Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey guys, a little late to the party but didn't get a chance to read through all of the posts in this thread. Do we know what is causing the thud and what can be done to fix it?
Hi ebolamonkey3,

Have you had a chance to visit your dealer to have this checked out? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

Sponsored

Sim.S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Performance Pack | 20
Hi ebolamonkey3,

Have you had a chance to visit your dealer to have this checked out? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan
I went to my dealer and they just write it off as normal. I even have a whine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I don't have the thud, I have clunking when on and off the throttle. Drive line lash, if I take the drive shaft out u can rotate the diff back and for 3.4 inch.

I think this is what my car has!

UK Manual GT PP, so is a 3.55 Traction lok.

Car as standard brand new had a very slight thud, hard to notice infact but I am sensitive to NVH, passengers could not hear it, but it did not bother me to be honest. :)

Then I fitted:-
Steeda differential red bushing inserts: Thud practically gone!
Installed BMR CB005 cradle lockout: Got light clunking instead!

From speaking with Kelly and I agree what I am hearing now is what you are hearing which is drive line rash which transmits through the steeda urethane bushes through the solid mounts of the CB005 kit into the cabin.

Yes its a tad annoying, but I am learning to shift in a way preventing it when at low speeds, at high speeds it does not happen or it does but exhaust drowns it out. But CB005 and the bushing inserts make the rear-end of this car feel so much better!

The only thing I did consider, would a one piece carbon drive shaft help with the driveline rash noise which I think is the clunking I can hear that only happens upon clutch operation sometimes, mainly at low/normal speeds. :)

kbow13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I will also vouch for the red Steeda diff bushing insert. My 2016 GT pp thud is 95% gone. On rare occasions hear a faint thud. I also noticed a decrease in wheel hop, not completely gone but better. Great mod with a very affordable price!

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I will also vouch for the red Steeda diff bushing insert. My 2016 GT pp thud is 95% gone. On rare occasions hear a faint thud. I also noticed a decrease in wheel hop, not completely gone but better. Great mod with a very affordable price!

Glad our diff bushing inserts not only nearly eliminated the thud, but also reduced wheel hop! :)

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from a drive with the Steeda bushing inserts installed (red) and I am happy with the results. The rear end seems more tied down and the car is overall more balanced. That was the primary reason I did the mod. The thud isn't gone but it has been diminished somewhat. From neutral to 1st it's there slightly, but it seems like once I am rolling, the thud is less pronounced during gear changes. Shifting seems a bit smoother to me, too. Overall, it was a worthwhile mod IMO. The install was kind of a pain, as you have to drop the front subframe bolts to lower the front of it down to get in the last bolts. Right now I feel like this car is setup perfect with the few things I have done to it.

kenbidwell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 F250 Tremor, 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP(wifes car)
Changed transmission fluid yesterday with Redline MT85. Smoother and the thud is gone going into first. Small thud when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but much better. Can't believe that just a fluid change helped. Less noise from the transmission also. Over all a great change and fairly easy to do.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
question...

I have the thud. Is this something actually causing damage?

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Only to your ears when you jab a screwdriver in them if the noise frustrates you enough...lol

question...

I have the thud. Is this something actually causing damage?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Only to your ears when you jab a screwdriver in them if the noise frustrates you enough...lol
I haven't decided how much it frustrates me just yet..lol

Can someone give me the dumbed down version of what's actually occurring when this happens? I know people are saying get these differential bushings, but I'm not diff savvy. What causes the thud?
Sponsored