Sponsored

Caliper modification

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
In the spirit of conversation, what would it take to convert a race only caliper to a street caliper? The first thing that comes to mind is the pistons. At first blush, it would seem the piston would need to be modified to allow it to seal and prevent contamination. Definitely not something a garage mechanic can do but seems possible with the right machine shop. Is there anything else?

No, I'm not modifying my calipers. Trying to understand the process as it is apparently done by some.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Race caliper pistons have seals too. Not really sure what you're getting at.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I think the OP is talking about a "big brake swap?" He just used the word "convert" instead of "replace" or "upgrade." Is that it, OP?

Depending on what vehicle you have (Ecoboost base, EB with PP, GT, etc) you have some options available to you. The base GT front rotors/calipers are a direct bolt-in for the base EB and can be found pretty cheaply.

The PP Brembo setup can also be bought new (expensive) or as take-offs. Or you could construct your own "kit" by buying the Brembo calipers and performance rotors/pads separately. Lots of diff options.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I think the OP is talking about a "big brake swap?" He just used the word "convert" instead of "replace" or "upgrade." Is that it, OP?

Depending on what vehicle you have (Ecoboost base, EB with PP, GT, etc) you have some options available to you. The base GT front rotors/calipers are a direct bolt-in for the base EB and can be found pretty cheaply.

The PP Brembo setup can also be bought new (expensive) or as take-offs. Or you could construct your own "kit" by buying the Brembo calipers and performance rotors/pads separately. Lots of diff options.
No, I mean modify. I'm specifically looking at AP Racing but don't like the fact that they don't have a dust boot on them. So if I wanted to make a racing kit into a more street tolerant kit, what needs to be done? The video above eludes to what one of the differences is and what could happen if you don't have a dirt boot.

As far as big brake kits, done enough research and found that, money wise, there are some pretty damn good kits out there that give me bang for the buck. Optimum Performance has a front brake kit that is pretty tough to beat using PP calipers. The GT350 kit is very nice and decently priced through various Ford and aftermarket suppliers like FTB. Then their is the AP stuff. Damn pricey but it has some significant improvements as well.

Personally, I'm after performance per lb. I have seen over and over that GT350 brakes are overkill since you are better off getting track pads for the track using a smaller caliper like the PP. Using two piece rotors drops some lbs but not much (51.4 lbs is the lightest so far which includes all hardware). Radi Cal II comes in at 48.5lbs vs my stock 57.3 lbs. That is almost a 9 lb diet per wheel.

The AP Racing competition stuff comes in at almost 15 lbs less per wheel. I find it hard to believe that the extra 6 lbs of weight (difference between Radi Cal II and competition package) comes from what makes a caliper street tolerant. So back to my original question, what does it take to make a race caliper more tolerant of street driving?

Sponsored

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
Rear race kits usually do not have a provision for a parking/emergency brake, so that would be something you would want to take into consideration. Some companies offer a second mini caliper just for this purpose.

Dust boots are another issue as you mentioned, and race designs typically have no effort made to reduce the various noises that can be produced. Plenty of people have used "race" calipers on the street - just put the effort into cleaning and inspecting them regularly instead of modifying them.

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
There are different radi-cal calipers. The ones you linked above are not worth it IMO. The GT PP Brembo with a 2 piece disc is far superior.

The radi-cal calipers I carry are the Race versions. They are lighter because they’ve been stripped of all unnessecary weight. They are anodized and not painted. They have seals for the fluid but don’t have dust boots, they have cncd domed ss pistons with knockback springs over cast aluminum and they are radially mounted.

The kits I sell are totally streetable in most climates. But I don’t recommend using them where you have snow and thus salt that can get into the seal area.

If you don’t want to go with a race kit due to cost then the GTPP caliper, 2 piece discs, good fluid and ss lines are a great combo.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
There are different radi-cal calipers. The ones you linked above are not worth it IMO. The GT PP Brembo with a 2 piece disc is far superior.

The radi-cal calipers I carry are the Race versions. They are lighter because they’ve been stripped of all unnessecary weight. They are anodized and not painted. They have seals for the fluid but don’t have dust boots, they have cncd domed ss pistons with knockback springs over cast aluminum and they are radially mounted.

The kits I sell are totally streetable in most climates. But I don’t recommend using them where you have snow and thus salt that can get into the seal area.

If you don’t want to go with a race kit due to cost then the GTPP caliper, 2 piece discs, good fluid and ss lines are a great combo.
Didn't realize you had J hook rotors for PP calipers. Good to know if I go PP.

Do you have a recommendation for street AP calipers? I found on that looks comparable to a race caliper but with boots.

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
Didn't realize you had J hook rotors for PP calipers. Good to know if I go PP.

Do you have a recommendation for street AP calipers? I found on that looks comparable to a race caliper but with boots.
I sure did, I did the initial testing and they are Race proven. They transfer the GTPP setup into a force to be reckoned with.

I don’t, just because you’d be better off with the GTPP with the AP caliper.

I’ve done it all, multiple brands, multiple platforms etc etc. I don’t recommend or sell anything that I wouldn’t run myself. I’ve wasted so much money and time on bs in the past and believe being upfront is the way to go.

That GTPP caliper is so understated on here on how good it actually is. Forged body, internal crossover tube, removable bridge, monobloc, and very light.

If you don’t want to do a race setup and aren’t looking to track your car on a weekly basis then this is your next best bet.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153037014912
That^
AP discs
Ferodo DS1.11 or DSUNO pads up front
Ss lines all around
Good fluid
GTPP Pads out back.

You’d be in it around 2500 and have a very very good setup. I do package deals :D
Sponsored