Steeda Camber Plates Install Question

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I dont see how a socket would have a different rating then a crowfoot. If an extension had to be used then I understand.
With a crows foot you are affectively changing the length of the torque wrench. The torque wrench is rated from the center of the drive socket to the end of the handle. A crows foot adds length to that and throws off the rating.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hmm. I was planning on using CF wrenches to tighten/torque the nuts. So what would that formula be? I mean, the torque wrench would be offset from the nut centerline by maybe 1" ? If you want to torque the nut to 19 ft/lbs, what would you set the torque wrench to? Less than 19, obviously...but how much less? There's always a gotcha and that's how I developed my OCD.

[ame]

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
@jbailer install was super easy especially if it is going onto Steeda dampers. Hardest part was holding the damper shaft with a wrench to tighten down the retainer nut. The alignment went easy also. Got it close on static camber (with a Longacre digital) before I drove it to Firestone for the toe alignment. Their readings on camber came out the same as mine and they set the toe and checked everything else. I have mine set at -2.2 all the time as I dont DD the car.

It helps to have someone help you as you guide the strut assembly up into place to ensure you dont bang up the threads on the camber plate studs as they pass through the shock tower holes. As far as paint scratched around the nut areas, I didnt pay attention to it because racecar.
I just looked up what a Longacre digital is and I won't have that available. Any recommendation on how to eyeball it or adjust it with layman's tools enough to drive it to the alignment shop?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Looking into it a little further, I see that you can actually connect the crowsfoot to the torque wrench at a 90* angle which doesn't increase the length of the wrench and won't change the torque.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Looking into it a little further, I see that you can actually connect the crowsfoot to the torque wrench at a 90* angle which doesn't increase the length of the wrench and won't change the torque.
Not sure what you mean. Pic? It does make sense that using a CF wrench effectively lengthens the lever (torque wrench handle) you're using to tighten the nut....

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just hold it with a wrench and tighten the crap out of it. Thats what I did, my ancestry is German so its gutentight.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what you mean. Pic? It does make sense that using a CF wrench effectively lengthens the lever (torque wrench handle) you're using to tighten the nut....
I can't draw worth a damned. Here is a video that explains it. [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]tv_KHH55qdQ[/MEDIA]"] I could explain in a little more detail why he gets a very slightly higher reading with the crowsfoot adapter at 90* but it would hurt. Basically at 90* you aren't extending the fulcrum (length of the torque wrench). Because it it has an offset, it increases the force just a little, not enough to worry about for this application. The most accurate way would be to use the crowsfoot parallel with the torque wrench and do the math. For this, I will use it at a 90* angle. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Dont you love how a camber plate question turns into a physics test?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Dont you love how a camber plate question turns into a physics test?
I love most conversations here. At least when people play nice. I always learn. :cheers:

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
It's all relevant conversation, so I think it's great. :cheers: I'm all about becoming better at something and you do that through experience and knowledge-sharing.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Subscribing to this thread. I've got steeda camber plates on the way... to fix the alignment snafu trying to use camber bolts with a shop too lazy to monkey with. Anyway, is there a good writeup or video on here someplace? The steeda video doesn't help much. The FRPP struts are pretty awesome - the bearing is much nicer than the factory PP struts. How much of that is thrown away? Just trying to wrap my mind around how it goes together. An exploded diagram of the before vs after would be ideal. :cheers:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Best is to contact SteedaTech directly. He'll walk you through it. Really not hard. Instructions are included. You do not use the top part of the FRPP strut (the part with the three bolts that stick up through the strut tower). That is replaced by the camber plates.
Sponsored