Sponsored

Can We Talk About the V6?

soon2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon ecoboostPP
Sounds like the revised intake is doing wonders for the V6. I'm gonna have to find a 14 V6 to drive to see the difference for myself.

Rofl $19,000? These ridiculous prices always include some scenario like being a veteran while being a recent college graduate while also having someone in your household leasing a competitor's brand, etc.
Your 100% correct. If fact, thats what is says on the dealer site. However, i do havw a 750 brochure discount. Makes the v6 option very tempting. Ive been thinking it over the past few days......

What revised intake?? Can you explain a litte further please. Thanks!
Sponsored

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I haven't read this whole post, but I could not order this car with anything but a v8. It's not a macho thing, manly thing or anything like that. I only think of the mustang as a car I'm going to mod to go faster. I've been doing it since the 90's and I couldn't/wouldn't buy a v6 or Ecoboost in a mustang. Nothing against those who do, I just want more out of the car. Even with the v8 I'm wanting a supercharger or gt500 to fix the speed bug.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Your 100% correct. If fact, thats what is says on the dealer site. However, i do havw a 750 brochure discount. Makes the v6 option very tempting. Ive been thinking it over the past few days......

For 2015 Ford redesigned the upper intake manifold on the V6. They said it was to allow the intake to clear the new lower hood. Because of this redesign though it seems like the 6 gained more on low end power. This lead people to believe that the upper intake manifold was the reason for the 5hp drop in power up top. I believe that the new intake is actually much more efficient the the previous and that our V6 is capable of higher hp with just some simple mods to reduce restrictions like CAI and exhaust.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp

may be only a 500 offer on some 15 V6, otherwise options for free

OP
OP
Jamo

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
Just a few follow up points. To me, having the V8 isn't about going "faster." If I want to go faster, in any car, I push my right foot down and I go faster. If anything, the V8 is about going faster faster, quicker.

You can only go faster until you run into the car in front of you or you reach the speed limit or the Po stops you, which will happen faster. If you go faster after that, you won't be going faster longer or you'll be going faster into the calaboose.

But that isn't really it either. TO me, the V8 is more about realizing the potential of the car and what it was designed for. And it's also about the perception of freedom and of trying to reclaim or remember some of the freedom that seems to be mysteriously disappearing faster around here. Mustang was designed as a muscle/pony car. Mustang may be nearly the best muscle/pony car available per $ these days, but I don't think it is the best modern coupe per $ necessarily.

Which brings up the further question, to me anyway, which is preferable from a $ standpoint, if one finds the new V8 too doshy, the new 'stang w/V6 or last gen 'stang w/V8? Both are around $24K.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Remember, kids, that A LOT of the first-gen Mustangs came with inline sixes. ;)

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Remember, kids, that A LOT of the first-gen Mustangs came with inline sixes. ;)

And a lot of the V8 65/66's you see running around now are actually T code 6 bangers that have had a V8 drive train (hopefully the full drivetrain) swapped in.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
And a lot of the V8 65/66's you see running around now are actually T code 6 bangers that have had a V8 drive train (hopefully the full drivetrain) swapped in.
And the suspension/spindles. :)

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Just a few follow up points. To me, having the V8 isn't about going "faster." If I want to go faster, in any car, I push my right foot down and I go faster. If anything, the V8 is about going faster faster, quicker.

You can only go faster until you run into the car in front of you or you reach the speed limit or the Po stops you, which will happen faster. If you go faster after that, you won't be going faster longer or you'll be going faster into the calaboose.

But that isn't really it either. TO me, the V8 is more about realizing the potential of the car and what it was designed for. And it's also about the perception of freedom and of trying to reclaim or remember some of the freedom that seems to be mysteriously disappearing faster around here. Mustang was designed as a muscle/pony car. Mustang may be nearly the best muscle/pony car available per $ these days, but I don't think it is the best modern coupe per $ necessarily.

Which brings up the further question, to me anyway, which is preferable from a $ standpoint, if one finds the new V8 too doshy, the new 'stang w/V6 or last gen 'stang w/V8? Both are around $24K.
Pretty sure a stock EB is a lot faster than a 1997 cobra coupe. If it was fast enough for ppl who wanted the fastest then, then it is certainly fast enough for those who dont need the fastest now

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Pretty sure a stock EB is a lot faster than a 1997 cobra coupe. If it was fast enough for ppl who wanted the fastest then, then it is certainly fast enough for those who dont need the fastest now
And for that matter, if you spent the price difference between the GT and the base v6 on a supercharger, the v6 will probably be quite a bit faster.

For me it's all about application. If you have the money for a v8 (and the associated additional costs), that's one thing, but even still that doesn't make it necessarily the most fun car to drive given the weight. I bet you a used 911 bought at the same $40k of a GT premium would probably be much faster around a track without nearly as much power.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd get a Focus ST over v6 Mustang. It's not only a better daily, but has a better power to weight ratio and frankly most people think it's more fun to drive.
At the time when I bought my V6 Mustang the ST was slower and about $2,000 higher in price. Easy decision for me. Plus I think the ST is an uncomfortable car with the seating position too upright. It's also not as good looking.

I would have preferred to have a front wheel drive car or AWD for winter, but the extra money and the car being slower just weren't worth it to me. Now I'm used to driving in the winter with RWD and it's fine. I would consider going to AWD but not if I had to sacrifice something else. FWD is no longer a consideration for me. Handling just isn't good enough.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I'm frankly surprised about the price, the 2014s are cheap because the 15 gets a refresh, and the RS will be unveiled on Feb 3rd as well.

As for the seating, I guess not everyone likes the recaros, but at least in the ST3 you can definitely lower the seating position and recline as much as necessary.

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
I'm very happy with my decision to get a V6 with a 3.55 axle. I also wondered in the back of my mind if I would experience buyers remorse whenever I saw a GT, but it hasn't happened. As a matter of fact, one of the vanity plates I am considering is "NOGTNV"! And I am happy to report that driving a V6 has caused no shrinkage whatsoever...

I kept an open mind about the EB, but it wasn't for me. It was quicker, yes. However, I have always disliked the sound of a four-banger, and the EB didn't do anything to change my mind. I'm sure it's a fine engine, but like many others, I am also wary of the as-yet-unknown long-term reliability.

I bought the V6 with the understanding that it would be a blank canvas. A "Premium" option would have been great, but I plan on "rolling my own". I can get aftermarket heated leather in the color combo of my choice (and from what I understand, it's better quality than OEM), I can pick out any 19" wheels that I want, and I'm sure that it will be just a matter of time before some excellent audio components hit the market that will blow away the Premium Shaker system.

Exhaust upgrades are not on my list. While nothing will match the sweet roar of a GT, the V6 has a pretty nice growl all it's own; I am happy to leave that part as it is.

I am still surprised that I could get this much fun and performance for so little money! A well-made 300 HP convertible for the price of a Camry??? C'mon!! Incredible value, IMO. This is one sweet engine, and it will be a damn shame if Ford kills it. I understand why they might do what they need to do, but it will make it no less unfortunate.

Would a GT have been more fun to drive? Absolutely. But I already grin from ear to ear when I drive my V6, AND I will have saved a ton of money (even after upgrades)...so what more could I ask for? No regrets whatsoever!

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Would a GT have been more fun to drive? Absolutely. But I already grin from ear to ear when I drive my V6, AND I will have saved a ton of money (even after upgrades)...so what more could I ask for? No regrets whatsoever!

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car