Sponsored

Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Interesting. The M240i and M2 have come across my mind as possibilities to replace my car with one day if I want something more upscale but still sporty (as have other similar cars, pretty sure I've said this before in another thread). I love BMW's, and the M2/M240i in their respective shades of blue are some of best looking cars in my eyes.

All of that flies out the window every time I pull out of my neighborhood and accelerate through the gears. Even though the Bimmer's are better appointed and undoubtedly more nimble, on top of being BMW's instead of Ford's, I would miss the power and V8 rumble too much.

You'll likely find a few negative nancy's throughout this thread, but it's silly to knock someone for driving something that they want. Congrats.
Sponsored

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
One random thing if you're comparing convertible to convertible. The 240 has active roll over protection while as far as I can tell even the '18 mustang is lacking this.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
One random thing if you're comparing convertible to convertible. The 240 has active roll over protection while as far as I can tell even the '18 mustang is lacking this.
I'm actually surprised some form of rollover protection for convertibles isn't mandatory by this point.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
If you want a performance 2 series/BMW buy an M2, don't but the 240i IMO. The only reason someone buys a 240i is they want a kinda performance orientated car but can't afford an M2. No other reason to buy a 240i unlike the other models.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Buy what you want man, it's your money, spend it how you please.

Go test drive one and see if it sparks something in you that makes you smile every time you drive it. That's really all that matters.

Sponsored

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
So you're thinking of paying $2k more for a car with less room and less engine?

I don't have any personal experience with BMW autos (love their bikes) but friends who own them seem to have a lot of issues post-warranty. You seem to buy a lot of cars so long term reliability may not matter to you, but for a lot of us it does.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
So we drove BMWs from 2005 to 2011, first a 330is with their Performance Package and then a 2008 M3. When the Coyote came out, we test drove, and were so impressed we switched to Mustangs. At that time a similarly optioned and powered Mustang was $20k less than an M3. We've been Mustang enthusiasts ever since, and have custom ordered three. (And we've owned four, the first was not a custom.)

Presently own a 2015 Fastback GT PP and a 2016 Convertible GT PP. Love them, but...

Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)

Anyone have thoughts on this. (Other than to suggest that I'm a troll, which I'm not, or to say something derogatory about San Francisco?)
Mustang out of the pocket evaporator core replacement 1300-1700 according to the thread here at the forum.

E90 non m3 evaporator core replacement cost $3800-4300 according to e90post. Yes, this is also common issue.

M3 will sure add to the maintenance cost.

Ammo50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Listen - I understand where you are coming from. I've owned a few BMWs myself:

2003 BMW 540iA M Sport
2007 BMW 335i Sport
2011 BMW 335i M Sport w/ JB4 Tune

In my opinion, BMW's are indeed the ultimate driving machine. They just handle so damn well, look sharp and are literally designed to be driven on the autobahn. Extremely efficient vehicles.

But here is my problem: They just cost too damn much. Sticker price on my last 2011? 52k! Being a little older now and more pennywise, I just cant justify spending all that money on a car that I will probably get rid of in a few years.

Nonetheless, do what your heart desires. There is NOTHING wrong with a 240i M. With a JB tune and intake, you will have a 12 second car that handles like no other. Good luck, my friend.

http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_JB4_bmw_performance_tuner.html

AC

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
is this the "Im getting old i need something more refined" voice in your head?

you old man. lol jk but seriously, i can understand the want for something more refined. But V8, the ay the car looks, the way the girls look, idk. This is my 3rd stang. I always didint like the repairs or mis aligned panels, but end of the day you accelerate like a bat outta hell, and your not another douche in a bmw. you get to be a douche in am mustang lol

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
No V8 Rumble on BMW? that is fixed right away when you move up to 5, 6, or 7 series... but at that point you're @ $70-80k. You can get a V8TT from factory, but since OP suggested $2k extra on Mustang. I'm gonna guess the smaller 2,3,4 series...
I've never been a BMW guy... been more of a MB kinda guy for the same money.
You can trade one of the Mustang and get a CPO BMW. That would scratch both spots.

Sponsored

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
don't get me wrong, I loved my E53 4.8is X5
just got sick of the long term repair costs, even though I did them all myself
keeping it in tip top shape was costing more than getting a new car, which made me hate it
I would rather have an M2/4/5/6, but the cost is wayyyyy higher for the same age vehicle
Stang still wins in the bang for the buck category and that's why I bought one instead of another bmw

My next purchase will be a X5M, in the distant future

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
don't get me wrong, I loved my E53 4.8is X5
just got sick of the long term repair costs, even though I did them all myself
keeping it in tip top shape was costing more than getting a new car, which made me hate it
I would rather have an M2/4/5/6, but the cost is wayyyyy higher for the same age vehicle
Stang still wins in the bang for the buck category and that's why I bought one instead of another bmw

My next purchase will be a X5M, in the distant future
Isn't that why people prefer to lease them instead of owning? Anyone I knew leasing a BMW had all maintenance and repairs covered by BMW so they weren't spending a dime.

Ammo50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Isn't that why people prefer to lease them instead of owning? Anyone I knew leasing a BMW had all maintenance and repairs covered by BMW so they weren't spending a dime.
Yeah, absolutely. Ownership costs on BMWs are expensive, everyone knows that. With a lease, you gas and go, then give it back when you are probably bored with it already. Everything is covered during the duration of the lease, though - which makes it appealing to many people..

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
How about you just keep both of your current Mustangs until the S650 comes out, then make a decision about trading in then?

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Before buying my S550, I seriously looked into buying an E92 BMW M3. Another possibility was a E46 M3 or E92 335i with mods.
I kept reading about the many common issues....turbo failures, HPFP issues, ignition coil issues, rear subframes that would crack, bearings on the M3 4.0L V8 that would eat themselves after 40,000 miles, etc.

Having owned a 2010 VW turbo diesel that had common HPFP issues that would seriously cost $8000 to fix. The intercooler would freeze up in cool weather....the engine would hydrolock upon next startup (after the frozen water in the intercooler melted). Drained 12 oz of water out of the intercooler piping one morning.

I love to work on cars....I discovered that the Germans don't build stuff with ease of maintenance or repair ease considered at all. Things as simple as a water pump are way harder to replace then it should be due to its design. At first it's a challenge, but it gets annoying after example after example of overly complicated design.

In contrast, the Coyote 5.0L is a very well designed and solid motor.
I've owned two Mustangs, and two Ford trucks....all have been very reliable vehicles.

Fun reading....not basing my opinion off these articles, but I agree with them.

BMW engines are pieces of....
https://www.google.com/amp/thegarag...es-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330/amp

German reliability myth:
http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/german-reliability-the-greatest-myth-ever-sold-to-amer-1572026115

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-to-own-a-ridiculously-cheap-and-reliable-porsche-91-1668638286
Sponsored