Sponsored

Can We Talk About the V6?

Anvil3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT DIB
You won't notice a difference running 87 vs 93 in the GT. It's a 1% HP hit.

The EB on the other hand will take a big hit..something like 13% hp loss.
True, but you won't notice a difference where you drive it most, which is low-mid range. If it's a daily driver, use 87 for the commute. Save the higher octane stuff for the weekend if you can make it work.
Sponsored

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
I drove a 2005 v6 for 9 years. It was my first car and I loved it but I outgrew it after a couple years.

Honestly, considered the 4 cylinder but wasn't sure how reliable it would prove to be in the long run.

It's probably the best DD option and the most economical but I know that if I bought a v6 or an eco and saw a gt drive by on the road I would always be jealous and think about what if...

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
It's a surprisingly fun car for a daily driver. I have one for a rental this week (with a manual!!) and the 051A package. That gets you the nice 18" wheels, power driver's seat and the fog lamps.

Even with the 3.15 axle ratio it's quick around town, and I am getting about 30 mpg in a 20/80 city/highway drive.
Wow, you could rent a manual car! and a mustang! Which rental company?

I am also interested in manual V6. If I can rent a manual V6 in my neck of the woods, that will be great!

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
What's interesting is the 3.5TT shares the same architecture as the 3.7 Cyclone, and some have wondered how involved a swap would be. I've had my '13 V6 for a little over 2 years, and it's a strong runner with the few bolt ons I have. I finally test drove a '15 V6, and was surprised how torquey it felt, even with the auto/3.15 gears. It also didn't hesitate to rev to 6500, unlike the EB I drove, which fell flat at 5K. I'm seriously thinking it's time for another V6, but with auto, 51A, and 3.55's. A few light mods and it would be a fun, comfortable driver....well, until I get the bug to boost it..lol. We have a few Cyclones here in FL that are not to be taken lightly...450+ rwhp and 120+ trap speeds. These little engines continue to impress me, and I've had a LOT of V8 Mustangs over the years.

I thought about going EB, but just not sure about the annoying issues that arise when tuning the 2.3. Plus, if you reach the limits of the DI pump, it's going to be $$$ to upgrade. It has a lot of potential, but it's a new/untested engine in the S550 platform, so I'm very hesitant. I have to say, however, the 50th Appearance Pack on a DIB, TYCC, or white car is gorgeous, and almost worth the price to step into an EB.

Sponsored

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
I might catch some cap for saying this, but I'm not the first. A lot of articles are saying Ford only kept the V6 for rental car companies. I think the EB base is a good option as well
True. I would be happy with the V6 engine, but I want the performance package and premium trim. :(

Hell, I'd be happy with a 3.31 torsen in the GT-PP.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
The only thing about the "base" interior I don't like is the color. A lighter color than black always provides an appealing contrast to the dash.

The V6 must be a lot lighter than a GT, isn't it? Thats a plus. There's the two cylinders and then the brakes.
You are not stuck with the base interior.... Katzkin and Leatherseats.com have FULL leather interior covers that you can customize with whatever color you like. It is not expensive ($800-$1000 for full leather seats front and back) and can be installed by yourself or an "authorized installer".

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
The v6 is one fun drive. I roll in it on a daily basis. For the price you get one hell of an engine that sounds pretty damn good. Obviously, if you're coming from a bigger engine it'll be a slight downer. But knowing what it is, it's a blast. Personally, I wouldn't touch the EB simply because it hasn't been around long enough to know what it can do in the long run. I like to keep my cars +7 years/ +100,000 miles.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
What's interesting is the 3.5TT shares the same architecture as the 3.7 Cyclone, and some have wondered how involved a swap would be. I've had my '13 V6 for a little over 2 years, and it's a strong runner with the few bolt ons I have. I finally test drove a '15 V6, and was surprised how torquey it felt, even with the auto/3.15 gears. It also didn't hesitate to rev to 6500, unlike the EB I drove, which fell flat at 5K. I'm seriously thinking it's time for another V6, but with auto, 51A, and 3.55's. A few light mods and it would be a fun, comfortable driver....well, until I get the bug to boost it..lol. We have a few Cyclones here in FL that are not to be taken lightly...450+ rwhp and 120+ trap speeds. These little engines continue to impress me, and I've had a LOT of V8 Mustangs over the years.

I thought about going EB, but just not sure about the annoying issues that arise when tuning the 2.3. Plus, if you reach the limits of the DI pump, it's going to be $$$ to upgrade. It has a lot of potential, but it's a new/untested engine in the S550 platform, so I'm very hesitant. I have to say, however, the 50th Appearance Pack on a DIB, TYCC, or white car is gorgeous, and almost worth the price to step into an EB.
Lots of people are saying the 2015 V6 feels more torquey than the '11-'14. Is that just going from the 2.73 to 3.15 gears or what?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Lots of people are saying the 2015 V6 feels more torquey than the '11-'14. Is that just going from the 2.73 to 3.15 gears or what?
I drove a performance pack 2014 days before I bought my 15. I can say for a fact that the 15 with 3.15s feels worlds better in low end torque then the 14 with the 3.31s. I think this is actually due to changes in the factory tune and the new intake manifold.

Last edited:

Sponsored

trublie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT500, 2015 Ruby Red Mustang V-6
The v6 is one fun drive. I roll in it on a daily basis. For the price you get one hell of an engine that sounds pretty damn good. Obviously, if you're coming from a bigger engine it'll be a slight downer. But knowing what it is, it's a blast. Personally, I wouldn't touch the EB simply because it hasn't been around long enough to know what it can do in the long run. I like to keep my cars +7 years/ +100,000 miles.
I have an '07 GT500 and revel in the shear power and responsiveness not to mention the growl. But, I also bought a 2015 Mustang V6 Automatic transmission with the Foundry 18 inch wheel package. I wanted first a sporty, fun-car and second a comfortable daily driver. I can tell you from first hand experience, the 2015 V6 is no disappointment. It is quick off the mark and really grabs asphalt in the corners. It is smooth on the highway and comfortably quiet. You get the same body, chassis and suspension as the EB and GT for an incredibly low price. BTW the brakes are actually better than on my GT500 or a 2000 Porsche 996. I am very happy with the two-tone cloth interior with white accent stitching. The only thing I plan on adding is a Sirius Satellite radio when the kit becomes available from Ford.
I too plan to keep this car, probably for as long as she keeps running.

Last edited:

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
I have 3.73's in my '13, and the '15 felt on par with it in the low/mid rpms, which was the surprising part. I think the intake revision, along with the MAP vs MAF is a definite plus. That's why I'm really curious what a 3.55 geared car would feel like with the auto trans. I bet with mufflers, cai, BBK shortie headers, and maybe a 73mm t/b, the '15 would be on par with my '13 or a little quicker. I've been 13.3 @ 106, so that's saying something.

soon2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon ecoboostPP
Funny people are having this conversation...

A few days ago I posted a link to a few v6 manuals going for as low as $19,000 (Maryland area). For what it is and simple mods like lighter wheels, pilot sport tires, lighter exhuast, and suspension tunning, you could have a fantastic handling canyon carver (one that has that "raw sports car" feeling). However, i have never driven one and im not very sure of its handling/feeling characteristics.

I did drive both base ecoboost and v8- both drove great and with quality. Both could easily be tuned to feel raw.

Could some of the v6 guys chime in on this? About the potential feeling and characteristics?

Cheers!

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Sounds like the revised intake is doing wonders for the V6. I'm gonna have to find a 14 V6 to drive to see the difference for myself.

A few days ago I posted a link to a few v6 manuals going for as low as $19,000 (Maryland area).
Rofl $19,000? These ridiculous prices always include some scenario like being a veteran while being a recent college graduate while also having someone in your household leasing a competitor's brand, etc.

MSamuels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Mustang
Yeah. You could get 21.3 pretty easily with XPlan and then rebates, but 19 seems a little low. By the end of the model year itd be a lot easier to get sub 20s.
Sponsored