Sponsored

Steeda Camber Plates Install Question

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I just pulled the trigger on a boatload of Steeda goodies for my '17 GT non-PP. :) I've been reading the installation instructions on all the parts to familiarize myself with the install.

I have a question concerning the installation of the caster plates.

Step 13 of the instructions https://www.steeda.com/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=306 says the following:

Install Steeda camber plate onto the strut making sure that the spring seats fully onto the stock seat and that the Steeda logo on the strut mount is orientated so that when installed, it will face the outside of the vehicle.
But there's no picture of the plates installed on the struts to show exactly what "face the outside of the vehicle" means. My Google-Fu must be weak b/c I can't find any vids or pics showing an example of this either. Steeda's install video for these plates doesn't show them installed on the vehicle.

Do the instructions mean that the Steeda logo should be closest to the outside edge of the fender? Do they mean the Steeda logo is closest to the engine "facing" the outside of the vehicle? See my confusion? :headbonk:

Would appreciate some guidance. Pic would be awesome. Thanks!
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you do the install yourself, you'll see that they can only really go one way. Steeda logo goes toward the outside of the car.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, [MENTION=9562]TNcoupe[/MENTION]. I will be doing the install myself. I'm not the type to figure things out as I go: I try to have as much planned out in advance as possible. If and when Mr. Murphy shows up, I deal with it, but easy stuff like this I kick myself if I don't take care of it in advance. :)

Thanks again.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Once you see it, you cant mess it up :)... I think

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Let us know how the camber plates are. I hear a lot of people getting annoyed by the clunking of the spherical top mount bearings of most camber plates.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Let us know how the camber plates are. I hear a lot of people getting annoyed by the clunking of the spherical top mount bearings of most camber plates.
Steeda uses a special Spherical bearing which does not cause suspension knock back. We have been using this technology for over 25 years. Therefore,all Steeda camber plates are guaranteed for life to the original purchaser.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Thanks, [MENTION=9562]TNcoupe[/MENTION]. I will be doing the install myself. I'm not the type to figure things out as I go: I try to have as much planned out in advance as possible. If and when Mr. Murphy shows up, I deal with it, but easy stuff like this I kick myself if I don't take care of it in advance. :)

Thanks again.
Haha! That's just like me! I want to be sure I know as much about what's going to happen before it does. It seems it always takes me 2 or 3 times longer than any time estimate, I go slow and methodical. When Murphy does rear his ugly head (and he does, no matter how much I plan), it's a big set back in time as I try to figure it out and sometimes have to stop and research even more.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Steeda uses a special Spherical bearing which does not cause suspension knock back. We have been using this technology for over 25 years. Therefore,all Steeda camber plates are guaranteed for life to the original purchaser.
It's that approach to engineering that makes me a huge Steeda fan! I know when I buy parts from Steeda they were engineered with this thinking and all of my parts work together as a system.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Special spherical bearing? You dont have to go into extreme detail and divulge your secrets but what makes this spherical bearing different than others? The teflon lining?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have Steeda plates, no clunking because of them.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP,

From an install perspective - this will help assist as well:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]WQRkYnvaWB4[/MEDIA]"]

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thank you, everyone. As I've never used camber plates before, I've nothing to compare the Steeda's to. But am I critical of NVH, especially in a daily driver. If the balance of a tire is off even a hair, I can feel it in my hands, feet and butt in the seat. So I'll be very sensitive to any pulling, clunking, ticking, thunking, whoomping or squeaking. :paddle:

What I need to do now is find a recommended alignment shop in the San Antonio or Austin area. Not taking it to the dealer for obvious reasons, but mostly b/c alignments is part of what they do, not most of what they do.

Also need to get Steeda's recommended numbers for alignment, both front and rear, with the Progressive Sport Springs and Pro-action non-adj shocks.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You can PM [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] for alignment recommendations for your application.

My street preference is -1.7*F camber with 1/16 toe per side; -1.5*R camber with 1/16 toe per side. Track I do -2.4*F with 1/16 toe per side and -1.8*R with 0 toe. Seems to work for me but I am biased towards always having some kind of negative camber. I think on the street most anyone would be happy with much less than even my own recommendation assuming you have stock wheels and tires. These cars don't seem to need much toe to have a "straight on" feel on the highway so I keep it relatively minimal to reduce tire wear given my usual camber.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=29008]mikes2017gt[/MENTION] please share your experience after you get them installed. I'm ordering a set today and would love to hear if you run into any glitches and hear your impressions.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@wildcatgoal : Thanks very much for sharing your settings. As this is my DD I will continue running street tires on it, and as I already have 20's, don't plan on replacing them with anything smaller or larger.

@jbailer : Will do. :) It may be a couple of weeks until I have my initial impressions, but I'm shooting for the install next weekend. I'm planning for the car being down the entire weekend, then getting it aligned on Monday. The main reason I bought all the Steeda parts at once (and it hurt, believe me) is that to install most of those parts, you also have to remove other parts...that I will be replacing anyway. Camber plates is a perfect example. To install them you have to remove the struts, which I'm removing anyway b/c I'm replacing them. Two birds with one stone approach, which OCD guys like us are used to doing anyway. :lol:
Sponsored