Sponsored

Steeda Camber Plates Install Question

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think it's correct because the fulcrum would be longer which changes the torque. I used to calibrate torque wrenches along with a lot of other equipment in the Army many centuries ago. I just found a formula on line. I think I like this better than the socket still.
You can have the crowfoot at 90 degrees to the handle so the fulcrum is the same.
Even at full expend, it only adds a little distance that will probably fine
Has anyone tried to tighten the nut with the suspension fully loaded on the ground? Would that make it easier?
Sponsored

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Did this install today... total time was about 2.5 hours, taking it easy. It's really a buttermilk install in case anyone is on the fence. Beautiful product.

The only thing you have to keep an eye on is the lower spring perch when you're putting it back together. I also took a rough frame of reference on the strut to hole before disassembly to get it back pretty close for the trip back to the alignment shop. The factory upper spring seat/bearing separates very easily from the top mount. The steeda plates are pretty beefy - adding a little over 1lb per side. That's about the only downside to installing these that I could see.

BTW, [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] the instructions have the torque spec wrong for the big spindle to strut nuts.
DSCN2151.JPG
DSCN2157.JPG
DSCN2158.JPG
DSCN2162.JPG
DSCN2164.JPG
DSCN2169.JPG

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Did this install today... total time was about 2.5 hours, taking it easy. It's really a buttermilk install in case anyone is on the fence. Beautiful product.

The only thing you have to keep an eye on is the lower spring perch when you're putting it back together. I also took a rough frame of reference on the strut to hole before disassembly to get it back pretty close for the trip back to the alignment shop. The factory upper spring seat/bearing separates very easily from the top mount. The steeda plates are pretty beefy - adding a little over 1lb per side. That's about the only downside to installing these that I could see.

BTW, [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] the instructions have the torque spec wrong for the big spindle to strut nuts.
I just installed mine about a week ago and agree. It really wasn't bad and I had never installed struts before. The closest I've come was to remove the entire assembly and take it to a shop and have them disassemble and reassemble them for me and I just installed. I really liked how the camber plates came pre-assembled, then zip tied together in the proper configuration. I used the same spring compressor too that I rented at the local auto parts store for free for up to 5 days. I didn't want to drive it much until I got to the alignment shop. Looking at the alignment, I didn't do too bad. I just kind of centered the strut nut in the top opening and they came out to -2.0 and -2.1 and I wanted -1.7.

I saw that torque on the spindle to strut nuts too and let [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] know.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I will send your feedback to our install/team that handles the instructions for review - thank you for the heads-up!

TJ

THE_AHJ

AuthorityHvngJurisdiction
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
Just installed these this morning, I could not for the life of me get the spring compressed enough (clamshell type) to put the top nut in place on the strut. I ended up loading from the bottom. It went quick but wondering if there's any issues with doing so, FYI it's done and I've driven it about 30 miles already with no issues...just looking for feedback if anyone has done it this way?

Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Anyone experience and clunking with the camber plates?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Anyone experience and clunking with the camber plates?
You would only experience clunking if you installed it wrong. So I guess your question is did anyone mess up on the installation?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Just installed these this morning, I could not for the life of me get the spring compressed enough (clamshell type) to put the top nut in place on the strut. I ended up loading from the bottom. It went quick but wondering if there's any issues with doing so, FYI it's done and I've driven it about 30 miles already with no issues...just looking for feedback if anyone has done it this way?
I can't figure out what you mean, how you assembled it. Can you describe what you did? I can't imagine getting everything lined up properly and assembled without the spring in the way and then easing the spring out with everything aligned. It sounds like you're saying you assembled everything loosely with the spring uncompressed and used the weight of the car to compress it?

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
You would only experience clunking if you installed it wrong. So I guess your question is did anyone mess up on the installation?
Well not exactly as it's been known for spherical bearings to develop some play over time which causes metal to metal clunking noise. I'm just curious what kind of mileage or degree of track usage steeda plates will see noise-free.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Well not exactly as it's been known for spherical bearings to develop some play over time which causes metal to metal clunking noise. I'm just curious what kind of mileage or degree of track usage steeda plates will see noise-free.
Steeda plates are guaranteed to be noise free for life to the original purchaser!

They are used on our #20 S550 which just won Homestead this weekend!
IMG_1771.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

THE_AHJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
I can't figure out what you mean, how you assembled it. Can you describe what you did? I can't imagine getting everything lined up properly and assembled without the spring in the way and then easing the spring out with everything aligned. It sounds like you're saying you assembled everything loosely with the spring uncompressed and used the weight of the car to compress it?
Correct. Spring uncompressed and then compressed with the weight of the car and lined up from below using a jack and jacking it up slowly.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Correct. Spring uncompressed and then compressed with the weight of the car and lined up from below using a jack and jacking it up slowly.
Wow! I can't imagine doing it that way, trying to keep everything aligned but if you managed to do all that and keep it aligned, you should be fine.

THE_AHJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
One word! Patience.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Has anyone reused factory strut tower nuts?
The ones steeda provided are shorter. I prefer the factory nut look.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
A great review & install video from our friends at LMR!

[ame]
Sponsored