Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
UPDATE 8/30:

No photos (arhhhh!!!!!) but this guy claims a buddy saw a black n white vinyl prototype on the road!

"a buddy of mine said he spotted a b&w vinyl camo mule today.... we both live in the dearborn area. I grilled him pretty good about it and he verified that it indeed looked different but it did look like a mustang. I showed im the camo front fascia and he said it looked like that"

Don't get too excited :p

And thanks to Topnotch who posted these on TMS :)

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013/08/spy-shots-50th-anniversary-mustang-edges-closer/

Sponsored

Maestro5.0

Thanks TT. As expected, back to the full camo suit.

It will be interesting to see how Ford plays this now. I'm thinking the front was always going to be saved for last so business as usual. Let's get a slow tease of the roof and rear. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Lets face it, there's not much testing time left before it's revealed. If that's Detroit, then we're only talking 5 months. If that's New York, then 8 months. Sooner or later Ford will have to test sans bulky duvet camo and go with the cow camo (although if the prototype that revealed its front end is anything to go by, we might have to call it bar code camo!). My guess it they would have like to have held out for another couple of months at least.........but I don't think the semi-reveal will alter their testing plans.

That being said, I'm as anxious as the rest of you to see more :)

shelby1k

That would be the usual process but considering how secretive they have been they may change it up :shrug:

After all the real testing is done on the tracks and in severe weather/elevation away from prying eyes and public roads, is there really anything stopping them from putting all the dressing back on? I don't know the answer but let's hope Ford is anxious to tease it and just waiting for the 2014 MY to wind down some more.

crazyfastfreddy

Tell me these guys got hungry and went to the BK drivethru lol. Need to ask those employees if they got a look at the interior :D

Sponsored

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Folks, these are mules, not Captured Test Fleet cars. I doubt any of the have a production intent interior in them. Most likely, the interiors are bare minimum and an amalgam of various Ford vehicles/Mustangs past and present.

crazyfastfreddy

hey i'll take even a good look at a steering wheel or the shifter. even if it doesn't make production we might be able to see what direction they are going for.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
If the shifter was from the S197 and the steering wheel was from a Focus, how would that tell you anything regarding the direction they were taking?

crazyfastfreddy

Direction = if there were paddle shifters for ex. just an example. or to see layout of the instruments. why are we even talking about this anyway? something is better than nothing. keeps me entertained at least

KZStang

Lets face it, there's not much testing time left before it's revealed. If that's Detroit, then we're only talking 5 months. If that's New York, then 8 months. Sooner or later Ford will have to test sans bulky duvet camo and go with the cow camo (although if the prototype that revealed its front end is anything to go by, we might have to call it bar code camo!). My guess it they would have like to have held out for another couple of months at least.........but I don't think the semi-reveal will alter their testing plans.

That being said, I'm as anxious as the rest of you to see more :)
Exactly. Maybe even less than 5 months since testing will have to be nearly finished (save for some fine tuning and "dialing in") by the time tooling trial begins which I have heard may be some time in January 2014.

Sponsored

K.Lysius

Folks, these are mules, not Captured Test Fleet cars. I doubt any of the have a production intent interior in them. Most likely, the interiors are bare minimum and an amalgam of various Ford vehicles/Mustangs past and present.
What is a capture test fleet car?

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
What is a capture test fleet car?
Those are production-intent cars that are provided to various employees of the manufacturer to daily drive for an extended period of time to "capture" data on areas that might need to be addressed before a car before it goes into production. This gives the manufacturer an opportunity to correct unexpected items prior to customers taking delivery.

Icy

These are mules? I thought a mule was a donor S197 body/interior on a S550 chassis.

BTW Dunne gets some crap photos these days. This could be a young man's game.

Diggitydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GHIG GT Vert
Exactly. Maybe even less than 5 months since testing will have to be nearly finished (save for some fine tuning and "dialing in") by the time tooling trial begins which I have heard may be some time in January 2014.
If tooling were to begin Jan 2014 what is reasonable to project for production?

I'm really hoping for the April 2014 release to dealers. I don't want to wait until late summer 2014.

2015 GT Convertible.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Those shots are prototypes. They'll typically have all the items in them, but they may not be finished with the production final color/texture they choose. Lighting can be crude (see pre-production Camaro for an example) but enough to pass DOT regulations to drive on the road.

I think we'll see a lot of this, and if anything comes off, we might get a glimpse of the roof, doors, and some rear detail. Even after the final reveal, they'll run the camo cars on the road for testing. Happens all the time.
Sponsored