2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com 50 - Livernois - 1
2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com
Homepage Wiki MOTM Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Ford Bronco Forum Calendar Garage

Go Back   2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com > Technical Subforums > Suspension, Brakes & Chassis

Suspension, Brakes & Chassis Everything related to S550 Mustang suspension, brakes and chassis.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
EFI

Drives: 5.Br0
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Basic coilovers vs. high end shocks/struts

During this winter I plan on upgrading the suspension setup on my car, and would like to get some ideas on what would work best for both street and track use.

Car is a daily driver and summer weekend track car (usually hit about 10-15 events a year), so not quite a dedicated setup by any means. While I would love to drop 4k on some high end dual/triple adjustable coilovers, that's a bit much right now.

So looking in the 1000-1500 range, which gets me either some nice high end shock/strut/spring combo (Koni, Billstein etc.) or some basic single adjustable coilovers (ISC, Pedders etc.)

Looking at purely performance on the track, what would be the better choice between those two options? I'm leaning towards the Billsteins with some Swift springs just for the fact that it's still a street car, but if even a set of lowly coilovers will outperform those on the track then I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the street manners for all out cornering.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
BmacIL
Enginerd

Drives: 2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I'd take a great shock and spring combo over a cheap(er) coilover everytime. Bilsteins + BMR Handling springs (the new ones) would be awesome. That plus the rear LCA bearings and you'd have one helluva setup.
Livernois Flex Fuel Tune | Corsa Sport Catback | Mishimoto Induction Tube | MGW Race Spec | GT350R/BMR Handling Springs | Ford Racing Track Dampers | 19x9.5 SVE Drift Flat Black | BMR Cradle Lockout | BMR Vertical Links | PP Chassis Bracing | PP Rear Sway Bar | BG Syncroshift II | Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air |

https://www.velossatechdesign.com
BmacIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
SteedaTech

Drives: 2016 Mustang Q750
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Attachment 149916
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI View Post
During this winter I plan on upgrading the suspension setup on my car, and would like to get some ideas on what would work best for both street and track use.

Car is a daily driver and summer weekend track car (usually hit about 10-15 events a year), so not quite a dedicated setup by any means. While I would love to drop 4k on some high end dual/triple adjustable coilovers, that's a bit much right now.

So looking in the 1000-1500 range, which gets me either some nice high end shock/strut/spring combo (Koni, Billstein etc.) or some basic single adjustable coilovers (ISC, Pedders etc.)

Looking at purely performance on the track, what would be the better choice between those two options? I'm leaning towards the Billsteins with some Swift springs just for the fact that it's still a street car, but if even a set of lowly coilovers will outperform those on the track then I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the street manners for all out cornering.
Here is another option, our Steeda Dual Rate springs and Pro-action adjustable shocks & struts very popular among the HPDE enthusiast!
Furthermore, the ride quality is excellent for a on track set up!
Also, comes with a lifetime warranty
If you have any questions please reach out to miked@steeda.com[/email]

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-M...15-17-555-2409
Attached Images

Need advice on your upgrades? Connect with a Performance Expert for product knowledge, advice and special pricing: 1-800-950-0774 or sales@steeda.com

SteedaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 12-13-2017, 02:55 AM   #4
Nuked

Drives: 2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmacIL View Post
I'd take a great shock and spring combo over a cheap(er) coilover everytime. Bilsteins + BMR Handling springs (the new ones) would be awesome. That plus the rear LCA bearings and you'd have one helluva setup.
I'll second this. You get what you pay for with coilovers more times than not. Higher end shock/strut and spring combo > budget coilovers.

Lund FF tune / SVE350 wheels / BMR SP080 / BMR CB005 / JLT CAI / Corsa Extreme / BMR CB006 / Steeda Shock Mounts
Nuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #5
GT 550

Drives: Black GT MT S550
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Third it.

A coilover is pretty much just a different means of doing the same thing. It doesn't inherently make a better suspension. There are some advantages to a coilover; if it's a threaded body (not all are) you can adj ride height easily instead of changing springs, if it's dual threaded you can change ride height without affecting travel, and if you want to change valving and spring changes at the same time you're only dropping one unit to do both.

I'll take good valving in a standard config matched to the right springs over average valving in a coilover every time.
GT 550 is offline   Reply With Quote