Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
2016 PP car with, original, good pads. Plenty of meat left.

But the squeal is really bad now, and I'm tired of it. I do almost 100% stop and go driving, and I think that plays a part. The squeal seems to go away a bit after a wash, when I hose down the brakes. But after a bit of driving, it comes back.

What causes it? Lots of brake dust?

Should I grab a can of brake cleaner and try that?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They'll squeal when they're cold. Nothing you can do besides change compound or stop a lot harder.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
They'll squeal when they're cold. Nothing you can do besides change compound or stop a lot harder.
They're squealing all the time.

And it's not that cold here in Texas.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I just found a do-it-yourself garage close to me, and I'll go remove the pads, clean everything, and apply more anti-squeal.....stuff.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They're squealing all the time.

And it's not that cold here in Texas.
Not the cold weather, cold pads. Performance pads squeal unless they're at operating temp. It'll come back unless you change pads, I assure you. If you don't track the car, change to something like the Powerstop Z23 or G-LOC GS-1.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Not the cold weather, cold pads. Performance pads squeal unless they're at operating temp. It'll come back unless you change pads, I assure you. If you don't track the car, change to something like the Powerstop Z23 or G-LOC GS-1.
I do like the OEM pads, I like their feel and the initial bite.

How do I buy OEM pads at the best price? Dealerships are way over-priced.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do like the OEM pads, I like their feel and the initial bite.

How do I buy OEM pads at the best price? Dealerships are way over-priced.
If you buy the OEM PP pads you'll end up with the same issue. You could try to clean the rotor (steel wool and sandpaper, brake clean isn't enough) and re-bed them. If you do some more spirited driving and heavy braking it'll keep it more at bay. It's possible they're a little glazed over. There are pads out there that have similar bite and feel but with a lower operating temp. Thus, they'll sacrifice track capability but for better street manners.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
The OEM pads are expensive in general, even without the dealer markup. I've noticed that they are quiet for 10-15k and then they wont shut up until they get hot.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Pull the pads and post pictures of the contact surface and rotors. We can tell you if they're glazed.

If they're glazed a bit from hard driving/braking, some 80 grit sandpaper to the pads may quiet them down. If thats not the issue then some anti-squeel grease to the pad backing plates may help. I had some rear GS-1 pads that glazed and omg so much squeaking. Some sandpaper to the pads fixed those up great.

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
You could also try just re-bedding them without even taking them off. Although I haven't had any noise on my 15 PP, I did get squealing a couple times on my 05 with Hawk street pads that had plenty of life left. I just bed them in again and it helped a lot. It's at least worth a quick try before pulling it all apart.

5PointSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
I found if you do a hard stop from 30-40 MPH to warm the brakes up and remove a small layer of brake pad, they don't squeal afterwards

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Squeal is almost always the back of the pad surface against the caliper. I always had terrible trouble with my Audi. I have had great luck with using a thin layer of antisieze on the back of the pads. But for my Audi the red CRC sticky brake squeal spray worked the longest on my Audi. That should eliminate all noise.
Sponsored