Sponsored

How to keep a10 from shifting

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Because you can hold the selected gear via paddle shifter as long as you want with the shifter in S. If you use the paddle shifter while in D, it can shift on it’s own before you are ready.
I get that...but his example had him moving the shifter from S+ to D as soon as he went WOT.

Even in normal D it holds the gear you select long enough to go WOT?
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
To roll race you can also put the shifter in S, get side by side, stab the throttle quickly and the trans will automatically down shift to the gear that puts you at about 4500rpm, do the three honks and mash the pedal. You don't have to manually shift to the appropriate gear with the paddles using this method. This also works in D but the downshift is not to an rpm as aggressive (possibly below 4500rpm). Give it a try, its actually works well. This method keeps you from having to paddle shift through the race or trying to get out of manual shifting mode right before the race begins.
That makes sense and seems better than moving the shifter during WOT.

10r80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
To roll race you can also put the shifter in S, get side by side, stab the throttle quickly and the trans will automatically down shift to the gear that puts you at about 4500rpm, do the three honks and mash the pedal. You don't have to manually shift to the appropriate gear with the paddles using this method. This also works in D but the downshift is not to an rpm as aggressive (possibly below 4500rpm). Give it a try, its actually works well. This method keeps you from having to paddle shift through the race or trying to get out of manual shifting mode right before the race begins.
That is assuming all the other factors while roll racing fall in place as this method will only provide a small window before automatically shifting again.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
It would be nice if there was a gear hold button that you could release when you were ready for it to take over the shifting duties. In S mode it does hold gears longer then D mode. I agree that you can't take long before taking off or it will upshift.

jlwilson10609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
That makes sense and seems better than moving the shifter during WOT.
Although it will work (for a tiny window of opportunity) you don't want to do that kind of stab of the throttle to get it to downshift to your "gear of choice" at my power level it will put tons of stress on the drivetrain. My method allows you to find your gear, get the car settled instead of bucking around, and when the race begins you just bump the gear selector forward to D, it will only move one space (no risk of moving to N or R) and it will feel smooth and transition perfectly. That being said, if someone wants to use a different method from mine and it works consistent enough to use at a roll race 1/4 or 1/2 mile event I am excited to see the results and try it myself.

:cheers:

Sponsored

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
This is actually the biggest thing i hate about my 18. In my camaro and in my dodge double tapping and holding paddle shifter will automatically shift the car to the lowest possible gear, then after that once you reach redline the car would move back to drive mode and turn paddles off. Alot of 18 mustangs are gonna lose roll races because you cannot do this and some sugggested switching back too drive after launching but i can guarantee if you keep doing this you will end up in neutral or reverse one day.

jlwilson10609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
haha, you do know it doesn’t go past D right? Gotta push the top button to make that happen. But hey, I’ll roll race your Camaro and Challenger buddies and look for that L.

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
haha, you do know it doesn’t go past D right? Gotta push the top button to make that happen. But hey, I’ll roll race your Camaro and Challenger buddies and look for that L.
maybe my 2018 A10 is messed up. If I start the car and drive around in “D” everything is fine. If I move the shifter to “S” and paddle down to my desired gear and floor it, I push the shifter up to “D” and it will go all the way to “N” if I push hard enough. It won’t go into “R”, but my car goes past “D”. Car has 1,800 miles.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
maybe my 2018 A10 is messed up. If I start the car and drive around in “D” everything is fine. If I move the shifter to “S” and paddle down to my desired gear and floor it, I push the shifter up to “D” and it will go all the way to “N” if I push hard enough. It won’t go into “R”, but my car goes past “D”. Car has 1,800 miles.
If done it too. A little too excited. Don’t hold the top of the shift lever. Just lightly tap it forward into drive around 5500 rpms.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Tuners can make it hold the gear you downshift into while the shifter is in drive for like 35 seconds which is great for roll racing instead of the stock 3 seconds. PBD did this for me. It will also still automatically downshift if you still arent in the proper gear for full throttle and it will still automatically shift at your shift point.

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Tuners can make it hold the gear you downshift into while the shifter is in drive for like 35 seconds which is great for roll racing instead of the stock 3 seconds. PBD did this for me. It will also still automatically downshift if you still arent in the proper gear for full throttle and it will still automatically shift at your shift point.
I am PBD tuned as well. I will call them tomorrow.
Sponsored