Sponsored

Anyone else get rattle from Steeda billet shock mount?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I installed Steeda billet shock mounts on top of Steeda shocks, and the driver's side developed a big rattle sound after a week. Metal on metal, like some bracket was loose somewhere. And of course, this was coincident with a build that included springs, bars, lockout, etc. I really thought the sound would have been the mount against the car body.

I confirmed this by driving up and down my bumpy street with no shock installed.

I used a vice grip on the shaft to tighten the top nut a little more. Then the rattle was gone. It did not seem like I tightened the nut much more at all.

The billet mount is obviously very butch in design, but the means to tighten the top nut is very challenging - compromised in my opinion. I think they could make a taller hex section of the top nut, so that it is proud enough to use a box end wrench with the smaller box wrench at the shaft's end. Or perhaps grind a pair of flats in the top of the shaft. The design really needs a running ECO.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I installed Steeda billet shock mounts on top of Steeda shocks, and the driver's side developed a big rattle sound after a week. Metal on metal, like some bracket was loose somewhere. And of course, this was coincident with a build that included springs, bars, lockout, etc. I really thought the sound would have been the mount against the car body.

I confirmed this by driving up and down my bumpy street with no shock installed.

I used a vice grip on the shaft to tighten the top nut a little more. Then the rattle was gone. It did not seem like I tightened the nut much more at all.

The billet mount is obviously very butch in design, but the means to tighten the top nut is very challenging - compromised in my opinion. I think they could make a taller hex section of the top nut, so that it is proud enough to use a box end wrench with the smaller box wrench at the shaft's end. Or perhaps grind a pair of flats in the top of the shaft. The design really needs a running ECO.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes. When I did not quite get the top nut tight enough before I experienced clunking/rattling. Ensure that you have an offset 21 mm or 13/16 wrench or 21 mm strut socket to get enough leverage and access to tighten properly.

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
There are tools for shock top nuts. I think the design is fine, but it can be tricky without the right tools.
Untitled.png

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
I had the locking nut work loose on one of my shocks after about 75 miles when I had the Steeda Billet 12mm Shock Mounts installed on my car. A friend of mine made a strut nut socket out of a deep 21mm socket by cutting a window in the side with a cutoff grinder. But you can buy this tool here https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...MI7L-fvJf91QIVh5N-Ch3K8gLnEAQYASABEgIZr_D_BwE. This tool allows you to put a 9mm wrench on the hex at the top of shock shaft so it doesn't turn while you tighten the locking nut otherwise the nut will not fully tighten. Once you tighten the nut using this tool it will not work itself loose again. Steeda doesn't even mention this strut nut tool in the install instructions. A fact that I mention to the Steeda Tech almost a year ago when I discovered this problem with my install of the 12mm Billet Shock Mounts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I had the locking nut work loose on one of my shocks after about 75 miles when I had the Steeda Billet 12mm Shock Mounts installed on my car. A friend of mine made a strut nut socket out of a deep 21mm socket by cutting a window in the side with a cutoff grinder. But you can buy this tool here https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...MI7L-fvJf91QIVh5N-Ch3K8gLnEAQYASABEgIZr_D_BwE. This tool allows you to put a 9mm wrench on the hex at the top of shock shaft so it doesn't turn while you tighten the locking nut otherwise the nut will not fully tighten. Once you tighten the nut using this tool it will not work itself loose again. Steeda doesn't even mention this strut nut tool in the install instructions. A fact that I mention to the Steeda Tech almost a year ago when I discovered this problem with my install of the 12mm Billet Shock Mounts.
Yep that's the one I bought, too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I worried that we used too much blue threadlock on the right side. Within 2 weeks, the left side had loosened. I didn't add more threadlock after diagnosing the problem, so I will probably be back in there again soon. :frusty:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Does this sound kind of sound like someone tapping on the fender wall when going over bumps? I'm still trying to track down some sounds I thought I got rid of but they came back on the RH rear side.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Yes.

We folded the rear seats down, then wifey drove the car on our street, while I lied down backwards with my head in the trunk to truly isolate the sound source. Was right where the mount is located.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
I bought a set of Shwaben's awhile back. It's a good thing to have in your toolbox.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Does this sound kind of sound like someone tapping on the fender wall when going over bumps? I'm still trying to track down some sounds I thought I got rid of but they came back on the RH rear side.
Let me specify that I don't have Steeda shock mounts. I have stock but have similar sounds and have been trying to track them down. :thumbsup:

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just put on the Steeda pro-action non-adjustable with the mounts. At first there was a rattle but then I tightened the nut down more and now there is the tapping/creaking on each side.

Last edited:

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I just put on the Steeda pro-action non-adjustable with the mounts. At first there was a rattle but then I tightened the nut down more at now there is the tapping/creaking on each side.
Hi Ryan, send me your contact info via pm and I will reach out to you in the am to identify the noise. [email protected]

Thanks,

Mike D

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Can anyone throw up a list of "non-standard" tools needed for shocks, springs, etc?
I bought a whole host of stuff from Steeda over Black Friday and will be installing it in the next week or two.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone throw up a list of "non-standard" tools needed for shocks, springs, etc?
I bought a whole host of stuff from Steeda over Black Friday and will be installing it in the next week or two.
21 mm strut socket is the only thing out of the ordinary, outside of spring compressor.
Sponsored