Sponsored

Base GT aftermarket rotor upgrade

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Has anyone with base GT upgraded their brake rotors? After learning about base inverse design of the rotor (cooling veins are pulling from wheel side / cooling ducts are useless) I'm looking for aftermarket alternatives, but it seems like the market is favoring PP rotors. Any recommendations?
Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I know Baer for sure has a two piece rotor. Not 100% sure if their one piece changes the cooling vein intake to inboard, but their website picture looks like it.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I have a PP EB which comes with the base GT brakes.
I'm using DBA's Club Spec 4000 T3 with reasonable success. Had them on the car with Hawk pads for 11 track days now with some minor visible wear. They still have the cooling vanes facing the outside like the stock rotors but it hasn't seemed like an issue for me. I consider them a good mid-grade upgrade.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I know Baer for sure has a two piece rotor. Not 100% sure if their one piece changes the cooling vein intake to inboard, but their website picture looks like it.
Yeah that's...expensive lol

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I have a PP EB which comes with the base GT brakes.
I'm using DBA's Club Spec 4000 T3 with reasonable success. Had them on the car with Hawk pads for 11 track days now with some minor visible wear. They still have the cooling vanes facing the outside like the stock rotors
Really? That's disappointing...I don't know how much difference it makes that the EB is lighter than GT, but I'm trying to avoid going through brake pads like candy (because of all that heat).

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
You can always buy a Miata for cheap track day prices.
I don't fit :\

But the reason I say that is not because I'm trying to cheap out, but because I don't track the car often enough (4-6 a year) to warrant the price tag, and if I were to seriously consider going that way I'd rather just get the Brembo 6 pots from PP (which is a whole another debate I'm having because I would need to replace 2 sets of wheels in order to clear them).

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I don't fit :\

But the reason I say that is not because I'm trying to cheap out, but because I don't track the car often enough (4-6 a year) to warrant the price tag, and if I were to seriously consider going that way I'd rather just get the Brembo 6 pots from PP (which is a whole another debate I'm having because I would need to replace 2 sets of wheels in order to clear them).
I have similar problems. I can't get my 6'7" frame into a Miata. The S550 has been awesome for that reason. I fit even with my helmet.

I've been using the Hawk Street/Race pads and have gotten at least reasonable wear out of them. I also tried a set of the Powerstop Z26's. Those did not last. Maybe 4 track days. I think I got better wear from the stock pads. At $170 for a front set, they're not breaking the bank.

This is also my DD that I run an 18" winter tire on, so the 6 pot PP brakes really aren't an option at this time.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That is where comparing the two costs and performance of each start really coming into play. Also how many times you run on track a year. Is the $700 (no slots or holes) that might last longer, never had experience with a Baer solid but had bad results with Baer drilled, worth possibly lasting longer? Hard since there are not lots of people out there that have the data already. Tough call. You can also wait till places like Lethal have a sale and save even more.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Your cheapest and best bang for buck is get the OEM 6 pistons that come off the PP cars. Maybe find them on eBay or buy new

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Your cheapest and best bang for buck is get the OEM 6 pistons that come off the PP cars. Maybe find them on eBay or buy new
I wouldn't say cheapest. Cost of calipers, rotors, hopefully lines come with it, master cylinder, brake booster. I'm looking at ~$1500 CAD without labour. Then I have to sell 2 sets of wheels and get 2 new sets to fit the brakes.

I really thought about it, but the amount of $$ and effort involved for my frequency of tracking I think it's not worth it. Next time I will know to buy a correctly optioned out car.

I guess I'll just have to drop $200 a year on 2 sets of brake pads.

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I wouldn't say cheapest. Cost of calipers, rotors, hopefully lines come with it, master cylinder, brake booster. I'm looking at ~$1500 CAD without labour. Then I have to sell 2 sets of wheels and get 2 new sets to fit the brakes.

I really thought about it, but the amount of $$ and effort involved for my frequency of tracking I think it's not worth it. Next time I will know to buy a correctly optioned out car.

I guess I'll just have to drop $200 a year on 2 sets of brake pads.
Usually people say that you don't need a master cylinder and brake booster but Vorshlag's last post made me curious. Supposedly they are all the same design but clearly something is different.
Sponsored