Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
This is not "NORMAL":headbonk: I agree. I'm not wasting hours at dealer for an answer, "It's Normal." If it were normal, all manual cars would do it and they don't. Ford is losing sales over this and its newfound rep. They've had plenty of time over the past five years to engineer this problem. Man, we put people on the Moon 46 years ago, and we brought them back. Ford can surely fix this and soon. :ford:
I don't like the thud (I hate it in fact), I wish the thud would go away, and I hope Ford does something about it (but I doubt it).

Regardless, your logic is quite flawed.

If every manual car had the exact same transmission and the rest of drive train and only the mustangs had the thud, maybe you'd be on to something.

It is very possible that this is normal behavior for this transmission paired with the rest of this drive train.
Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I have changed everything , clutch , shifter , fluid , drive shaft ,clutch line , axles and I still have the same thud ...I guess we live with it until Ford fixes it by TSB or Recall ...You can send a report of this to the NTSB , might help if we all did ..? https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Last edited:

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I was told by a Ford engineer that was close to this car's driveline that "Ford can't fix the transmission", the implication being that Ford wasn't in a position to get Getrag to make changes to it. I'm not sure why that would be - they certainly lean on suppliers for lower profile issues - but they were pursuing NVH concerns elsewhere in the drivetrain. At least that was what I was told at the time, around a year ago. YMMV...

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
lol they arent going to recall anything because some people dont like the thump

Recalls are for hardcore safety issues that can cause death.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Recalls are for anything that might be a significant design or manufacturing error, something that would lead to the product being disabled or partially non-functional. Situations that are safety related are mandatory and get the most attention, but it is not limited to that. A good example was the recall for the '99 SVT Cobra, where Ford pulled back all the cars to clean out their manifolds. The cars were certainly functional and safe, but failed to deliver on their claimed performance.

If Ford determined that the transmissions had an assembly error that would make them noisy or difficult to operate, they could conceivably recall the car to fix the said error. However, I'd bet that it would only occur if they decided the bad press/customer relation was more costly than the fix. With the Cobra, the PR was the cost balanced against the investment in repairs. It depends on the severity of the issue, and would likely be only situations were the issue had to be fixed and not let slide.

But tied to that, it would also be related to how many complaints they got in the first place. If its only one or two, then the problem is low exposure, low risk. But if they have a lot of problem cars, then the exposure will make them take action. That's why its important to waste the dealer's time with diagnosing the thud, even if we know in advance what they'll tell us. The more times that a complaint is filed, the high profile it becomes. The Cobra recall started when owners dynoed their cars and found them underperforming. It was an era were internet influence was starting to become important, and the stink that was raised became high profile quickly.

Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
lol they arent going to recall anything because some people dont like the thump

Recalls are for hardcore safety issues that can cause death.
Not true , I got a recall started for a motorcycle problem that was NOT hard core ..

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
But is this "thud" a recall item? Or simply a noise that is natural but wasn't dampened for whatever reason?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
But is this "thud" a recall item? Or simply a noise that is natural but wasn't dampened for whatever reason?
I'd guess that no, it isn't. It really sounds like an operating characteristic of this transmission design, a design that has been fully validated as such and is durable & sound. It just happens to be a characteristic that is objectionable. With that said, however, if there are enough complaints about it, they may still be motivated to address it, maybe as a TBS. From what I've read & heard, though, I do think that they have enough other issues with driveline NVH that this might be a low priority.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'd guess that no, it isn't. It really sounds like an operating characteristic of this transmission design, a design that has been fully validated as such and is durable & sound. It just happens to be a characteristic that is objectionable. With that said, however, if there are enough complaints about it, they may still be motivated to address it, maybe as a TBS. From what I've read & heard, though, I do think that they have enough other issues with driveline NVH that this might be a low priority.
Here’s what I got after speaking with my Technical Expert, EXP Jawa. With the 2015 Mustangs, we have higher power outputs, so we have to have heavier duty transmission internals to deal with it. This will make for more noise when driven.

If anyone feels what you’re experiencing is not normal, please bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer and get it checked out.

Deysha

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Well, as cover stories go, that one sounds plausible to the average person. But still, these are issues that could've been worked out in the design phase but were not. As someone that has experience dealing with Ford driveline engineering, I rather suspect that Getrag gave Ford that answer, it would certainly not fly.

Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I'm so glad I found this thread. Just got mine last week, and it's the one thing I don't like about the car besides the the mileage.

John S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
Here’s what I got after speaking with my Technical Expert, EXP Jawa. With the 2015 Mustangs, we have higher power outputs, so we have to have heavier duty transmission internals to deal with it. This will make for more noise when driven.

If anyone feels what you’re experiencing is not normal, please bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer and get it checked out.

Deysha
I've had higher Hp corvettes and Cadillacs that didn't have any noise in the drive train. :frusty:

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well, as cover stories go, that one sounds plausible to the average person. But still, these are issues that could've been worked out in the design phase but were not. As someone that has experience dealing with Ford driveline engineering, I rather suspect that Getrag gave Ford that answer, it would certainly not fly.
I understand where you’re coming from, EXP Jawa. If you’re experiencing this, please bring it in to your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it.

I'm so glad I found this thread. Just got mine last week, and it's the one thing I don't like about the car besides the the mileage.
Be sure to bring yours in and get it checked out and PM me with your info as well, NotMarc.

Deysha

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I have changed everything , clutch , shifter , fluid , drive shaft ,clutch line , axles and I still have the same thud ...I guess we live with it until Ford fixes it by TSB or Recall ...You can send a report of this to the NTSB , might help if we all did ..? https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
Now we know what it is NOT, right? Thanks for taking one for the team, lol. At least you probably have a nice, upgraded drivetrain now. That makes the gearbox itself even more suspect to me.

Does anyone know of a documented failure of this latest iteration of the MT-82 on a stock car, disallowing suspected abuse? Either synchro failure or some other failure which does not allow operation? I am waiting to see what happens over time to the '15s. I'm not ready to scream that the sky is falling. To me it is a very minor annoyance.

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Now we know what it is NOT, right? Thanks for taking one for the team, lol. At least you probably have a nice, upgraded drivetrain now. That makes the gearbox itself even more suspect to me.

Does anyone know of a documented failure of this latest iteration of the MT-82 on a stock car, disallowing suspected abuse? Either synchro failure or some other failure which does not allow operation? I am waiting to see what happens over time to the '15s. I'm not ready to scream that the sky is falling. To me it is a very minor annoyance.

I am not sure about failure rate but I swear I have read a few posts where guys swapped out axles/driveshaft..etc...and it DID eliminate or decrease the "thud" :shrug:
Sponsored