Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I was on the Ford racing site a couple weeks back and asked one of their reps when their ProCal Tune would be out for the Mustang EB. They said the scheduled release date is August 1st.

Has anyone else been told this or found a source with the scheduled release date? My biggest issue is warranty. With only 1,600 miles I have a ways to go before the power train warranty expires, which is a good thing.

The downside is I can't run a tune and no I'm not going to risk and serious engine failure on a $26,000 car the bank still owns. Maybe if it was paid for in cash or I was done with payments and the warranty was up, I might do it as I could replace the entire engine in cash if needed, but that's not the case right now.

So that leaves only the Ford Racing tune and a few other minor changes (which I confirmed with the Ford Racing rep) which should not have any effect on the power train warranty, such as an inter cooler and catch can both of which go a long way in making the engine more reliable (catch can and IC) and consistent power pull after pull (IC).

The Ford Racing rep is the only source I've found on a release date so I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard or seen anything on this that would confirm / reinforce that.
Sponsored

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
What website were you on ? Do you have a link please ?

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
It drops it from 5/60 power train to a 3/36 warr

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
There's another ProCal thread on here that gets brought back from the dead every so often. What I've been told lines up with what you've heard in regards to an August release. Next week is Mustang Week and Ford Performance is always there, so I'll ask them directly about it there and update you on it.

Also, as 4bangin mentioned, you don't get to keep the 5/60 factory warranty with the ProCal. You only retain the 3/36 warranty, and after that, you're done with the warranty. A lot of people fail to recognize that, and to me, that'd be a large piece in the decision process of what tuning I wanted to pursue.

Here's something else to think about — all of the failures have been early '15 cars. The '16 cars, E code engines, have had zero failures. From what I'm hearing around, Ford changed the rod bolts and assembly processes with the new engines. As such, whatever they've done has appeared to work.

I said all of that to say this. I wouldn't spend money on the Procal to get a very watered down tune and still lose 2/24 off of my warranty. The Cobb AP is a very nice device with a ton of great features that clearly take it ten steps above the rest, and it's constantly being improved. Adam can tune your car very safely and I'd have no qualms about the safety of his tuning, especially in the E code engines.

Like I said in another thread, I've been tuned since 1k miles and I'm at almost 50k now. Heat management and good preventive maintenance coupled with common sense will go a long way with the longevity of your engine. Anomalies do happen, but they're far and few between.

Sponsored

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
When did they switch to the e code engines?

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
03/30/2015, I believe.
According to my stick, May of 2016. Although that may not have necessarily been when the engine was assembled. Where can you see the engine build date or are you going by the car build date?

I think there's some wisdom to waiting for at least a year before buying a new design from any company. Although that's not a 100% guarantee, it seems to be a common recurring theme that infant mortality issues, weather it's design related or production process related, seem to be by far the highest in first year builds, at least with domestic cars.

Jap cars seem to be a different story from my experience, the first couple years actually seem to be the better quality as their mindset is highly detail oriented. Over time is when they start cutting costs and quality starts to suffer some what as they come close to the phase out of the product, although I don't have statistical data on that.

BTW, any articles on the design changes of the E code engines? I'd like to read about what exactly they changed and why. Nice to know I have a 2016, although it was more happenstance than anything as I was planning on waiting a while longer to get into the stang originally but circumstances permitted a shorter time frame than I had originally planned.

Regarding the warranty, 36k miles is far better than 0 miles. I'll wait until the Ford tune comes out to see what it actually produces. The assumption it will be watered down seems unfair until we actually see if its watered down. The Ford Racing ST tune is pushing another 90 ft-lbs peak torque, which is more than a stock 2.3 makes. I wouldn't call that watered down...if the 2.3L tune is a dud I will consider Cobb or Livernois (they actually have been tuning EB's since 09, longer than anyone else) as they seem to have the best reputations.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Thanks for the mention Lion!

That is correct, we have been tuning the entire performance line of EcoBoost vehicles since 2009, and all without a failure.

We offer amazing tuning for the S550. With the purchase of our tuner you also get free unlimited remote tuning support and revisions for supported modifications. So as you add your bolt-ons we will support you with free tune revisions!

Here is the link to our S550 MyCal tuner:
//www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631123

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The assumption it will be watered down seems unfair until we actually see if its watered down.
The FoST numbers look good on paper, sure, but I've driven a plethora of FoSTs that's been Protuned (Cobb) and that's had Ford's ProCal tuning. It is a daylight and dark difference between the two tunes. Even though Ford sells the tuning as a performance tune, it's still going to be very conservative and warranty minded. That's what I meant by watered down. I realize everyone has different goals and expectations too though, so as long as it meets your requirements, then that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
I might be the first to have a bad e-code engine but will see.... I should be getting a call back from ford today. And just to clarify I might have just been super unlucky and rings didn't set correctly. Happens once in a great GREAT while. Car was mostly stock so again very unlucky and like most have said get an actual tune. Almost all the tuners on here know what they're doing so honestly just comes down to preference. I really liked what lund was doing with their cars so went that route. But so far from what I've been seeing every tuner on here is great performance wise.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
The Ford Racing rep is the only source I've found on a release date so I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard or seen anything on this that would confirm / reinforce that.
I was there and they said the GT tune would be out by the end of June. June came and past and I don't see anything. Having being here and reading through everybody else responses, they being pulling this crap for a long time , supposedly since 2015.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Hm, so with the added incorporation of extra parts and hardware, you now have tiers of performance packs to chose from. Explains the delay since they are dependent on 3rd party suppliers/manufactures.

Ecoboost for September.

Judging by the GT numbers, it looks promising. Just a tune adds 13-16 bhp and 20 lb-sq torque peak, and a lot more on the low end as well. 40 lbs per sq ft at 1500 RPM for the base package will speed up those 0-60's on the GT. I am not sure how many people are willing to risk wear-tare for an extra couple of tenths of a second.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusi...om-ford-performance-parts-for-2015-17-mu.html
Sponsored

Last edited: