Sponsored

Count Down to Detroit Auto Show 2017!!

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I do agree with most of what you say. How would you feel about them going to AWD? It'd be Progressive like no longer using a V8. Hybrid is exactly why I think the V8 can survive. They'll be able to make hybrids that get 15 to 20 miles or so of pure electric and then use the gas engine which will also help offset EPA regulations. There's also always a demand for people that want a V8 and that will never change. I think if they prematurely drop the V8 they could lose a lot of their faithful (fanboys as many call them) and would have to become much more reliant on getting new customers.
I will preface any discussion on the AWD by saying that my information on AWD is based purely on my opinion and not based off any other insights like the powertrain.

My opinion on a true performance AWD system (like focus or STI etc) is that the biggest obstacle for the mustang is price and weight. It would add a significant cost to the car which would need to be offset somewhere else. If you look at subaru all of their cars have a great AWD system but if you have looked at the interior and trim on the car they would fall below the standard of competitive vehicles this is done to allow them to meet the price point that they need to be at. This would be the same issue that the mustang would have.

If Ford did decide to do a performance AWD system my guess is that it would be on a special edition car where less price sensitivity exists and where added weight could be offset with increased power output. From there they would gauge reaction and make any decisions about expansion to other models.

Again this is just my own opinion no facts here.
Sponsored

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
How many shows have to come and go and so called deadlines pass before everyone realizes that no gt500 is coming.

bmckernan2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 mustang
How many shows have to come and go and so called deadlines pass before everyone realizes that no gt500 is coming.
It is coming i have that actually confirmed with my dealer from his knowledge coming directly from ford the way they will be allocating is there a dealer lottery however no dates are confirmed but the car is infact coming and allocations are set to be in September to October time

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It is coming i have that actually confirmed with my dealer from his knowledge coming directly from ford the way they will be allocating is there a dealer lottery however no dates are confirmed but the car is infact coming and allocations are set to be in September to October time
Dealers know next to nothing, they'll say nearly anything to get a sale or get someone on the hook.

No one outside of Ford Motor Company and maybe a few suppliers know anything about a "GT500", and they won't talk due to strict NDA's.

Remember when dealers were swearing there wouldn't be a GT350, that it was going to be a new Boss 302 or Cobra? How'd that work out?

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Well I'm waiting for the next GT500. The 350 was a bit weak for what I want.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Some fellas in the know have already stated that it's coming, could be called a Cobra. But it's coming for 2019 my

Batmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X
almost unbelievable that it should come directly from Shelby
IMG_1816.JPG

intoadaze

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ivann
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 5.0

Sponsored

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
It's probably just SA dressing up a 2018 Mustang GT and adding $40K to the price....
If there is a real GT500 it will come from Ford/SVT and probably carry a much lower price tag.

Reactions: HCT

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Its easy to make comments without referencing anything specific and just say "no I'm talking about what you have said in other posts", your previous posts says a lot without saying anything at all. Can you show me once where either Voodooo or myself said that Ford was walking away from the V8? I believe, actually let me rephrase, i know that Ford will keep the v8 as long as it remains 1. commercially acceptable 2. able to achieve future CAFE standards with it still in play

CAFE standards aren't complicated the only thing complicating them is the adjustments to the calculation that have been made over the past 5-10 years to address things like the UAW and domestically produced vehicles, the advent of "zero emissions" plug in cars etc. I think everyone (or most) understand that they are based on fleet, although separation does exist between passenger and light truck.

The point that you and many others seem to miss is that decisions related to drivetrain are not solely driven by CAFE standards, they are driven by public demand. The reason you have such a hard time with it is because to you a mustang means a thundering v8 so how is it possible that anyone would want anything less than that. Well in fact they do, and the population that does is getting larger and larger. That particular buyer associates ecoboost and soon to be hybrids not only with fuel economy but also with performance (ala GT, P1, 918 etc). Now many here have argued that ecoboost doesn't even really deliver better fuel economy, that they are still close to their bigger v8 or v6 brothers and if the money had been spent on the bigger engines they could have met the fuel efficiency requirements. Then people argue that hybrid cars are actually worse for the environment based on the environmental cost to manufacture blah blah blah. Maybe all of this is true but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. All that matters is consumer perception. And perception is that smaller engines are more fuel efficient, and hybrids are better for the environment. Hell even some people on this forum can't wrap their minds around the fact that a hybrid powertrain doesn't mean a car has to be like a prius.

Ford in my opinion is being very progressive within this space and so far it has been successful. Their decision to hybridize the mustang isn't about achieving CAFE standards so please stop beating that drum, Ford is using two flagship cars (F150 and Mustang) because they believe that the demand for hybrid vehicles is going to continue to grow. This is based on millions of dollars of consumer insights, not based off of reading posts off of mustang forums.

You can respond if you like but i'm done on this topic. You are obviously locked in on one answer because its the only one you understand and you aren't able to wrap your mind around how big business balance decisions between sustainability and consumer demand.
I will respond....because I looked back through the whole thread and you are correct. I didn't find what I thought you both had said previously. I've read so many posts of those wanting to dismiss the V8 that I flew off the handle and blamed you both for something you didn't say. My apologies.
I have gone back and edited my previous posts to express my "newly found reality". Lol

However, I disagree with your statement that I miss the point that these decisions are made by public demand. I understand this wholeheartedly. It's also why I so vehemently came at you and Voodoo for your "heretic"(lol) statements about being "ok with an Ecoboost V6 in the halo Mustang." I feel that this statement coupled with the comment, "the V8's days are numbered" result from false advertising and marketing efforts by Ford and others, to promote Ecoboost as "the environmental savior". When in reality, it's current iterations are far from the fuel efficiency claims they boast about.
Like you've said though, that perception is becoming the public's reality. I guess I'm fighting against the inevitable and it's a losing battle.