corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Philly Region runs some of their autocrosses on the abandoned airstrip at Warminster Community Park.

http://www.phillyscca.com/solo-autocross

That I personally know about, people have managed to hit finish line timing equipment, drive over curbs on exit lanes from the lot proper, and run off the pavement onto the grass. An engine fire (long time ago, carbureted engine with no air filter). And something involving a rather tall car with horribly mismatched tires (that probably wouldn't pass tech these days and shouldn't have then) with a huge driver error on top of all that. Overall, street driving risks are far higher.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like there might be 3-4 autocross clubs in the PA area.

http://www.scca-susq.com/autocross/calendar/
http://www.nepa-scca.com/
http://stcsolo.com/

Risk is usually very low, almost non-existant, if the courses are designed properly.

That said, accidents can happen. Usually its some thing like a car sliding into a curb (which while bad, isn't a total write off). I've only seen it happen once in 5 or so years of playing at the sport. A BMW hit a curb and had to replace an axle.

The low speeds at most autocross events (<60 mph, average ~45) mean that usually if something goes south, "both feet in" will bring the car to a stop long before you get close to hitting anything, and if you did _somehow_ manage to hit something it would be a lower speeds, unlike the time I went off into the grass at ~120 at a track day. That was exciting.

At autox events, the course is different every time, and you'll walk the course on foot a few times before you even drive it, so if something looks sketchy, you can either make a mental note to take it easy through that part or you can elect to go home that day.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Looks like there might be 3-4 autocross clubs in the PA area.

http://www.scca-susq.com/autocross/calendar/
http://www.nepa-scca.com/
http://stcsolo.com/

Risk is usually very low, almost non-existant, if the courses are designed properly.

That said, accidents can happen. Usually its some thing like a car sliding into a curb (which while bad, isn't a total write off). I've only seen it happen once in 5 or so years of playing at the sport. A BMW hit a curb and had to replace an axle.

The low speeds at most autocross events (<60 mph, average ~45) mean that usually if something goes south, "both feet in" will bring the car to a stop long before you get close to hitting anything, and if you did _somehow_ manage to hit something it would be a lower speeds, unlike the time I went off into the grass at ~120 at a track day. That was exciting.

At autox events, the course is different every time, and you'll walk the course on foot a few times before you even drive it, so if something looks sketchy, you can either make a mental note to take it easy through that part or you can elect to go home that day.
Thanks for that!

I actually had already emailed someone from nepa. I asked if they knew of any setups in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area. We'll see what they come back with.

Thanks again

-Emt1581

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
What happens when two cars occupy the same spot of track at the same time? What happens with the track insurance?

I would guess that it is no fault (even if there is blame), and so each driver's track insurance pays for each car. Unlike a street accident.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
What happens when two cars occupy the same spot of track at the same time? What happens with the track insurance?

I would guess that it is no fault (even if there is blame), and so each driver's track insurance pays for each car. Unlike a street accident.
100% correct , you could always be nice and pay the other guys deductible (10-15%) if you were at fault . I wouldn't expect that though :(

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If you guys in the Philly area want to run an autocross you're welcome to a ride with me and we have other instructors in the region that would be glad to help out... Risks are low, but I did dent a rocker panel on my old BRZ. PDR took care of it, but there is some risk. Track insurance won't cover autocross as it's a timed competition.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
If you guys in the Philly area want to run an autocross you're welcome to a ride with me and we have other instructors in the region that would be glad to help out... Risks are low, but I did dent a rocker panel on my old BRZ. PDR took care of it, but there is some risk. Track insurance won't cover autocross as it's a timed competition.

I don't track my Mustang (yet ) , but I'd like to do some AutoX , just need to know where to start ;)

BTW I track a BMW e36 .

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don't track my Mustang (yet ) , but I'd like to do some AutoX , just need to know where to start ;)

BTW I track a BMW e36 .
Tons of stuff in your area: http://www.autocrossers.org/

I'm friends with a bunch of people from down in your area, but I've yet to make it down there for an event. I was hoping to do the event on August 13th with WDCR, but looks like a work trip may be conflicting :doh:

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
While I emailed the closest autocross group president...never heard back.

At this point I'm going to just wait until I'm in a better position to use disposable income for autocross/track use. Until then I'll keep enjoying my car on the road and hope that I magically stumble on to some maneuvering vids on youtube.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
While I emailed the closest autocross group president...never heard back.

At this point I'm going to just wait until I'm in a better position to use disposable income for autocross/track use. Until then I'll keep enjoying my car on the road and hope that I magically stumble on to some maneuvering vids on youtube.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Just show up at the event. You do not need any disposable income to go autocrossing (other than entry fee which I am sure you can afford) and you do not need to hear from (what were the questions you asked anyway ? they should have schedule published on their website)
. My good female friend showed up recently in Chevy Malibu (convinced her to do that), had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

You won't learn _anything_ from vids, unless you go and try. Being timid about things like this and finding excuses (most common - I'm not ready - wtf ??) just delays your path to become a better driver. If you truly want to try, shut youtube down and go do it.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
If you truly want to try, shut youtube down and go do it.
Great comment actually. This coming from someone who would like to get more involved with a lower risk acceptance factor (due to the car being my daily driver ;) ).

Sometimes we get caught up living vicariously through someone's youtube track videos.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Autocross is fun but there is nothing like road racing, if you ever feel up to it. I just ran 2 days this weekend. $30K coverage 2 days for $200 10% Deductible. I REALLY DO NOT like to waste money, but for all that say you don't need insurance, even at @ a beginners HPDE, equipment does fail.

We had a driver lose his brakes going into the turn @ the end of the front straight, where you're dropping from about 110 to around 30 for the turn. He ran up into the sand but if anyone was in front of him it would not have been pretty. Wouldn't matter if there was an instructor in the car, or the guy was the worlds best driver.

Same thing on drag strips. Damage to your car is on you, no matter who caused it. Hence the od old saying "Never take a car to the track, you aren't willing to push off a cliff.

Insurance from a reputable company is money well spent, limits your risk to your deductible, and you are rolling the dice if you run without it.
Well, I don't intend to take the car and push it off a cliff - still two in college :) Having said that I like the insurance option and will factor that into the overall weekend budget for events. Thank you, and others, for the input. I really enjoy the car has a daily driver. I can only imagine how it would be in a proper setting.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Autocrossing...is that where they find big parking lots and set cones up to drive through? Or is is a dedicated track?

If the biggest concern would be a little orange paint to wipe off from hitting a cone too hard I'd be much less worried about insurance.

I am in eastern PA. Lehigh Valley area about 10min. from P-Burg.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Man I used to live in Easton. I know the ( maybe old) president for PA's Shelby American Automotive Club. He is a track rat, an instructor, huge mustang fan, and has a factory five cobra that is violent.

Let me know and I can dig up his info.

One thing to keep in mind, and most HPDE orgnizes will reiterate this. Your NOT racing. Open track days are structured and cordial. No one wants to turf their car.

Passing for most run groups is point by. While accidents can happen, you can avoid traffic and work at your pace.

Heck you can pit in, tell the man in the tower you want a gap, and they will get you back on the track with out of traffic.

Most events will pair you up with an instructor who may physically show you the line, or guide you through it. All those questions you have, they will answer and give on site feedback.

A big thing is talk to the other drivers in your run group, aside from rules. When there is a face and personality to the car everyone will have more fun, have more context, and be safer.

You will never get your monies worth out of your Mustang on the street. Get some chamber bolts, and take the car out, stay on tops of fluid changes with track use and enjoy it. A GTPP is plenty fun bone stock.

I had a miata for years and never took it to the track, biggest mistake I have made when it came to driving.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Autocross is fun but there is nothing like road racing,
I agree. Also, HPDE has nothing to do with road racing and talking about in the context of stock Mustang or OP wanting to get his skills up makes no sense.
Road racing (not track days or HPDEs) is licenses, medicals, prepped cars and so on.
Sponsored