical learning points that you can grow with in competence and translate to other tracks. Gingerman, in my opinion, is the safest track to learn on in Michigan, but it will cost more than Waterford. Gingerman is more high-speed, but it is a lot less technical and there is really good runoff [for most of the track]. Waterford, also, has a lot of track days to attend.
Thanks for the advice! Its good to know a lot of other Michigan natives hang around here.
Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Thanks for the advice! Its good to know a lot of other Michigan natives hang around here.
There’s a good showing for Mustang, in general, for Mustang in Michigan. :thumbsup:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Whats the approximate original pad thickness for GLOC pad?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
What about the 2016+ Camaro SS? Sad to say as a Mustang GT PP owner, the SS is a really good track car. The gearing is set up very differently as well, when I test drove one, I found myself driving more like a momentum car than a big power car, maintaining speed through turns etc. Very little shifting on the back roads I test drove it on. Many reviews from the auto magazines noted the same thing. They definitely did NOT like the GT PP's handling compared to the SS, but then again maybe they didn't know how to drive it?

The SS is geared VERY tall, 1st gear is nearly as tall as 2nd on the GT, 2nd on the SS nearly as tall as 3rd on the GT etc., so you tend to want to maintain speed around the corner rather than come in hot, slow down mid and exit under power which seems to me how the PP GT gearing and suspension is set up from the factory. Two different ways but holding speed is sure easier on the brakes!

I suppose you could drive the GT the same way and just run it in the next taller gear though....but we also have to factor in that whole drive ability thing. The SS visibility is a far cry from the GT's, I did find myself having some real trouble seeing whats around the corner and it's daily practical aspect is lacking as well with a more cramped interior and smaller trunk. The GT is a really good blend of drive ability and performance, blending them together very well even if it's not the outright fastest track car outright in skilled hands.

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
... The SS visibility is a far cry from the GT's, I did find myself having some real trouble seeing whats around the corner and it's daily practical aspect is lacking as well with a more cramped interior and smaller trunk. The GT is a really good blend of drive ability and performance, blending them together very well even if it's not the outright fastest track car outright in skilled hands.
Basically why I didn't go for it. I test drove it and found it fun and it felt great in the turns, but the mustang was far more practical as a daily. I didn't really ever feel comfortable in the Camaro, It was just too cramped for me... I get that the Camaro is a considerably better track car. But seeing as this is more of my daily/lets learn how to track a few times a year car, the mustang just makes way more sense.

I also really did like the Corvette and it is way better in my opinion as a Daily then the Camaro, but it costing the same used as the mustang new and the fact that mustangs still a better daily and ride in general is why i went with the mustang.

I guess I'm gonna sacrifice not having a little bit faster car on the track, but o well I don't think i'm gonna notice too much at this stage.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Basically why I didn't go for it. I test drove it and found it fun and it felt great in the turns, but the mustang was far more practical as a daily. I didn't really ever feel comfortable in the Camaro, It was just too cramped for me... I get that the Camaro is a considerably better track car. But seeing as this is more of my daily/lets learn how to track a few times a year car, the mustang just makes way more sense.

I also really did like the Corvette and it is way better in my opinion as a Daily then the Camaro, but it costing the same used as the mustang new and the fact that mustangs still a better daily and ride in general is why i went with the mustang.

I guess I'm gonna sacrifice not having a little bit faster car on the track, but o well I don't think i'm gonna notice too much at this stage.
You can get the stang to perform exceptionally well if you do a small handful of choice modifications, to the point where you won't be missing anything.

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
You can get the stang to perform exceptionally well if you do a small handful of choice modifications, to the point where you won't be missing anything.
Specifically what kind? I'm curious to know.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Specifically what kind? I'm curious to know.

You'll get different opinions but keeping it simple.....
for me the things that stuck out were too much driveline movement, rear cradle movement and not enough front camber.

So I did motor mounts, trans bushing mount insert, and shifter bushing and at the rear I did cradle and diff bushings. And CC plates from somebody. Even with the stock PP suspension those changes make a big difference.

Oh, and new wheels and tires, I went with 285's on 10's front and 305's on 11's rear. Because I have stock spring/shock rates I wanted to maintain the front/rear tire split Ford designed this suspension for. I also think it's safer for the average driver because its ultimate cornering state if driven reasonably (meaning don't banzai charge into corners) is very controllable understeer.

Last edited:

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the Camber Plates, Tires, Cradle and Diff bushings. That would be a great budget start for track work. Springs and or sway bars would be the only other thing I would add to that basic "kit". My big things I noticed when tracking bone stock was the need for more negative camber, less body roll and better damping, remove rear end sloppiness, better tires and brake cooling/better pads.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm a novice myself with only two track days under my belt. My first experience was Road Atlanta with nothing but tires (because the Pirellis were a bit old) and progressive springs.

Besides the car feeling very heavy, I found the car was much more capable than I am. Even on my second track day at Atlanta Motorsports Park, I was still the limit.

So, I guess I'm saying the PP1 package is great for a novice.
Sponsored