Sponsored

Tinting lights legality in NC

Austin552

Long member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic V6, 1968 White 5.0
See some in NC and VA have tinted lights. How can this pass inspection? Can I install brighter bulbs to help?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Austin552

Austin552

Long member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic V6, 1968 White 5.0
I like the way tinted lights look, just dont want to get a ticket or fail inspection.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Google the laws; tinting lights is not legal in most states.

People likely take them off for inspection and reapply. Most are teenagers and dont get the ramifications or dont care.

But get in an accident, especially at night, be prepared to explain that one to your insurance company when they deny covering you or you are found at fault for the accident

Just not worth it

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Google the laws; tinting lights is not legal in most states.

People likely take them off for inspection and reapply. Most are teenagers and dont get the ramifications or dont care.

But get in an accident, especially at night, be prepared to explain that one to your insurance company when they deny covering you or you are found at fault for the accident

Just not worth it
None of that is true. Most laws only state that brake lights must be visible from a certain distance. In Illinois for instance the distance is 500 feet. They don't care how it is done but it must be visible from that distance. I have demonstrated numerous times on these forums that tinted brake lights are easily visible from that distance. No insurance company will deny you coverage based on tinted lights as long as they pass the visibility laws. There has never been a rear-end accident where the following driver couldn't see the brake light from 500 feet away because they were tinted. They are almost all caused by following too close and not paying attention. Don't tint your lights if you want but don't spout misinformation to others.
Lights 522 Feet.jpg
Lights Off.jpg
Lights On.jpg

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
My old EB car passed inspection with tinted lights numerous times.

redgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 5.2 FPC Swap, Sync 3 Retrofit
Yeah but knowingly decreasing the effectiveness of safety appliances on your car for aesthetic purposes and modifying factory tested and government approved lighting will not ever be seen as a good thing to a judge or jury.
Sponsored