Sponsored

SR Lowering Springs vs BMR/Steeda Springs

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Can anyone chime in if they made the switch from one to the other? I have a brand new set of SR Springs that I won in a bet sitting in my garage and I'm not sure about them. Was thinking of selling them and getting either Steeda or BMR springs to pair with some shocks for some slight lowering.

Concern is ride quality mostly and not lowering the car so much that it tucks the wheels inside the fender. I had H&R springs + Koni Yellow shocks on my old car and the handling improved a lot but they were so aggressive that the car would 3-wheel going up a steep driveway and felt like I was riding on a solid suspension. Not looking to rattle the Mustang apart with a harsh setup like that.
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I won't speak to the other springs, but I can tell you this about our springs ...

There is a certain "sweet" spot for the suspension that we have found, through hours & hours of testing on the track, street & strip ... & we found lowering the front 1.125" and rear 1"is a nice sweet spot.

Our experience and expertise in high-performance street and racing suspension systems is second to none - Put that experience to work for you. Steeda springs are all in-house engineered and custom made to our exact specifications by one of the top spring manufacturers in the market.

Steeda springs provide the best combinations of handling and ride quality available!

I will let others weigh in ... but you will be very happy with the quality & ride that the Steeda Springs offer.

Best Regards,

TJ

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone chime in if they made the switch from one to the other? I have a brand new set of SR Springs that I won in a bet sitting in my garage and I'm not sure about them. Was thinking of selling them and getting either Steeda or BMR springs to pair with some shocks for some slight lowering.

Concern is ride quality mostly and not lowering the car so much that it tucks the wheels inside the fender. I had H&R springs + Koni Yellow shocks on my old car and the handling improved a lot but they were so aggressive that the car would 3-wheel going up a steep driveway and felt like I was riding on a solid suspension. Not looking to rattle the Mustang apart with a harsh setup like that.
I'd recommend getting in contact with [MENTION=19644]Lexman[/MENTION]. He's got a very nice setup and is also in the NW 'burbs.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

Another, great choice would be the Steeda minimum drop springs.

We increased the rate slightly over the P/P rates to compensate for the front roll rate change, due to the lower front roll center encounter when you lower the vehicle.
The reason Steeda does not put a nose down rake in our springs is because you will actually shift more weight to the front wheels which is not good for for handling and it disrupts the front to rear weight distribution. We found even drops to be the best for handling and vehicle control. Who wants to build a nose heavy vehicle.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Minimum-Drop-Lowering-Springs--Linear-15-18_p_13494.html
2.jpg min drop spring.jpg
download.jpg min drop S550.jpg

Last edited:

laardilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT FB 2015 EU
Hey.
I have myself SR performance springs on 2016 GT with PP so i cant compare to steeda, eibach or another brands, but from my POV the "comfort vs performance" ratio is very good.
I admit i would like just a little bit more softer feel on broken roads (and we have a lot of them here) because its my daily, but there has to be some compromise made imho.

What interests me too is comparsion to the steeda minimal drop and steeda sport progressive springs.
I have so far gathered some data from web / shops and since tj from steeda is around, maybe he can tell us more about this:
SR Perf. Springs rates - Front: 185-275 lb/in. , Rear: 800-880 lb/in.
Steeda minimum drop Linear - Front- 200lb/in , Rear - 750lb/in
Steeda Sport Springs Progressive - ???? - didnt found the rates

From this i think the SR have "softer" front springs start so they should be little bit more comfortable when you are easy on the road, but they go harder when you push it. The rear SR should be "harder" from the start then steeda.
I kinda dislike the idea of linear springs for daily - shouldnt more comfortable springs be rather progressive??
And can steeda tell us the rates for the sport progressive type?? .)

So i think you should try the SR Perf. for yourself (you can sell them later anyway :)
It definitly isnt too hars. Just little bit harder and way more predictable driving.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Hey.
I have myself SR performance springs on 2016 GT with PP so i cant compare to steeda, eibach or another brands, but from my POV the "comfort vs performance" ratio is very good.
I admit i would like just a little bit more softer feel on broken roads (and we have a lot of them here) because its my daily, but there has to be some compromise made imho.

What interests me too is comparsion to the steeda minimal drop and steeda sport progressive springs.
I have so far gathered some data from web / shops and since tj from steeda is around, maybe he can tell us more about this:
SR Perf. Springs rates - Front: 185-275 lb/in. , Rear: 800-880 lb/in.
Steeda minimum drop Linear - Front- 200lb/in , Rear - 750lb/in
Steeda Sport Springs Progressive - ???? - didnt found the rates

From this i think the SR have "softer" front springs start so they should be little bit more comfortable when you are easy on the road, but they go harder when you push it. The rear SR should be "harder" from the start then steeda.
I kinda dislike the idea of linear springs for daily - shouldnt more comfortable springs be rather progressive??
And can steeda tell us the rates for the sport progressive type?? .)

So i think you should try the SR Perf. for yourself (you can sell them later anyway :)
It definitly isnt too hars. Just little bit harder and way more predictable driving.
Attached is the Steeda link to our spring guide:

http://steeda.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/Steeda S550 Spring Guide.pdf

Thank you,

Steeda Tech

laardilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT FB 2015 EU
Awesome, thanx Steeda!!

So if I see it right then the Sport Progressive springs should be the MOST comfortable for daily driver with rates even lower then stock so even more comfortable??
(stock should be 160lb/in front, 668lb/in rear from what i found, not sure if with or without PP)
And if i pair them with non-adj Pro-Action as you recomnend, should i expect loss of comfort and gain of performance or will the comfort stay on the same lvl?
Thanks for elaboration.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
:cheers:
Awesome, thanx Steeda!!

So if I see it right then the Sport Progressive springs should be the MOST comfortable for daily driver with rates even lower then stock so even more comfortable??
(stock should be 160lb/in front, 668lb/in rear from what i found, not sure if with or without PP)
And if i pair them with non-adj Pro-Action as you recomnend, should i expect loss of comfort and gain of performance or will the comfort stay on the same lvl?
Thanks for elaboration.
Yes, you are correct. The Steeda Sport Progressive Springs are the most comfortable handling spring on the S550 market today. Plus, they work very well with the Steeda non-adj Pro-Action

Most of the high end European vehicles are using Progressive Springs today because it gives you the best of both worlds ride quality and handling,

On another note, it takes much more engineering data to design a progressive spring than a linear. Plus it costs more to manufacture.

Thank you,
Steeda Tech

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a recent review from Sixtus - he has the Steeda Progressive Springs & the Pro Action shocks & struts too:

A True Steeda Believer!
So after having ghostsurfed these forums for reviews on suspension parts for the past two years I pulled the trigger on Black Friday and saved 20% off my entire Steeda order of Progressive Springs, Pro Action (nonadjustable) Shocks/Struts, Front & Rear adjustable sway bars, Rear Shock Mounts, IRS bushing support and alignment kit, Camber plates, and Bumpsteer kit *Refer to link for feedback on the other suspension parts besides the Springs*: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85455

SPECIFICALLY THE SPRINGS:
Only having put 250 miles since the complete suspension overhaul I gotta say I am soooooo happy with the stance, ride quality as well as the roll control, a true win/win. The nose dive is the biggest thing you notice over everything else. I brake a good half second or two later just because I know that the nose will be so expertly controlled (I guess I'm gonna need new brake pads more regularly).

In the turns, the springs (with pro actions and sways) have been remarkable, with a more controlled weight transfer that is another great improvement over the floaty/wobbly way the car would transfer before. I have had no noise from the springs thanks to the rubber covering Steeda provided (I've heard people complain of noisy progressive springs).

The ride height is amazing with my 275x35x20 setup, really fills in the wheel well perfectly. I never thought I would be a fan of rake, but the 1.1" front and 1" rear drops gives it such a more menacing look with the slightest rake. (pictures of rake looked weird to me, so glad to see it in person) Only downside is that now I gotta remove my MMD mud flaps due to the ride height in the front, they scrape on everything

When you cruise on the highway it feels smoother than the non-pp gt springs yet in the turns they tighten smoothly and effectively. I find these springs to be a much better choice than what Ford thought would be a good "GT" spring setup The stock car should have come with progressive springs like these!

Thank you to JC, and Harry at Steeda for helping me understand my needs and suggesting the best course of action to meet those needs in my purchase. Would recommend highly these springs (as well as the other mods I got) to other Mustang owners who are looking for a Top Tier GT setup.
Images can be found in this thread - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30066

Best Regards,
TJ

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Do yourself a favor and stick with BMR or Steeda. These guys know this car.
Sponsored